Political compass

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by robinp, Feb 15, 2015.

1. robinp macrumors 6502

I came across this the other day.

https://www.politicalcompass.org/analysis2

It's very interesting. A more in depth test that produces a graphical illustration of your political leaning. Lots of my friends have taken it and are in the green square - notable by the lack of representation other than the greens.

My position on the chart:

Attached Files:

2. kds1, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015

kds1 Suspended

kds1

I fell just one notch below the exact center of the green box.

3. sodapop1, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015

sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Somewhat the same for me. Just proves how inaccurate of a test it really is :D

Attached Files:

4. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Down 2 and right 1.25 from center for me.

Attached Files:

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

And here goes another round of the political compass.

[​IMG]

6. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Well the believing in Hocus Pocus scale is missing.

7. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Here's my screenshot

Attached Files:

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I came out closest to the Greens, but I loathe the party (the Greens in Scotland are smug, self-righteous antivivisectionists, and I am alive because of animal research).

Attached Files:

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Looks like I landed about the same place I did last time.

[​IMG]

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm too lazy to take the test again, I'm approximately in the same spot.

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I didn't think I'd be off the chart??

Attached Files:

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Communist. :p

13. BasicGreatGuy, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

In my opinion, political labels (for all intent and purposes) are meaningless. Such labeling is often used to either foment logical fallacy arguments, or to herd many who are politically lazy or naive into narrow, predefined boxes of convenience, which is often prompted for self-serving political gain.

In America, the preamble of our Constitution does not say We the Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, or Independents. It says "We The People in order to..."

A political party cannot represent me. It cannot vote for me. It cannot speak for me.

As far as I am concerned, the benchmark for our Republican form of government is the Constitution of the United States and peripherally, the state constitution for where I reside. If a candidate's or incumbent's views or actions are not congruent with what I believe the Constitution to mean, in regards to the proper separation of powers between the respective states and the federal government, I do not vote for said candidate or incumbent.

I don't care what political country club lapel pin a person may wear. I don't care if the media et al says this is the most important election of our time. If a person cannot earn my vote, they aren't deserving of my vote regardless of circumstance.

When I hire someone for office, I am hiring an individual not a political party.

If I am discussing politics on this forum or anywhere else, I don't care what country club you belong to. i am not communicating with a political party. I am communicating with individuals who, in my opinion, should be able to rightfully articulate why one believes yea or nay based on a foundation of something more than feelings and political boogeymen cliches.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

There, I fixed it for ya. ;)

15. kds1 Suspended

kds1

It's really arrogant of you to think human life is more valuable than an animal's.

Count me as one of those solidly against medical torture on animals. It's digusting and wrong.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

Do you eat meat?
    I love animals, but the horrific truth is that we wouldn't have organ transplants and other life saving procedures, if it weren't for horror-experiments on animals and humans.

When I realized this myself it was one of those moments that really convinced me that life's a bitch.

17. kds1 Suspended

kds1

I don't eat meat very often, and food is one thing, but I'm solidly against animal medical experimentation. We can't change the past, but we can change the present and the future. Back to your question about food. I was vegetarian, and then even vegan, for awhile, before resuming to eat only limited quatities of meat, far lower than I used to. When I do eat meat, it is 98% of the time Poultry, 1% Pork, and 1% Fish. Beef consumption is rare. The majority of my diet is plant based. I think meat consumption should be kept low. Humans eat way too much of it.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's a bit different from the last time, not much though.
    [​IMG]

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It is a political conversation starter, not a deep psychological analysis. One thing that I think such scales do reveal is that, generally speaking, most people are less authoritarian individually, than political leaders are.

Why is that? I suspect that it is because of the "do something" mentality. When something bad happens (anything from a bank robbery to a terrorist event), people, and the press, demand that politicians "do something", and, the one thing they can do is pass another law.

The sad fact is that there should be more choices in the lower half of the graph than there are. True in most countries.

Political parties are, or at least used to be, coalitions of representatives who tend to vote the same way. In recent years, a "party discipline" mentality has come to Washington, D.C., wherein representatives are expected to vote with the party leadership on every issue. It really wasn't that way 40 years ago, but then, maybe it didn't need to be, because the parties were much closer than they are now.

20. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

based on what?

21. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Sounds about right

[​IMG]

22. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

23. VulchR, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Please do not make assumptions about me. I value all life according to sentience. In general humans are more sentient than other creatures, because we can represent more information. The death of one of us (e.g., Gandhi, Martin Luther King, etc.) can have a species-wide impact in humans through culture. This is less so in nonhuman animals.

However, let us suppose I am wrong. Even if you equate the ethical position animals and people, medical experiments are performed on humans, and occasionally they go wrong and people die. I am one of more than 600,000 people in the UK alone who has volunteered for a medical trial (the medicine that keeps me alive has potential side effects that could be fatal, so alternatives are being sought). The people who undertake these trials should be protected by basic biological knowledge as well as much information as possible about the effects of the drugs/treatments that are being used. Much of this information must come from animals unless we are prepared to kill more people in clinical studies (like the Nazi's, who were antivivisectionists).

You used emotive words in your post like 'disgusting' and 'torture'. As somebody who was saved from an excruciating death by a drug that was discovered by animal research, I find the words you are using a little self-righteous. Perhaps I shouldn't make a prejudiced judgement, but I am guessing you are healthy. If you are, then please humour me and do the following experiment: (1) Hold your breath. Keep holding it until you can no longer bear it and reach the point when the air hunger makes you tense. (2) Now keep holding your breath for as long as you can. You can train yourself to do this until you literally begin to pass out. (3) Having done this, imagine being in the state of nearly passing out from air hunger, and suffering from crushing pain in the chest, and then drawing a desperate breath ... and not having any relief from air hunger, knowing that you are likely to die or suffer brain damage, imagining how your kids will be damaged by growing up without a parent, etc. Until you actually do this, please do not presume to pontificate about 'torture'.

Finally, like you I would like to see research on animals reduced and hopefully ended. As a scientist and as a patient all I can say is that we're just not there yet, but then again we're not at a point where we can stop risking people's lives in medical trials either.

24. kds1 Suspended

kds1

And having said all that, you haven't changed my opinion. You still think human lives are greater than animals. I don't.