Police State for Profit : Welcome to America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AP_piano295, Mar 20, 2012.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

This is one of the bigger reason pot is still illegal. Also doesnt help that judges are on the payrolls of some of these prisons.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Private prisons won't be driving policy anytime soon. Nothing to see here. Maybe contacting your congressmen/woman or the POTUS to get some policies ran through to stop imprisoning people would do more good than harping on about whether the prison facilities are private or publicly owned after the people have already been convicted.

Or is there some union that is going to be broken up as a result of this? Probably what the real outcry is about.

4. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

So wait till they are bigger then they are now, so by then when they are a driving policy and it's to late then we deal with what ever issues. Nice backwards logic there.

When an industry becomes a multi billion dollar industry, it has become a driving force.

----------

more

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Bunch of sensationalism to excuse criminals. The 90% utilization is to keep the states from transferring prisoners out of private jails to publicly ran ones or under utilizing them under contract. From what you have shown the only evidence of wrongdoing cost a judge convicted what likely amounts to a life sentence and a couple other judges a few years. So it seems to me the problem is with government accepting bribes. Im sure our public prisons have a flawless record in regards to bribery.

6. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

No what Iv shown here is that private prisons are a driving force. Which counters your point that you didn't even bother to try to backup. One that might not be in the best interest for anyone but themselves given that they are a for profit system. Meaning if they don't have prisoners they don't make money. It's a fact that this country imprisons more per capita then any other country in the world. Our prison system is a business system and you would have to pretty blind and ignorant to not understand that.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The first private jail in the US was implemented in 1984 and privatization has ramped up since then. The UK also has private jail systems in place. Crime has been on a decline in the US for a decade so either the private jails aren't driving crime convictions or they just aren't as good at it as public jail systems were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

As for your call about "imprisoning more people than any other country on earth". Wasn't that also true under public jailing? I mean you have people already convicted, this is only a decision of where they are held, barring corruption.

Like I said in my first post, maybe we should be focusing more on what is putting people in jail (laws) more than which jails they are going to.

8. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

[​IMG]
    http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/glance/incrt.cfm

Incarceration rates have been steady to a slight decline over the last 5 yrs or so. We still have 1.5 million in the prison system still and that number still out weights the rest of the world on a per capita basis. Private jails might not be driving convictions but they are taking them in, all in the name of money. And from the sound of the articles talking about this out there, they are doing it with lesser regulations and quality comparison to state/fed systems. Again that's in the name of profit.

I agree we need to focus on the part of the system putting them in there but in no way does that mean only one part can be dealt with at one time. If the whole system is broke, you dont fix one part then move on to the next. You look to fix the whole thing or as much of the whole together.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

How about we stop the stupid drug war first? Honestly, I'm tired of buying hemp food (which is legal) from Canada. The US could be making a ton from industrial hemp, but because of our idiotic drug laws, we can't grow industrial hemp. That is completely silly.

I am far from the hippie guy, I just want to do what works. And hemp has so many good applications, from nutrition to bricks. It's time to stop this ban on a plant. It's just a damn plant. It grows. Let's use it.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The problem with looking at incarceration rates as a whole is there are violent offenders who committed crimes long before privitization that are still being held. That being said a failed war on drugs has also greatly increased US numbers and turned kids who like to smoke harmless weed into hardened criminals who will go on to repeat offend. The US also trends for longer and stiffer penalties.

Personally i think the emotional outrage for where we hold people already convicted is misplaced, but i have been downrated enough in this thread.

----------

I agree with this.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thank you. This crap has to stop. We are at the point where we need to look into things like hemp. So some people get high from variations of it- so what? Do you throw the whole plant out because of that? I hope not. I eat hemp seeds on a daily basis for the nutritional value. I recommend it to friends as well. It's made a difference for me.

12. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I had some bath water get kind of dirty, once. I arrested the baby, locked him up with murderers and rapists, and then blacklisted him from employment.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Dirty babies are bad. :)

14. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Seriously can we quit with the down-voting? If you don't agree with what someone has to say then fine, explain your feelings but don't just down vote and run.

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

How exactly do private prisons have revenue? Who is paying them?

16. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The obvious solution is to give me all the votes.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Typically, the state. It is just like having a state run prison, except the prison operating company extracts more profit from the money they receive by cutting costs.

my favorite private prison story

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The authors of Arizona's SB1070 would like a word with you:

NPR reports.

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Agreed. I hate the voting system.

HEY ADMINS: How about removing the voting buttons from PRSI?

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This is a little different than holding convicted people and has emerged because the US fails to deal with their illegal immigration problems time and time again. Even in Kansas which is well insulated from the border the amount of illegals is ridiculous. I can't imagine what its like in Arizona. I'd be white knuckled driving around most of the time because the guy who hits you is probably going to take off.