Police chiefs arrested for impounding cars for profit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 6, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

awesome., hope more get arrested.

2. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I've always wondered how/why we tolerate confiscated items, ticket revenue, etc going *directly into* the coffers of the police department that did the confiscating, ticketing, etc.

I would think that is THE most blatant conflict of interest EVER.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

should not be tolerated.
    people with incentives are more likely to bend the rules as it suits them.

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I'd argue that the whole for profit prison system is still more deserving of that title.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This.

So many smaller cities and towns rely solely on ticket revenue to operate, so they park a cop at the bottom of a hill with a radar gun pulling over anybody doing 42 in a 40.

Ticket revenue, etc, should go to charity. 100% of it. The charity shouldn't even be up to the city to decide because there's too much room for corruption from kickbacks or just even letting them accept money on behalf of a charity. A receipt from a 501c3 of your choice is proof you paid the ticket.

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Towing. Tickets. Impounding. Booting.

It's all the same nonsense of trying to make law enforcement a revenue generating mechanism, which it absolutely should not be. This just encourages petty laws that encourage police to increasingly invade the lives of everyday people, which creates more roadside anal penetrations, tasings, pepper sprays, inappropriate detention, and shootings.

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

What about the cities who privatize this, thus putting the same system into the hands of a company driven by a profit motive, or worse…shareholders? Atlanta's "ParkAtlanta" comes to mind.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

When I drove I had my car towed only once. I paid the parking ticket, collected the car and ... CRASH. The idiots messed with the steering cables when trying to tow the car and about 300 yards down the road I lost all steering and had an accident. I have a very dim view of towing, especially if it is done from private parking lots for profit.

FWIW the towing company caved pretty quickly and paid for the damage and my medical treatment. They tried to deny it at first, then I threatened to tell my story to the paper. They even paid my parking fine as a gesture of ass covering 'good will'.

9. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Arrested? Don't you think that is a little harsh?

We are talking about the police right?
    Don't they normally just get administrative leave and then there is an internal investigation and if warranted a reprimand for these kinds of things?

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why is everyone so down on private enterprise?

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Because they've "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to" them. ;)

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Predatory towing is under fire in many cities. There was a big issue with predatory towing and booting in Provo, UT not that long ago.

In this case it's the police who have incredible accountability dodging abilities and might just pull you over and kill you "accidentally" if they know you are making a stink.

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I had a summer job with NASA in 1961. South of Huntsville was a totally-dry county. The sheriff (or his deputies) there would impound any car wherein was found any beer, wine or whiskey. The judge would order the car sold to pay the fine. Out-of-state cars were the primary target, particularly the more expensive varieties.

IOW, some things never change.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Did you try reading the article linked ?

15. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Yes, I did and it seems strange to have police arrested for this type of thing.

I have seen police threaten and physically accost innocent people and not get charged with ANY CRIME, get paid time off("administrative leave") for doing it("internal investigation") and the only information they will release is they were "reprimanded or disciplined internally" everything else is confidential.

16. samiwas macrumors 65816

I'm not down on private enterprise in general, although I don't worship at their feet as many do.

However, I am very down on privatization of things like parking tickets, prisons, etc. Things where a profit motive drives a desire to increase ticketing, imprisonment, etc. No good can come from things like that.

17. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

See "Lincoln Towing Service" in Chicago, which was so notorious for this in the 60s/70s that Steve Goodman (folk singer) wrote a song about it in 1972.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Towing_Service

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Hope it happens more often :D

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I thought somebody here had referenced this article, but, I don't see it, so, I will post it. Pretty frightening how widespread this is, actually. This article is from Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/instituteforjustice/2014/03/12/cops-use-traffic-stops-to-seize-millions-from-drivers-never-charged-with-a-crime/