Police oppose gun restrictions?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric/ Guest

eric/

I found this posted today and thought it was interesting. I'm approaching the survey with skepticism, because I'm not sure about the legitimacy of the surveyor, because I'm unfamiliar, but it appeared at first glance to be legitimate.

Link to article

Link to survey/site

Assuming everything is legit about the survey and everything, does this sway your opinion one way or another, or do you think there is a reason that surveyed police officers feel this way?

2. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Buying my first gun this week; and taking CCW classes next week.

Been thinking about it for years, and it's time. My friends who are police and basically mirror the opinions of this article.

thanks for posting OP.

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I would say that seems to be pretty accurate. I have numerous family members and a ton of friends in law enforcement and non of them I've talked to have any desire to support a ban on any guns or a reduction in magazine capacity.

4. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Your welcome.

Same in my experience too, which is why I was wondering why police don't support these restrictions or why they think that it won't make a difference.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

A legitimate question here.

How is it that you are believing this is legitimate, when based on your post here and throughout that thread, you had made it clear that you do not trust police, especially relative to guns and their training.

So why are you now wanting to believe this, when you didn't believe that they are fully trained in their own right? Or is it that you would believe it only when it supports your view?

An honest question here, that I would hope you could answer.

BL.

6. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

I'm confused. Why can I not acknowledge factual evidence that these surveyed police don't support more firearms restrictions while advocating anarchism?

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

As I happen to know many LEO's at several levels (local, state, federal), this is more a reflection of the opinion of the typical person drawn to law enforcement as a career than an objective assessment of the pros and cons of gun legislation.

Selection bias.

8. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Not that I am challenging the claim, but I'd be interested in reading support for it.

Assuming the United States here, does anyone besides me have trouble with this sentiment?

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Because at the heart of the entire matter, those two issues conflict with eachother.

You say you do not trust police. However, you appear to have found police who support your stance with guns.

If you do not trust police, how can you trust these LEOs' views on this issue to be legitimate?

That goes against your thinking, especially regarding the posts from the other thread. Having both views completely delegitimatizes your stance.

BL.

10. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

That isn't relevant to the thread. I asked why police feel this way, not about the conflict between an opinion expressed in other threads and here.

11. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Might I suggest taking your CCW class first before purchasing your first weapon? I have just finished my class and what I started out wanting to buy is not what I want now that I have taken the class. If you have a good instructor they will have options for you to shoot at the range. Most of the time you will "qualify" with a .22 and then shoot some different options with what the instructor has available, or if you are at a gun shop range then most likely you can rent some different guns for use at the range.

12. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

This.

Almost anyone and everyone I know who is a police officer, was first a gun nut. This career path was the most logical extension for them.

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Au contraire. It is very relevant to this thread. You made it relevant yourself. From your first post:

You are not only questioning the legitimacy of the survey, but hint at taking sides with it, because you want to believe it but are skeptical.

My point is that based on other threads here, you could not only be skeptical, but you could not trust this at all, because you do not trust police.

So either your logic fails here, based on your posts in this and other threads, or you will only trust the police, etc. only when it supports your view.

Either one delegitimatizes your stance.

BL.

14. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Au contraire

It isn't relevant. See below:

No. I said I'm not sure about the legitimacy because I'm unfamiliar with the site AND THEN said:

"assuming it's true"

Nope. The logic fail here is you taking what's been said in other threads and pretending that they are applicable here.

15. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

While some do the vast most of my coworkers did not match this description whatsoever

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So your words and what you believe as you post in other threads mean nothing in any other thread you post in? If so, then no-one can believe anything that you say, because it will then become 'irrelevant' in any other post you make, leaving you and your views without conviction.

Either way, your assumption of this incident is irrelevant, because you stated previously that you don't trust police. So the assumption (the probable) is disregarded, as your trust (an absolute) is paramount.

There is no way of telling what you believe now, relative to police with guns, because you've been inconsistent in what you say and what you believe. I understand someone believing in something, and standing firmly and consistently in their beliefs, with conviction. I also understand someone changing their beliefs when a mitigating circumstance causes them to have a revelation that results in that change. Your stance here fits neither, because it is inconsistent and goes against your previous belief, assumption on legitimacy or otherwise. They just can't be reconciled.

In short, your view on this can only be taken with a grain of salt.

BL.

17. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Debate the discussion, not stuff from other threads. Do you have anything to discuss related to the article? If not, I'm not going to continue with the off topic stuff here.

18. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

It's pretty simple to understand...

Most people debate issues because they believe in them. You (and I guess mcrain) debate issues for the sake of participating in debate.

At least mcrain is consistent in his views across different discussions. You seem to simply relish the debate itself, where today you say black is black and tomorrow you will argue that black is white.

What do you really personally believe in?

19. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Everyone here is debating for the sake of participating in a debate.

The Supreme Court isn't going to check MacRumors for interpretation advice. Governors aren't going to check MacRumors for policy advice. And Congress isn't going to check MacRumors for advice on drafting legislation.

20. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I can't even begin to express my opinion with regard to your posts.

So I won't even try.

21. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Inability to express opinion -- I understand that some concepts are just too hard to grasp.

22. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

Imagine a world without guns, wouldn't that be marvellous :) Sure there would still be wars but it would be good old hand to hand combat with fists, blades. Animals would stand a chance to defend themselves against trophy hunters that lay on the ground downwind 1mile away hunting an animal from an extremely safe distance to prove their strength. Rampages in schools would be limited to knives which can easily be taken out by one person, let along a bunch of people crowding the knife wielder. Knife wounds have a much greater chance at inflicting a non fatal wound vs firearm. ahh yeahh dreammyyy! Anyway I am sure everyone in the bible belt will curse me out and send me to hell for saying this. After all opinions against the bible belt are simply an abomination.

23. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Great job! Admitting the problem is the first step!

I'll look forward to your continuing progress! :)

24. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Ignorance at its finest, ladies and gentlemen.

No one is trying to ban all guns. We're only trying to impose restrictions and regulations to make the United States safer for everyone.

----------

I'm still looking forward to you clarifying which interpretation that you claim SCOTUS has made clear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.