Police bodycam footage of woman, 65, resisting arrest sparks outrage:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 1, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/bod...esisting-arrest-sparks-outrage-211357304.html
    play stupid games...............

2. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

And here I thought I was gonna catch up on news of the Hong Kong pro-democracy demonstrations. I probably should have known better. :rolleyes:

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

4. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

What a racist cop. She’s white and is entitled to her white privilege.

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

She did get her white privilege, which is what the twitter users were pointing out.

She did NOT get shot.

It seems phantom firearms are supposedly easier to see on PoC.

6. raqball macrumors 68000

Am I the only person who laughed at this?

Stupid is as stupid does...

Contrary to what the race baiters and race mongers shout at the sky 99.9% of Law Enforcement encounters end without issue IF the person behaves as a rational, well adjusted adult and follows orders..

She did not and got to ride the lightning.. I applaud this video and laugh at her stupidity....

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

This is really simple, at it applies to white, brown, blacks, yellow, etc. The time to argue about "your rights" is in front of a judge, not to a LEO. There's like a 99.9% chance nothing bad happens to you if you just follow their orders. Resisting their orders is a sure fire way to escalate a situation that nobody (not even LEO) wants escalated. All of this over a $80 equipment violation, not even a moving violation.

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

boils down to picking your battles wisely. sign the damn thing and go to court.

9. appleisking macrumors 6502a

There's still no evidence anything different would've happened if she were black.

10. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

No. None at all, just people making stuff up.

I don't know where people keep getting such ideas. :rolleyes:

Some people wish it would just stop! :mad:

11. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Only people of color are the victims. Yeah we get it.

12. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Obviously not.

Since that is literally NOTHING I said. I didn't even mention PoC.

But, color me surprised at that.

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

see below

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

About 53 millions of Americans have encounters with police in a year, this is about 21% of the adults.
    27 millions of them had an encounter initiated by the police.
    About 1,000 (about 0.37% of police initiated, and 0.002% of all encounters) of these encounters end up in death, and this number is regardless of how many were actually dangerous.

So no, the numbers are clear that given the tiny amount of encounters that end up in death (regardless of fault), the assertion that substituting a white individual with a black individual will most necessarily end up in the death of the individual is false.

15. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Granted.

I think that's been true though right? I mean I see a lot of PoC shot because a gun was seen, but it isn't found.

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/
    You are doing your stat based on overall encounters. This is based on just actual people killed by police.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Come on, we already have this discussion ;)
    Yes, blacks were 25% (287 individuals) of those killed by the police, but they also amount for 35% of the offenders for Violent Crime (of which, 35% for assault, and a stunning 48% for homicide). In addition blacks amount for 61% of the offenders for Robbery (which is now not a violent crime despite the violent component). Blacks are also 25% of those who commit Crimes against property.
    So, why would the enforcement (and sadly, killing) rate would be any different than the criminal behavior?

At any rate, this is not what I am arguing. I am simply saying that given the low number of overall police killings (regardless of fault) saying that "if I were black I'd be dead" is a stupid way to play the race card for the simple reason that almost no one - when compared to the tens of millions of individuals who encounter police - gets killed.

17. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Quite interesting how such incidents are handled from country to country. In some countries some would be ok with shooting someone over a ticket and traffic stop. In Asia most officers would throw the ticket in the car and leave as they would see it as their job to cite the person found to be in violation only and not to provoke the traffic violation into something bigger. The approach to incidents like this really vary from country to country. In Taiwan or China for example they would have ticketed the person, put the ticket in the car, took a photograph of the incident and left the scene. In America most would escalate this into drawing their guns. What many people fail to realize is that this approach method falls more into the communist or dictatorship run countries. In reality though it is quite rare that a traffic violation fine leads to the arrest of a person even in countries run by dictators and communists unless of course the charges are beyond excessive where a special court order for arrest was passed.

I am not saying the lady was 100% right but as you can see how something minor here lead to her arrest with possible major charges. Now look into the million plus people protesting in Hong Kong. We have not seen that many arrests and charges brought upon this protesters. Had those protests taken place in the US imagine how many people would have been for the arrest and charges against all those people. This comes to show the reality of how different countries deal with people who protest ;) Taiwan and Hong Kong in my opinion are two of the more lenient and tolerant countries.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2019 ---
    I agree with you here but this brings to light that in a so called Democratic country if you don't sign you get tasered and go to jail with a possibility of $1000's in fines after where as in other Democratic and even communist and dictatorship run countries this would not always be the case ;)

18. yaxomoxay, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019

yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

@JayMysterio , so I downloaded the database from the website you mentioned, and I quickly pivot tabled the data.

Using the cumulative 2013 to 2018, by race:

Race # %
    White 3081 45%

Black 1770 26%

Using the FBI data for OVERALL crime, offenders by race in 2017 (last available data):
    White 56%
    Black or African American 27%

And this for VIOLENT crime (without Robbery), offenders by race in 2017 (last available data):
    White 58%
    Black or African American 35%

(if I add robbery it becomes White 56%, Black 37%)

It seems to me that for the races the deadly shooting % (regardless of fault) more or less follows the race of the offenders.

EDIT: Now, relative to the population, Blacks commit more crimes than Whites:
    White: 75% population (reminder: amount for 56% of all crime)
    Black: 16% population (reminder: amounts for 27% of all crime)

19. Mousse macrumors 68020

Mousse

People like to paint law enforcement with a broad brush. It's unknown if THIS officer would have shoot a black woman. THIS officer showed incredible restraint.

I would have pulled out my billy club and...erm...have a temporary body cam malfunction. But that's me. You don't kick me in the nuts without consequences.:mad:

20. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Thing is she STILL doesn’t think what she did was unacceptable.
    She admitted to knowing her tail light was out, refused to sign the ticket, ran from the police, ignored police orders and assaulted the officer.

So I am supposed to feel bad for her?

21. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

SHOULD feel bad for her husband :p

22. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

But it isn't playing the race card, it's using the specific stat of unarmed individuals killed by police your chances of being killed improve based on your race. That's just statistical.

One of my favorite examples of making one go, "If that was a black guy, he'd be dead", is the guy who sued & won against Colorado police.

Now when I showed this video originally to people, an interesting thing was brought to my attention by a friend. If you are a PoC it seems that they looked at this with complete shock, because there is an engrained belief that it's basic survival instincts NOT to even consider what these men did. From a few other white friends that my friend showed this to, their reaction according to her, was in remarking on the men's behavior, but NO concern about being killed.

It isn't playing the race card, it's considered just a regular run of the mill fact for many PoC.

23. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

She refused to exit the vehicle when ordered and then took off while detained. If ever there was any rules when dealing with cops it's always respect their authority, don't make them feel threatened, and don't make them come after you. It never ends well for the perp. In this case the woman is lucky she was only tasered as cars have been riddled with dozens of bullets in different circumstances.

FWIW, I don't think the reason she's alive is down to race so much as down to the cop sized the situation and realized it was an angry older woman who wasn't packing.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

(I am on the go sorry for the short reply, you do deserve more...)
    No the data does not support that if she changed her race from W to B then she would've been killed. Why? There aren't many cases that end up in being killed compared to the insane amount of encounters for all races. Does this deny racism - even deadly racism - towards PoC? No. But let's not hyperbole each and every encounter.