Police Arrest Detroit ER Doctor for Performing Female Genital Mutilations Out of Her Private Office

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 13, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://ijr.com/2017/04/847336-polic...america&utm_campaign=ods&utm_content=Politics
    some people can't let go of their ignorance :(

2. ucfgrad93, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Gross. Assuming the Dr. is legit and board certified and all, instead of just jailing the doctor and wasting that human capital, why not kill two birds with one stone: Require the Dr. to work during the day on providing medical care to the homeless as a community service, and return to jail to spend the nights and to eat. Win-win.

4. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I bet 10 dollars that feminist/leftist publications don't write about his.

5. Ulenspiegel, Apr 13, 2017

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

It is an isolated case and has nothing to do with Islam.

6. Raid, Apr 13, 2017

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

There's too much speculation and broad assumptions about what another group thinks. How many feminist/leftist publications do you read anyway?

Now when do I collect the $10
    ?

As for my opinion the doctor should be fined, jailed and stripped of her practice.

7. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

What was that link for, brings me to a thread call delete me. I guess they thought someone might get offended.

8. unlinked macrumors 6502a

He?

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Looks like the OP in that thread was calling it fake news (based on the third post).

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Oops. Original post edited.

11. steve knight, Apr 13, 2017

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

right because they think it is fine.
    this is usually a thing done in rural areas hard to even imagine a doctor in the us doing it. wonder if she charged for this service?

12. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Ok Reza!!!

13. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Hopefully, the parents of these children will also be charged. They are far from innocent in this atrocity.

14. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Yeah. It's something not condoned in the west, but is required in other cultures. The families brought the girls to the doctor, as opposed to the doctor driving around in a white van kidnapping them. So the families as well as the doctor share some of the responsibility.

15. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

I'll take some of that action. Just donate my $10 to the Mike Rowe Works Foundation.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Globally, around 130 million women and girls are living with the effects from FGM and around 3 million undergo the procedure annually, according to the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA). The practice, known to be performed in 29 countries and usually at the hands of midwives or physicians, involves cutting the external female genitalia for non-medical reasons. Depending on local customs, it could also include additional modifications ranging from cutting away part of the clitoris to removing the inner and outer vaginal lips before sewing the remaining skin together, leaving a small hole for urination and menstrual blood.

The practice predates religion and has no religious significance in either Islam nor Christianity. However, communities of both faiths continue to circumcise their daughters, believing it will cleanse or purify the girl, ensure she remains sexually chaste, prevent cheating on her future husband and keep her behaving well.

In the past year, FGM has come under greater scrutiny in the international community. In Egypt, where female circumcision is illegal, a doctor named Raslan Fadl was sentenced to two years in prison for manslaughter in January for performing an FGM operation that killed 13-year-old Sohair al-Batea in 2013. This was the country’s first FGM conviction. The U.K. also had its first-ever FGM trial this year, but Dr. Dhanuson Dharmasena, who was accused of illegally performing FGM on a woman in London days after she gave birth, was acquitted on Wednesday.

17. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

18. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Just remember if you don't agree with this practice then you're a nazi skinhead KKK racist mysogynist islamophobe.

19. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

OK makes perfect sense really it does actually it is Cole slaw salad.

20. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Are you kidding me? How did you manage to miss all those women protest marches? We're one snowflake away from unwanted eye contact being categorized as sexual assault. What this doctor did is at least 5 notches above that.

21. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Never change steve

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

So you agree with Cole slaw?

23. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Wrong it seems but most here are trying to collect $10 instead of condemning the act , not that I blame them :p

24. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

No they are just pointing out a foolish bet. How much did it cost you??