Police chief arrested for driving patrol car while drunk. Fark: It's his third DUI an

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Dec 16, 2014.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I can't believe that he was still a cop after the first DUI let alone the second and actually becoming cheif.
    http://kfor.com/2014/12/15/oklahoma-police-chief-arrested-for-allegedly-driving-patrol-car-drunk/
    COLCORD, Okla. – A chief of an Oklahoma police department found himself on the wrong side of the law after being arrested for allegedly driving under the influence.

Chief Lenden Woodruff, with the Colcord Police Department, was arrested by Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers on Sunday.

Troopers say they suspected Woodruff was driving his police cruiser drunk in Delaware County.

Before authorities arrived, they say Colcord councilor Cody Gibby tried to stop Woodruff from driving away.

He said Woodruff had purchased beer and was acting drunk.

However, they say Woodruff allegedly drove his car toward the man in an attempt to run him over.

Fortunately, Gibby only suffered minor injuries.

This is not the first time Woodruff has been in trouble with the law for driving under the influence.

City council members in Colcord say Woodruff would frequently buy beer while in his police cruiser.

In 2004, Woodruff was arrested after driving drunk in an unmarked sheriff’s vehicle.

Woodruff, who was the sheriff at the time, was convicted of the DUI charge.

In 2008, he was arrested again for drunken driving and pleaded guilty to DUI and carrying a firearm while under the influence.

For his latest arrest, he could face a felony charge of DUI and assault with a deadly weapon.

Gibby says they had been investigating Woodruff for several months and believes residents in town are relieved.

“I think that they’re upset to know that the rumors have been true, but I think they’re also proud that our board stepped up and did what was right and put it in the law’s hands,” he said.

On Monday morning, he bonded out of jail

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

take away the badge and the gun, give him a few months in jail to dry up

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Na I think they thought he is better serving his time serving the public

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The state should expunge the records of every DUI bust this turd made while he was pretending to be a LEO.

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The state should treat this just like every other case. They should take him to trial and give him the punishment that they give every other third offense DUI. The city should suspend him without pay until the outcome of the court case. If he is found guilty, terminate his employment. Why they didn't do this the first two times, I can't answer but he should get no special treatment because he is the police chief (either better or worse). His job should have no bearing on the outcome.

6. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

he did it while on the job they should have fired him the first time. to have two DUI's one on the job should have been the end of him. that's the usually. he must have friends in high places.

7. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I agree, they should have fired him the first two times. Punishment for an action needs to be timely. They didn't do it on the first two. They now need to address this one. As I said, suspend him without pay until the outcome of his court case. If he is adjudicated guilty, then terminate him and of course, sentence him to whatever a 3rd offense DUI gets in that state.

8. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol are cops, right? And since all cops are untrustworthy thugs I just don't know what to think.

9. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

When reading a little deeper, I understand why he was not fired in the 2004 occurrence when he got his first DUI. He was the elected sheriff at the time. The sheriff is a constitutional elected officer and can't be fired. They have to either resign, lose an election or be impeached. Not likely to happen on a misdemeanor. The sheriff actually runs the sheriff department and is not actually required to be a lawman to get elected. I do not know if he was sheriff during the 2008 DUI.

This time it is a felony and he's local police chief, not an elected position. Big question is why no one at least ran his driver's license before appointing him police chief? Did the check for arrests?

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That really isn't fair :(. But the US police do need to reform and get their house in order.

----------

Probably an understandable screwup.

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Sorry, no offense intended at all. Since this was such an extremely obvious case I thought it was safe to be sarcastically ridiculous. I would not say it in the Harold Thomas - NYPD case. That would really be unfair and out of line.

12. sim667 macrumors 65816

I cant get the image of jim lahey from trailer park boys out of my head when reading this thread.

13. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Until this kind of crap stops happening, the public will not put their trust in the police.

Police unions need to be curtailed so they stop protecting the bad apples.

-t

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Unions have nothing to do with this case. The first two DUI's he was the elected sheriff of the county. That is a constitutional position. You can't be fired from it for a misdemeanor. Now, this time, he is the Police Chief which is an appointed position. If convicted he can be fired. In addition, 3rd offense DUI is a felony.

15. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Sure, but do you not think its a little hypocritical to have your sheriff (who makes arrests for DUIs) be caught DUI-ing and still retaining his job?

16. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Maybe but sheriff is not required to be a lawman. Sheriff is an elected position. Just as the mayor, who is technically over the police department. We have a procedure for how we remove elected people from office.