Police DON'T Shoot: Film Shoot Mistaken for Coffee Shop Armed Robbery

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Aug 3, 2013.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Thank goodness this policeman was able to overcome his training and actually think for a split-second and actually not shoot during this mixup:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Glendora-Coffee-Shop-Film-Shoot-Almost-Ends-in-Police-Shooting-218050451.html

It is a little bit like "man bites dog". The headline story being that the police didn't let off 17 rounds first and ask questions later. I'm sure they will be criticized for it.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Whose? The filmmakers who didn't get a permit or tell local officials about the shoot?

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As far as I know police aren't trained to shoot unless there is a weapon involved and there is movement towards using it. I think thats where the typical "Police, put down the weapon" comes from.

6. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

It is what it is..

Stupid lady for calling the police.
    Stupid police for not noticing the camera crew.
    Stupid film makers for not notifying the city.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

She wouldn't have been able to see the orange tips that indicated they were fake, as she was probably behind them. The filmmakers were probably broke and trying to avoid the cost of permits by being discreet.

I'm fairly certain Skunk sarcastically suggested that with adequate training the officers would have shot on sight.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

They don't need a permit to film I believe, but the producer is an idiot. All they needed to do is call the local police and tell them they were going to be filming that scene at that location. They also could have had a PA outside or some sort of signage to notify people in the area that it was just a film shoot.

At least the police didn't shoot first and ask questions later in this situation.

9. citizenzen Suspended

What?! Was she supposed to check with the masked men and ask if their guns were real?

How big was the crew? Were they professionals, students or amateurs? What cameras, sound and lighting were they using? Were they in the middle of the shoot or in the process or setting up or breaking down?

The answers to these questions would help to determine how visible they were and how "stupid" the police were for not noticing them.

On that point, I'll agree.

10. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

With or without the orange tips it didn't appear she was at risk. Why didn't she just walk away? She had no obligation to call the police.

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Aye. Screw the people in the coffee shop.

As long as I'm alright.

12. citizenzen Suspended

It didn't say how close she came to the "gunmen" or whether she was seen by them. She could have witnessed the scene from a safe enough distance to tell that it was a potentially dangerous/criminal situation without being immediately at risk herself.

And I hope you're not suggesting that anybody witnessing possible criminal activity should simply walk away and not alert the police, potentially leaving others at risk.

That would be highly irresponsible.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

She clearly thought the people in the coffee shop were in danger. Am I missing something here? I realize that if they really wanted to hold up a coffee shop, they would probably be more discreet in choice of firearms for a target that may not keep more than a couple hundred in their register.

14. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

We have been told time and time again we are not the police!

Public safety is the job of law enforcement not ours. If she was not at risk of harm she should have left immediately, that is all. Calling the police only puts her at undue risk.

----------

If she is not at risk that is 100% not her problem. That is a police matter, not hers.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, no, they should summon a meeting as soon as all the villagers are available to decide on a course of action without government agencies getting involved with their threats of force. Vivat Libertas!

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

That's not a very good attitude.

What happens when you're having a heart attack and somebody sees you, but instead of calling EMS or trying to help, they just think "it's not my job" and walk away? Then you're dead.

You rely on others all the time living in society. Decent people would pay that back (or pay it forward) in emergency circumstances. That's one of the things that truly separates good men from an ordinary nobody.

17. citizenzen Suspended

Have you read the linked news story in the OP?

You say she should have left immediately.

She did leave immediately.

She "ran back to her car and called 911."

Please explain how making that phone call put her at "undue risk".

18. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

So if I see you get shot, I won't call 911. Will let you bleed out. Putting myself at risk doing what is right is not worth it....

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm pretty sure that poster is being sarcastic. I mean, I really, really hope they are. For what end, I don't know....

20. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Probably. I just don't know with him. Seeing how he sees nothing wrong with the idiot police chief, I don't know what he really thinks.....

21. samiwas macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure he's just yanking everyone's chain, seeing what kind of reaction he can get. I can't imagine this attitude based in any reality.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Police only respond if someone reports an incident. I don't see who you would expect to do that if those passing by are forbidden. It's unlikely that police would simply spot such a thing while on patrol.

23. Andeavor macrumors 6502

In most cities you need a permit to shoot on the streets as well on public property and in case of filming an armed robbery you need to inform the local police as well. In a perfect scenario they might even send someone to check up on you.

Good for the officer to recognize the situation and boo! for the filmmakers for being stupid.

24. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

For what it's worth, per the article linked in the OP:

"According to Glendora's website, an $828 film permit is not required if you can do your shoot without disturbing public peace and safety."

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I guess they needed that permit....