Police officer charged for killing a man after man survives car accident

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iMikeT, Sep 16, 2013.

1. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Officer Randall Kerrick is charged for shooting and killing Jonathan Ferrell after Ferrell survives a car accident. Ferrell crashed his car in the woods and walked to the nearest house he found. The reports say the homeowners thought Ferrell was a burglar and called the police. The police who arrived at the house claim that Ferrell "charged" at them and then opened fire.

Via Yahoo - Police officer charged in fatal shooting of unarmed man who had just survived car accident

----

In the police state we live in where the people who swore to protect the public and uphold the law get away with injustice after injustice, I'm surprised Kerrick was even charged. He did have the perfect excuse of a "taser not being enough to subdue the suspect". Race was even on his side as Kerrick is white and Ferrell is black. Best of all, Ferrell supposedly "charged" at the officers.

What's going on here? Could this just be a PR move for the police to save face and appear to be holding one of their own accountable? (Kerrick is on paid administrative leave after all)

2. samiwas macrumors 65816

Something doesn't jive here.

So they tazered him, which didn't stop him, then had to end up shooting him? Something says to me that the guy was being irrational in some way. If I had just been in a car crash and was looking for help and police showed up, I'd be like "thank god!"

Something tells me that this guy was hopped up on something and was acting crazy.

I don't think it's a story of "Guy was innocently asking for help and police shot him instead."

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

So you crash your car in the woods in the middle of the night and then go pound on someone's door. When police arrive you charge them? Was this guy on meth?

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The cop said he charged them.

Considering that the cop is being charged with voluntary manslaughter and use of excessive force, it leads me to question the veracity of his account.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

As a neuroscientist I am becoming increasingly concerned that the police are interpreting a person's continued struggling after being Tasered as intent to harm. The Taser delivers an electric shock that causes pain and muscle contraction. It is not an anesthetic, although it seems plausible that the pain cause would release endogenous opiates, suppressing the person's experience of pain. In short, stunned people in a state of shock might very well continue with an ongoing sequence of behaviour even if they are Tasered.

6. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Since dead men tell no tales, are we supposed to take the word of the living in full faith, especially from the people who shot him?

Exactly citizenzen, the cop says Ferrell "charged" them. Perhaps he was approaching/running to them for help? Since when has walking in the direction of a cop a "charge" at them?

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I almost posted the same thing.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Now reporting the cop fired 12 times, hitting Jonathan Ferrell with 10 shots.

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

Of course not. I said "something doesn't jive here". I find it a little interesting that you ask if we're supposed to take the word of the living in full faith, yet have already labeled the officer's actions as an injustice, as if you do know the details.

I think there's more to the story than "innocent guy quietly walked to the door of a home and asked for help, then when turned down, happily greeted the responding officers who then killed him in cold blood", which your OP seems to imply.

If they had to tazer him and that didn't work, then had to shoot him after that, then he had to have been doing something out of line. I don't think this is a totally innocent victim.

11. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't have the details but I based my judgement off personal experience and the countless YouTube videos depicting police misconduct.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Can you assume that after surviving a car accident that Ferrell wouldn't be in a frantic state? You asserted that he was on drugs earlier yet you did not cite a toxicology report. If you survived a car accident like he did and walked a half mile to the closes house, do you think you'd be calm? You seem to be taking the cop's account in full faith here.

----------

Excessive indeed.

12. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Sure. It worked for George Zimmerman, after all.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Obviously nobody here knows all of the details.

But this was the statement released by his own department ...

According to the OP's article, there were two other officers present at the shooting. It would seem to me that their account of the incident, as well as physical evidence, led the department to come to that conclusion.

14. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

At least you admit to your prejudice.

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

Yet, you call them irrational. Nice job.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Can you assume that after surviving a car accident that Ferrell wouldn't be in a frantic state?[/quote]

Frantic enough to be confused with crazy guy who needs to be shot? Not, I can't assume that. That's a big stretch.

No, I didn't. I said "Something tells me"...that's not asserting a fact. That's called an opinion. You might want to learn something about it before you go inferring that the officer got away with an injustice, and your surprise that he would even get charged.

One thing I'm not doing is jumping to rash conclusions and already have a made up mind that the officer was guilty, which you seem to have done.

And if I was in a wreck and got out, I do not think I would be acting completely irrational. Calm? Probably not. Mistaken for a criminal and doing things that require tazering and shots fired? Can't see it.

Note that I have not taken a definite side due to lack of actual information. I suggest you try to do the same.

16. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah so you caught me red handed, now what?

Frantic enough to be confused with crazy guy who needs to be shot? Not, I can't assume that. That's a big stretch.

No, I didn't. I said "Something tells me"...that's not asserting a fact. That's called an opinion. You might want to learn something about it before you go inferring that the officer got away with an injustice, and your surprise that he would even get charged.

One thing I'm not doing is jumping to rash conclusions and already have a made up mind that the officer was guilty, which you seem to have done.

And if I was in a wreck and got out, I do not think I would be acting completely irrational. Calm? Probably not. Mistaken for a criminal and doing things that require tazering and shots fired? Can't see it.

Note that I have not taken a definite side due to lack of actual information. I suggest you try to do the same.[/QUOTE]

I don't hide my feelings towards police officers but firing at this guy and hitting 10 out of 12 shots isn't excessive and perhaps fit the charges?

17. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Now, there's hope for you to maybe, someday, eventually, be able to separate logic from emotion.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery.

18. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

The next time you think I'm not separating emotion from fact, what will you do, report me to the "bias police"?

Besides, who are you to talk about bias? Can you honestly say that you don't have a bias when discussing matters?