Police punches teenager in face (Seattle)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niuniu, Jun 16, 2010.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry- but I don't blame him. Watch the video. I think it's pretty clear that he was justified.

3. 184550 Guest

His actions seem to be completely justified. It's quite obvious that she tried to interfere with the arrest or detainment of another person and proceeded to assault the officer and then resisted arrest. I'm surprised she wasn't tasered, maced or hit with a nightstick.

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

While I do agree with the above statements, I also feel that the officer should have backed off and called for backup. But, when in the heat of the moment it's hard to think clearly.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I disagree. The action taken was understandable. This officer is in no danger of losing his job or being reprimanded.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I agree. By the time back up arrives, its probably too late. Also, we have no details of the original arrest so it could have been a situation that called for some immediate action.

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Um, yeah, the girl who got punched attacked a police officer, who defended himself. I am in no way soft on police brutality, but if there is a lesser level of force that would have ended that situation as quickly and allowed the officer to continue performing his duty, I'd like to hear it. Otherwise we're down to a point where simply arresting somebody counts as police brutality and resisting arrest becomes a "get out of jail free" card.

You know what he didn't do? He didn't draw a weapon. He made his arrest, defended himself and did no one any permanent harm. Good for him.

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Watched this yesterday. I'm in the "He was justified camp." If the method of retaliation hadn't been one that is perceived as so drastic, we wouldn't even be talking about it. However, he didn't tase her, spray her, body slam her, etc. Pretty mild stuff.

100% justifiable. Do those dumb broads think that they're above the law or something?

Don't interfere with a cop when they're trying to arrest somebody. And the moron saying "are you serious?" over and over again was pretty annoying. All in all, this video was a waste of time, IMO.

10. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

The original arrest was for jay walking. If you look closely you can see the only thing the girl in pink tried to do was separate their arms, a punch in the face is supposedly proportionate to that?

He didn't even tell her to back off before laying into her face. He could have pushed her away first.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

That policeman better go through training again because he should be able to cuff someone quicker than that.

12. 184550 Guest

Since when is it ok to interfere with a police officer when he or she is trying enforce a law?

13. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

The actual issue is one of proportionality. Would you agree that it's good policy for the police to use any force necessary in any situation?

14. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

It's pretty easy to play arm chair police officer, but I'm pretty sure no one in this thread was there. Not against what the officer did but other options were available. Last time I checked the philosophy of punch first ask questions later is not a really good one.

Need to think to yourselves what would you do in that situation if you were the one punched. Do you really think you would sit there and say to yourself "well, I deserved that". Nope, you would probably be looking for a lawyers phone number.

15. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I bet he was upset about not getting to pre-order a white iPhone so he took it out on a black girl :(

16. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Why is this news? It's nothing more than police restraining criminals, which is incidentally their job. A person shouldn't even approach a cop in a situation like this, much less try to make physical contact. A punch to the face should be the least that happens to a person in this situation, she should have gotten tased. This type of person doesn't deserve any type of restraint from the police, it takes one look at her long list of prior offenses to realize this isn't a person who should be walking around free on the street.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2012122660_coppunch16m.html

17. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

I actually think that tasing a girl is more appropriate than punching her in the face. He could have broken her nose, or knocked her teeth out. What sort of official response is that towards a teenage girl?

I wouldn't be the one punched, because I'm not stupid enough to interfere with a cop, especially not physically. Common sense tells me that is not a smart move to make.

19. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

An appropriate one, if it subdues the person. It doesn't matter if it's a teenage girl or 250 lb biker, they're assaulting a cop (which she was charged with). Also I've been tased and I've been punched in the face, I'll take the punch to the face any old day. Being tased is a visceral experience, but will subdue the violator. It would be one thing if he'd continued to punch her after subduing her, but that wasn't the case.

20. 184550 Guest

Given the situation the police officer found himself in, I think that the response was proportional.

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

There was possibly not even going to be an arrest. The officer noticed a man, and subsequently a group of 4 girls, jaywalk across the street within 15 feet of a pedestrian overpass. He asked them to come speak with them and they refused to comply, escalating the situation. The girl in question can clearly be seen interfering with an arrest and then shoving the officer before he throws the punch. The girls acted stupidly, that's it.

22. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Yeah, seems pretty ridiculous that it took that long to cuff her.

23. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

White officer, black citizen. Had it been the other way around, it would not be news.

24. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I'd hit it....

But seriously, perfectly justified. She should know better than to do that. The situation didn't need to get as far as the arrest and that was the girls' fault.

Love it when people film something and it comes out to be the 'poor teenager' at fault. It reminds me of my sister. Gives police all this ****, but the minute she needs help, the police are who she'd call.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This has more to do with gender than anything else. I think the police officer was somewhat out of line with his handling of the situation (police officers giving a straight punch to a woman's face doesn't make it look like a controlled situation), he should have pulled his pepper spray or stun gun and subdued both of the women and cuffed one for resisting + other crimes and the other for interference.

On top of that it looks like this guy must be a rookie, ive seen far bigger guys get cuffed much faster than that.