Police shoot dog....owner confronts police

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jamezr, Jun 27, 2014.

1. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

You can hear the sadness in this guys voice......
    Warning about the f-bomb

2. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

While it sounds horrible, the police sound like they were good intentioned. If they were indeed looking for a missing child and wound up shooting the dog, while I feel sorry for the owner, these situations happen. A missing child is a horrible situation and time is important when searching.

3. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Yeah, those extra 30 seconds they gained by shooting that dog is the difference between finding the kid and not finding the kid. :rolleyes:

4. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

The dog was defending its property, the officer was in a situation where a dog was doing its job. We weren't there, we don't know what else the officer could have done. I have a 250 pound English Mastiff. It is a very intimidating dog especially if he feels that he is protecting. While I would be very upset, I do know what my dog could do to someone that it thought was going to hurt his family.

A dog is fast. If the officer entered the yard, not knowing the dog was there the wound up in a confrontation with it, the dog would be defending its property and the officer would be in fear for his life and limb.

Missing child is a bad situation. We just recently saw the results of a pitbull attack in another thread. Imagine your child is missing and there is a possibility that the child may have wandered into the yard with a canine. You'd be very concerned for the child's safety.

5. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Imagine if the people in the house had locked her in a basement! Quick, burst into the house and shoot the people in it!

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I feel bad for the guy. I cried when I had to put one of my dogs to sleep. This is why police need a cam on their body. Their excuses are lame.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

every cop should be recorded during work hours.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

If the police officer had a cam on his body and shot the dog in the backyard would it change anything? The police didn't hide this. They called the property owner, wrote a report and waited for him to get there. There are times that things happen that we wish we had a CTRL-Z button to fix but we don't.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

yes it would, it would at least justify his claims instead of having to settle for his word, plenty of cops make things up as it suits them.

10. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

But do you notice even the owner, didn't disagree that his dog would have been aggressive with someone in the yard. He said the officer should have backed away slowly. We don't know the lay of the backyard so we don't know if the dog was between the officer and the gate. We really can only go by the word of the officer, the dog isn't talking.

Of course, in my yard I'd just review the video from my security cameras. Then call my lawyers.

11. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

This is a pretty big local story.

My thoughts: A missing person doesn't mean all other people waive their rights to property, and civil rights.

If the police suspected the child was in the house, they should have presented the corresponding evidence and gotten a judge to sign off. Since the child wasn't there, I'd like to know what evidence was present that mandated deadly force on someone's house pet.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

the dog HAD reason to be aggressive towards someone in the yard, the cop did not have a warrant to enter the premises. the bold area is why a camera should ALWAYS be on the officer.

----------

[​IMG]

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

The problem is there are TOO MANY times things like this happen, and the majority are tired of the same lame excuses.

14. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Exactly. I hope this turns into a major lawsuit.

15. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

So the Police should be able to randomly bust onto private property and shoot whatever they want?

I agree with the above, all cops need to have cameras on them 24/7

16. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

This cop was looking for a missing child. A child that was believed to have wandered away. They were trying to find the child before harm befell this child. If they had not looked on this property and the child had died there, who would be at fault? They didn't go on his property to search for marijuana plants or stolen cars. They went looking for a missing young child.

What happened was a tragedy but it happened while they were doing their job. What if it was the gas man investigating a gas leak? The fire department investigating smoke? There are some times that police have to enter a property. They could be chasing a fleeing suspect, finding an escaped fugitive, anything. This time it was a missing child.

If my neighbor's child was missing, I have no problem with law enforcement going across my property to find the child. I would hope that my dog didn't get shot but if it someone was being attacked, I can understand it. I wouldn't be happy but I can understand it.

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I was a cable guy for about 3 years. I've been in hundreds of backyards unexpectedly. Damn near all the time, a dog will make it's presence known before you even enter it's territory. Then there are other signs like poop on the ground, dog bones or toys, and etc. And of course there is common sense of feeling out an area. Very rarely will a dog sneak up on you like a quiet stalking cat, and when that happens it's always the most friendliest dog ever. If cable, delivery, and other service people can deal with dogs all the time, then why can't police do the same without being so trigger happy. Some service guys carry mace or the ones made specifically for dogs. Don't understand why police couldn't just use their mace if they felt the dog was in a threatening manner.

18. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

People have this huge misguided notion that humans are the top of all food chain. And animals are beneath us, so apparently we can do just whatever the hell we want to animals and have the mentality of "eh, it's just a dog". Does that really make it less of a life than a human?

Personally I get along way better with animals than humans. And sometimes, if it's life and death between an animal or a human, I'll take the animal. Where the hell were the parents to even allow the child to go missing in the first place? I really do hate the human race sometimes...

Just so people know where I stand. When people get attacked by bears in the woods, I'm glad the bear got a good meal. Or shark attacks, rooting for the shark...

19. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

What @Technarchy said (My thoughts: A missing person doesn't mean all other people waive their rights to property, and civil rights.) is so true. My thought exactly. It seems like there have been many times where the police have shot and killed dogs, for no reason.
    There are many reasons in this thread why what the police officer did could've been prevented.

20. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Agreed, I wasn't there but using my best judgement I would bet the officer had no intentions of killing a dog that day. Im sure he could have handled the situation differently and probably would if given the chance again.
    As for entering property again I'm just using common sense he was doing his job to the best of his ability to find a missing child. I sometimes have to be on properties that have dogs and I always have my knife ready as you just never know what a dog is going to do. The officers in the video handled the situation very professionally. Where I grew up if you tossed a few F bombs at a cop you would be cuffed and stuffed in a heartbeat.

21. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I don't know the complete whole story but what I understand there was a missing child and some belief the child could be in the backyard of the property. There is no requirement for a warrant. And depending on more information an officer could even enter the house without a warrant too, but that's not relevant in this case.

It's an unfortunate situation but it's being Monday morning quarterbacked.

After providing the case number I would would have cleared the scene. There's nothing to gain as the dog owner gets more jacked up.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

23. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then please answer this question, if finding the lost kid was so important that police went on his back porch and shot his dog what happened in the missing kid that was found in the kid's own house? This IMHO sounds like the Keystone Cops situation. :eek:

24. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

We weren't in the backyard. The officer had entered the yard. Is it possible he entered the yard not knowing that the dog was there. The dog, doing his job started trying to protect his property. The officer could easily find himself in a no win situation. Even the owner says the officer should have backed up slowly toward the gate, which to me says that he was within the yard when he discovered the dog.

You are right the child was found at home. But that doesn't change how the officers in the field searching for that child were feeling. They are looking for a missing child. Just a couple weeks ago we had a missing child from a campsite. Small child, wandered off when his siblings were distracted for a second. A search was mobilized very quickly. The child's body was found the next day.

This isn't the first time a missing child has been found at home. When my daughter was little, I came home from work and couldn't find her. My wife said that she was playing in her room. She wasn't there. Running room to room in the house, I didn't find her. Backyard check, not in the pool, not on the deck or under it. I spent twenty minutes in a thorough panic. Garages, front yard, neighbor's yard... As time passed, I feared the worst.

There is a little area over top of the foyer, only a couple feet wide sort of like a fake balcony with railing. She was napping with the cat. I'd went down those steps at least a dozen times and hadn't seen her up there. It happens.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you didn't kill something during your search, you clearly weren't doing it right.