Police extortion .... Would you be glad this happen to you?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Aug 22, 2015.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Being honest ...... Even though I know it's dead wrong, I would be thankful if this happened to me. Sure officer, here's $50 for them tickets, have a great day. :)

Would cost much less and be less of a headache than a tow and fines.

But the reality is ..... that officer has no idea who those guys are, letting them off with an unregistered car. What if the driver caused a fatal accident later on, or committed a robbery using the vehicle? And it leaves the officer in question of what other practices he does.

BTW .... He's got to be Sooooo fired.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I can't believe that these guys were dumb enough to turn over the video. They basically had a "get out of jail for free card" and all it cost them was $50. That cop would have taken care of any type of ticket they ever got out of fear of them turning over the video.

4. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

So your answer is to extort a cop? That would have been extremely dumb if they tried that.

5. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

No, more like renegotiating the original deal. And exactly why would that have been extremely dumb?

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Not me. I'd rather pay a full fine rather than encourage that kind of corruption.

7. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Trust me, you won't win that battle.

I agree, but when it happens on the spot, most give in.

I myself was extorted, not as blatantly as this though. When I was in Pensacola, Fl, I got pulled over and I was excessively speeding. Long story short, I had to listen to him preach to me bible verses and promise to show at his church to avoid a serious ticket and possibility reckless driving charges.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

This is an ongoing sore spot with me.

As citizens we "support" police and fire departments through our taxes. Police officers get a good salary, have excellent benefits and job security. Most police officers can retire with a full pension after working twenty years. (How many private sector people can say the same?)

If a police officer is injured or killed in the line of duty, it is up to the city or state to make financial arrangements for his or her family. Thats not a matter of "charity."

And so I am extremely resentful when I see the "XX Sheriffs Association" etc. pop up on my caller-id. I get madder still when you start a conversation with these people and they pretend they are calling on official police business. I'm very tempted to quote a the title of a well-known NWA song when my buddy "Sergeant XXX" asks me if I support the local department. And more disturbing still: many of these police "charities" spend a minuscule percentage of the amount raised on actual paid out benefits. The vast majority of your "donation" goes to professional fundraising organizations. Owned by God-knows who.

Its long past time that we put an end to these organized shakedowns.

9. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

What battle am I trying to win? And btw, you're subject to the same potential retaliation for turning over the video as you would be for threatening to do so. It is the same result either way.

10. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Your assuming that happens every time, and they will LEGALLY be in trouble.

11. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I was in Ukraine back in 2012 and had this happen on the way from the airport to our relatives house. Only difference is there it's expected. I don't want that type of nonsense becoming so commonplace here. I would turn over the video.

12. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Looks fake.

However after searching the web, sadly it appears to be real.

I would like a study done on how many police are dirty. 1%, 5%, 10%, 20%?

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I've received calls from a similar organization although I don't recall the name. I was unsure whether it was even a legitimate charity. I listened to one of these callers for a minute or so. He didn't offer information. It was just a string of nonsense to garner sympathy without any proof that this was in fact a legitimate charity.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's likely a small percentage, say 10-15. When you include the cops who allow this crap to go on, it's probably more than 50%. Bad cops can't continue unless so-called good cops speak up.

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Wish I could give this a million thumbs up. Crooked cops are an issue, but the ones who look the other way may actually outnumber them. Blue code.

16. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I can only speak about my department, but donations to the POA goes to the dozens of charity organization it supports: scholarships, Make A Wish, youth clubs for troubled or underprivileged kids, and a donation to the National Police Memorial. Those donations are underwritten by the officers and in part helped by professional companies hired by the POA. Some of those companies misrepresent themselves and imply certain favors might be granted to those making a donation (a bumper sticker is given to each donor). When we caught them the company was fired.

Our retirement and work comp injuries are covered by the city/state. Obviously.