Police Officers: How to assist with an arrest?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Mar 7, 2012.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Police Officers, how to assist with an arrest? If there is a Sergent arresting someone how do other officers assist with the arrest?

2. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

If you are another police officer, than you assist as necessary (applying handcuffs, punching the guy who is burying his arms under his prone arms to prevent cuffing, or securing his legs to prevent kicking, or controlling the crowd/audience/unknown accomplices or supporters in the area.

If you are not a police officer, then stay the f out of the way, and be a good witness if called upon to be one.

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

I need to know as I have to portray a police Officer Friday. One of the scenes is assisting a sergent in an arrest.

4. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

5. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Arresting officer performs search of subject (very specific, too hard to explain here) and secondary officer stands by in case subject resists. If just cuffing, it's over in two seconds. Second officer is there to cover arresting officer, so keep eyes on him. If scene involves others interfering, and only two officers present, I'd say it's safe to control crowd.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. camardelle macrumors 6502

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Watch Southland, an excellent representation of the law enforcement environment.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

We really need to get you a reality show.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Omg, I'd start watching tv again.

11. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Agreed.

I totally did not see this thread topic coming. Ironically, unpredictability is what makes our boy so... predictable. :D

12. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Concur. However, the caveat being that the incidents and interactions that occur do not play out on nearly the frequent level the show indicates. It could take months or years (depending on the activity level of the station) to get all the things occurring that you see in a single "shift" episode of Southland.

13. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

It depends highly upon the situation at the time. Is the suspect acting aggressively, unpredictable, calm, placid, nervous? etc

The officers safety is absolutely paramount in all situations and the arresting technique will reflect this. If the suspect is aggressive or unpredictable bring out a Taser or firearm and hold him at gunpoint until sufficient back up arrives.

If the suspect is calm and relaxed, knows he's done wrong and accepting of the consequences, it's normally just a "turn around hands behind your back" situation.

If the suspect has been tackled and resisting, use your ASP (or baton/nightstick) as leverage to get his arms out. Taser is also generally an acceptable piece of equipment to use in this situation.

We need more information as to the scene to provide more accurate information.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ok Friday is over, I want to know if Wally got tazed.

15. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Nope did not get tazed. :D