Police brutality over a PAID bus fair

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SoAnyway, Feb 27, 2014.

1. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

Still not convinced that we live in a police state and police brutality is worse than ever? Well here's a video of the fine men and women of the NYPD "doing their job" by victimizing a man over a paid bus fair. (The video may be unsettling to some)

Video of NYPD cops arresting man in Bronx goes viral

The man in the video showed his bus ticket after the police demanded it and should have been let go right there and then. On top of that, the officers give him no reason for holding him after seeing his ticket and instead, call more of their goons to help take him away.

How much more of this crap do we have to put up with from those that have sworn to protect and serve the public?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Did they arrest him for resisting arrest?

Always a fun charge, when the original reason for the cop to talk-stop the person falls through, and isn't actionable.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We have no footage from before he was stopped, he could have been acting like a total asshat on the bus for all we know. Thats the only time that police show up at our bus stops.

I don't really see the brutality, he was restrained for questioning, was acting erratically while they were waiting for backup and then attempted to get up and leave the scene, he was the one flailing all over the place and then the police put him against the ground to get the cuffs on. Thats what happens when you act like an asshat.

The whole story hinges on whether the police had a reason to question him.

4. SoAnyway thread starter macrumors 6502

If there was a reason to hold him, the thugs hiding behind their badge would have given him a reason for holding him when he asked. Instead, they kept holding him until he had enough and got up to leave.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Probably because he was acting erratic like he was on drugs. If he would have calmly asked what he was being held for, they probably wouldn't have had to hold him down, and two, they wouldn't have had a reason to book him anyways.

But no, yelling, getting up when the police still have you detained and then flailing all over the place is probably a better idea. :rolleyes:

6. SoAnyway thread starter macrumors 6502

You're failing at envisioning yourself in his shoes.

Suppose you were this man and those two officers grabbed you without warning, more than likely based off the color of his skin, forced you to sit down and produce your paid bus ticket then refused to let you go despite how many times you ask, think you could be as clam as you claim?

Then after being fed up of the situation, you try to leave because they gave you no reason to continue to detain you then wrestle you to the ground. Think you'd be clam with 6 of those goons on top of you?

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I would ask once or twice and then wait for them to leave once I presented my bus ticket, you have no reference to what occurred before this and this doesn't look like a routine "Let me see your bus ticket" stop. From his over the top antics I can only imagine he was making a disturbance on the bus which is why the police were on location.

First off, you don't get up when an officer has you detained, you wait for them to release you. Best case scenario is you shut your mouth and ask for your lawyer.

8. SoAnyway thread starter macrumors 6502

You have no reference for what happened either and this could very well be a fishing expedition for paid bus tickets. For all you know, this man may have been harassed by police like this so often that this is the time he finally had enough of their shenanigans and went off on them like he did.

What this looks like to me is a case of "respect my authority".

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

So it's okay for an officer to have you grabbed up like some type of dog on a leash, even after he provided them with the ticket and I.D, without no explanation?

Also, there were plenty of moments when he was calm in the video. There's a problem when police can basically detain you without any cause.

I know the mayor just got in office, but I hope he steps it up soon to stop this harassment.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't think we can say one way or other who is at fault here yet--but the footage certainly warrants an investigation.

This may be police brutality or it may not be--but I don't see the reason to post a video, make an assumption and then try to get others angry when we simply don't have all the facts.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You can clearly hear the guy behind the camera saying the cops snatched him up as soon as he exited the bus. It's a slim chance that it's anything but profiling.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yes because we can trust the word of anyone with a cellphone to record without question.

Hopefully the bus has cameras, this definitely warrants investigation.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Or we can trust the cops word .... Oh wait, they don't speak.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

:rolleyes:

15. SoAnyway thread starter macrumors 6502

So you don't see the merit with an average person posting a video of police brutality? You don't see the merit with exposing the truth about those who supposedly swear to protect and serve the public?

I guess you may just want to ignore these all together and not hold officers accountable for their actions....

----------

Yeah exactly, we all know that cops always tell the truth. :rolleyes:

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Man, what is this, the 6th police brutality thread this week? This country and their militarized thug militia is out of control. Welcome to the 21st century USSR, folks.

Where does this type of crap end? The police brutality and power trips that happen in this country on a daily basis needs to stop. Start prosecuting these cops with abusing their power, and if convicted (not by a biased, rigged internal investigation but by a real jury), they should face 25 years in prison minimum.

Maybe we could re-open alcatraz and throw all the power-abusing cops in there.

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I have seen this kind of thing before. I do not think police understand how upsetting it is to be confronted by them, anor how much of a violation of personal space it is when they grab somebody. Sickening abuse of authority....

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you're a policeman going to prison for even a week is going to be tough. You'll be below pedophiles in the prison hierarchy.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That would make Alcatraz an even better idea.

Rogue cops only need "apply".

Let them work out their aggression against each other, and screw protective custody.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Or better yet a military prison.

21. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

22. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

[​IMG]

23. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Consider it your new life mantra for when you get pulled over for a random DUI, suspicious activity or resembling someone, or getting a ticket.

No matter what happens, at least you didn't get raped.

Don't want to end up with a plunger handle in your rectum, so take that illegal detainment, tasing and pepper spray with a smile, because it's better not to be Abner Louima

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abner_Louima