Police completely lie about events leading up to shooting of child.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Technarchy, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

What did cops say happened when they shot and killed a 12 year old?

1. There was a group of males
    2. They saw him put the gun in his pants
    3. Black male in 20's
    4. Gave boy 3 orders to drop weapon
    5. Boy reached into his belt and pulled a weapon...

This is all 100% ********.

WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-watched-lie-agony-died-just-hours-later.html

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/what-happened-to-tamir-rice--366078531874

http://www.mediaite.com/online/clev...shooting-they-have-a-lot-of-explaining-to-do/

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Hard to justify the actions of the police when seeing that video.

3. Huntn, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Same incident: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1822273?

What it shows is that you can't trust the word of anyone who has taken a life in any capacity, official or otherwise. They may be truthful or maybe not. I'm sure this is why some police don't want cameras because when mistakes are made it's harder to avoid the consequences.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

5. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think we already had a thread on this, But I think this is further evidence of why there is a need for police to have cameras on them. From what they said it seemed to be justified, but now that the video has come out it is very difficult if not impossible to defend them.

7. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

My faith in Law Enforcement Officers in the United States is at an all time low.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Few bad apples to not represent the whole department

9. chown33 macrumors 604

I think he changed his name to Godot.

10. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 604

Technarchy

Then the police leadership, political hierarchy, unions and support structure needs to be better able and willing to hold those cops accountable with the same penalties that we would face.

Just imagine how quick you'd be in county if video evidence about a shoot went public and completely refuted your statement. There would be no sitting in your house, playing XBox waiting for a statement from the PBA, collecting a check from the tax payers.

Until then, it's all bad apples.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To be fair southern dad isn't the only person who blindly defends the police.

But that blind defence is a problem regardless of who does it.

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This is one of the reasons that the world, is very wary of the US playing World POLICEMAN.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That the thing, these organizations have to take the bull by the horn and instill a standard, make it clear what the standards are, and what is not acceptable. The "good guys" have to take charge because the bad ones makes everyone's job harder.

I may have been placing too much confidence on body cams as a solution. Last night I listened to a PBS report on police body cameras, and was kinda but really not surprised to hear that in departments were police were equipped, that in some cases were inappropriate actions were suspected, that magically there was no recording produced. The accusation was leved that police departments look after themselves first. The problem is that the officer the one who may be incriminating themselves, has control of the recording. Don't know what the answer is for that.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Then hold the officer responsible if there is no recording.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm not sure body cameras are the answer - not because there isn't a need, but because I'm not sure how you work out the logistics of it. Where do you put it so that it (1) isn't in the way, and (2) not going to be obstructed by the officer doing his/her job normally?

Dashcams can at least run on the car's power. A body camera needs batteries. How do we make sure these stay charged regularly?

I think the idea of a body camera sounds appealing and all, but I think it needs a LOT more thought before trying to implement it as a solution to something.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The technology exists. The answer could be a continuous video stream uploaded to the cloud. A hookup in the car to charge. There still has to be integrity within the dept for it to make a difference.

http://www.utility.com/products/#bodyworn

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Good point. Every time there is a shooting that isn't captured perfectly by the body cam, people will be screaming "CONSPIRACY."

That said, they are better than what we have now.

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

What I never get with these discussions is if it’s technology to SPY on law abiding citizens money is no object.:eek:

But if you talk about technology being used to hold law enforcement to accountability then it’s suddenly far to expensive.:(

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Then the police had better make sure they work ;).

20. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

No, I've seen this also, where officers have incriminated themselves then set about to discredit the witness and destroy the evidence. I just watched a thing on someone who got caught with drug paraphernalia, but had their head caved in with excessive force to get them to spit out a bag of dope.

Now two wrongs don't make a right here, but as far as I'm concerned that kind of police brutality makes the officer as bad as the suspect who was carrying whatever drugs they were carrying for personal use.

At some point we've also got to remember that these people are there to enforce the law, they are not the law unto themselves.

21. Keukasmallie macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

Sounds to me like "police" are no different than any large group of organized people (company employees, church parishioners, union members)- some good, some great, some scum bags. While the degree of seriousness of tasks assigned is much more significant for police, it's not startling that some horrific things happen.

The key to addressing those negative issues is a procedure that surfaces facts involved then responds to those facts w/o influence from other groups. In the case of the shooting in Ferguson, facts appear to have driven the officer's actions much as facts drove the grand jury's decision. On the other hand, a wide range of emotions, some focused, some not, fueled the popular outcry/rioting that we've all come to know over the past weeks.

Google the name Gilbert Collar and compare his situation to Michael Brown's....

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How do you know facts drove the grand juries decision?

23. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

The case of a white kid who was up to his eyeballs on drugs and recorded and put out there in the open for the press to see bares little resemblance to the case against Michael Brown which has seen a deliberate low information cover up of the facts on the matter.

If the information was out there about Michael Brown and people could actually have judged what happened even post the events that occurred we may well not have seen the strong reaction from the communities involved in the St. Louis area.

We won't know that however, because of the way the case has been handled since. The Ferguson police department would have benefited straight out by holding a press conference, or multiple conferences to bring the level of tension down and letting the media know what information they had on hand from the beginning. However none of this has really happened.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Localoid and I talked about the logistics of that back when SD was advocating using body cams for realtime facial recognition out in the field. Every active police officer in the country, streaming video feed from their chest to the cloud 24 hours a day, would cost billions to implement, and would eat up almost all the available bandwidth the country is able to provide.

I'm all for vest cams, both for the protection of the public, and the safety of the police. But the only real way to do it without costing the earth would be to rely on the honor system, with the officer only turning on his vest cam every time he makes a stop or checks in on something.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My guess there is no problem turning it on. The problem comes afterwards when the officer decides the video helps or hurts him/her.