Political Correctness gone crazy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samiwas, Feb 14, 2010.

1. samiwas macrumors 65816

In Atlanta, they are having to rename the "Yellow" train line to "Gold" because some people find the term "yellow" to be offensive. The line was renamed to "Yellow" from "Doraville" just a few months ago, since it's more internationally standard to use colors for train lines instead of end-stop names.

MARTA ‘yellow line' to Doraville angers some in Asian community

MARTA ‘yellow' line to be renamed ‘gold'

Surely I am not alone in thinking this is complete horsesh...crap. This is a case of wanting to be offended, almost TRYING to be offended. How can anyone really claim to be offended by a train line being named after a primary color?? Does anyone here support this decision, and if so, why?

I really freakin' hate people sometimes.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If the "Yellow Line" went to predominantly Asian neighbourhoods, I could see some valid objections...

3. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Funny, cos my girlfriend is Asian and she refers to herself as yellow. She doesn't find it a term of offense anymore than I refer to myself as being white.

Just asked her again and she said Chinese people call themselves huang zong ren (yellow type people).

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I suppose it depends on historical levels of integration.

5. samiwas thread starter macrumors 65816

The northern stops on the line are near some more heavily Asian-populated areas, indeed. However, the same line also runs all the way through the city, covering upper class, middle class, abandoned ghetto, and the airport.

Even if it does enter an Asian area, it really is silly to call this "offensive".

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I would have thought this is as things should be,bureaucrats named something without any sensitivity about what a large number of residents thought,residents complained bureaucrats changed the name, this is democracy,no?

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Maybe, then guess what generation (intergrationally) she is then?

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I have no idea.

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Well in what way do you think acceptance of being classed as yellow is affected by 'historical levels of integration' as you put it?

Not on your nuts by the way, I might even agree with you ;)

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's not being classed as yellow, it's more a question of the general level of awareness that different groups have been segregated or treated differently. It's more about the "tendency to group" than about any particular grouping.

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Ok. You want to talk around it. No probs, I can move the goalposts also. Your posts are ambiguous on this. You say 'tendency to group' - that could be either way, group as in to mix with other groups, or group as in stick to your own. Earlier, you said 'historical levels of integration', but that can be either way too, which is why I pressed you for a guess on my gf's quote to test which direction you meant it, but you said you didn't know :confused:

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If there is an "international standard" its to number the lines. Though some countries use district names and Boston, Washington DC and apparently San Francisco use colours.

Well exactly.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

One can only hope that no Native Americans live near the red line. :rolleyes:

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

FWIW, Chicago has a yellow line, as does Boston...

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As does NYC. Oddly, it runs through Chinatown.

[​IMG]

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If they came up with a new name for a metro line, and lots of people complained wouldn't it be reasonable to change it? Even if their reasoning was pretty weak?

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's probably easier, yeah. It seems odd to me, given how few lines MARTA has to begin with, that they wouldn't just start with a few primary colors (they hadn't gone to color names the last time I was there, though).

I can see it going both ways. If you want to call a line yellow, yeah, maybe it shouldn't be the one that goes to the Asian district....

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Taking a look at Wiki makes it look like they have some race problems.

EDIT: And also if you look at the map there are effectively two lines which some branches, so the yellow line only really has 3-4 unique stops. IMO on such a system naming after the destination was the best way of doing things.

19. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

When I saw the thread, I thought - not here! But actually, I see your point. Especially, if it is running through all sorts of parts and neighbourhoods of the town, complaining might be just being overly sensitive.

20. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

does the purple line run through the village?

21. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I'd take it a step further and call it absolutely ridiculous.

22. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

BART (regional) lines have colors on the standard map, but they are never referred to by color. Platform announcements use the terminus, so "Dublin/Pleasanton" or "Millbrae" or the like.

MUNI (intracity) lines are numbered for buses and lettered for light rail, both appending the name of one or more major streets or destinations along the line (e.g., "38 Geary" or "71 Haight-Noriega"). The light rail lines technically have unique colors assigned to them (fill color for the circle behind the letter identifier, line colors on some maps), but this is something that has kind of crept in over the past few years without any public awareness being drawn to it, or the lines being explicitly referred to that way.

The only places I can think of that transit is commonly referred to by color are the SFO airport terminal trains (red and blue line) and ferry fleets (Red & White, Blue & Gold being the two I can think of).

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

This seems like such a silly thing for you to get so worked up over. :confused:

24. samiwas thread starter macrumors 65816

I think getting even slightly worked up over a train line being named after a primary color is silly. Actually, beyond silly. It's absurd. And to demand that it be changed? Wow.

I don't even understand why this is an issue. You're right. I do get a little worked up over things like this. Political correctness in this country is getting out of hand, and I just can't stand crap like this. What's going to happen if the system expands (if they would EVER do it!) and they have a black line? Would African Americans get upset? Does the red line upset Native Americans? Could an orange line upset guidos? It just doesn't make sense. I honestly do believe that things like this are people who need to be offended by something and be heard by raising objections.

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

but you're getting all offended over a trival thing just as much as anybody who's being offended by calling it the yellow line. Frankly it seems to me there are far more important things to worry about.....if you think this is silly, roll your eyes, mutter "whatever" and get on to more important things