Police mistake unarmed 5'2" woman for 5'10" bald man with a machete, punch her and sic a dog on her

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
all you people look alike to me. I guess thats the excuse.
https://www.theroot.com/black-teenager-mistaken-for-larger-bald-black-man-says-1796840022?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark
A black 19-year-old woman says she was confronted by police at gunpoint, punched in the mouth and bitten by a police dog after Bakersfield, Calif., police apparently mistook her for a much larger, bald black man who was suspected of threatening people with a machete at a nearby grocery store.

According to the Bakersfield Californian, Tatyana Hargrove’s story is picking up more and more attention since the NAACP in Bakersfield posted a video to its Facebook page of her sharing her story. That video, in which Hargrove insists that race played a role in the brutal encounter, has gotten 3.8 million views so far.

In the video, the 19-year-old is holding crutches and close-ups are shown of the scratches, bites and other bruises on her body and face that she suffered during the June 18 encounter with Bakersfield police.

Hargrove explained in the video that she had ridden her bicycle to a local store to buy a Father’s Day gift before realizing the establishment was closed. On her way back home, she stopped to get a drink of water out of her backpack. That’s when she noticed three police cars behind her. The teen said that one of the officers already had his gun drawn by the time he got out of his patrol car.

The teen said that officers demanded to see her backpack, but she asked them for a warrant. When officers pointed out their K9 dog to her, Hargrove said she got scared and gave them her backpack, but that at that point the officer grabbed her by the wrist and neck and punched her and threw her on the ground. At that point, she said, the K9 dog bit her.

Hargrove says that one officer put his knee in her back and another knee on her head.

“I told him ‘I can’t breathe, I can’t breathe,’ and then I started yelling out, ‘Somebody help, somebody help me, they’re gonna kill me!’” she said.

Ultimately, the teen was arrested on suspicion of resisting or delaying an officer and aggravated assault on an officer.

Bakersfield police say they mistook the 5-foot-2, 115-pound Hargrove, age 19, for a suspect who was described as being a 25- to 30-year-old bald man with a goatee, who stands at around 5 foot 10 and weighs 170 pounds.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

TonyC28

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I didn't read the whole police report, just what I saw in articles. I find it telling that the officer's only "defense" that he laid out in his report was that she was mistaken for a male by others too. In other words, it seems like the only characteristics that matched the offender's description were male and black. I assume if she matched any others like clothing or the backpack she was carrying then he would have put that in his defense/report. The fact that he included that nurses mistook her for a male tells me that he knows he's in trouble and wanted to get that on paper to defend himself later.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I didn't read the whole police report, just what I saw in articles. I find it telling that the officer's only "defense" that he laid out in his report was that she was mistaken for a male by others too. In other words, it seems like the only characteristics that matched the offender's description were male and black. I assume if she matched any others like clothing or the backpack she was carrying then he would have put that in his defense/report. The fact that he included that nurses mistook her for a male tells me that he knows he's in trouble and wanted to get that on paper to defend himself later.

that could pass for a "male" here in CA :eek:
anyways isn't it bad for people to assume genders? :eek:

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
hope she sues & wins, problem with that is that it comes out of tax payers pockets instead of the cops pockets :(
It's telling that they found the need to arrest her for "spicion of resisting or delaying an officer and aggravated assault on an officer". Meaning they had nothing to charge her with, so they mad up a fairytale that a 5'2" 118 lbs. woman attacked a group of police with a K-9.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
It's telling that they found the need to arrest her for "spicion of resisting or delaying an officer and aggravated assault on an officer". Meaning they had nothing to charge her with, so they mad up a fairytale that a 5'2" 118 lbs. woman attacked a group of police with a K-9.
"what am I being arrested for??" well for "resisting" ......... makes no difference if you did anything wrong o_O

Reactions: BeeGood

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
"what am I being arrested for??" well for "resisting" ......... makes no difference if you did anything wrong o_O
She was arrested for resisting arrest and the arrest was necessary because she resisted the arrest that was necessitated because of her resisting arrest.

How does that not make sense? Good job cops.

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US
well thats what she said good enough for me. I am not sticking my hands down her pants so I am fine with it. wonder what the cop thought with a pat down?
There's a youtube video of just that scenario, but I don't think it would be appropriate to post here.
Cop frisking a guy rubs groin area "What this in your pants."
Guy getting frisked obviously embarrassed. "Umm sir, it's my (proper male anatomical part name) "
Cop frisking guy "Oh....:oops:"

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
your right my bad. but also two boobs and a vagina. so maybe it equals out?
Are you assuming gender there?
I contacted the mods about your dueling micro aggressions. This always leads to words that hurt. When I was a kid you dealt with your differences with a swift kick to the nuts, not like kids today armed with words that hurt always at the ready on the tip of their hair trigger tongue. I don't want to say anymore on this because I feel I am already stooping to your level by typing words.