Political dynasties, more of them?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Feb 28, 2016.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

We had Roosevelt and Kennedy, now we have Clinton and Bush.

What about another Bush, as in Prescott Bush who are the very least will become a Congressman? And then there's the three Democrats with the last name Trump who can expand their family's political horizons?

Would you vote for an Ivanka Trump or Donald Trump Jr.? (even if they remain liberal and are far more likable than their dad?) And what about the "real" young Hispanic hope for politics, Prescott Bush?

I have a feeling these names will not go away anytime soon.

Thoughts?

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Theodore and Franklin were fifth cousins. Not the same generation, by marriage, or direct parentage by any means. Granted, having read up on both, I like them both in what they achieved.

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

And totally different directions and success in both!

I forgot to mention Kennedy clan had by marriage a republican governor and he gave us Cali citizens a real headache. Girly men! LOL.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm not going to vote for someone based on their name, at the same time I also won't exclude voting for someone based on their name.

If Clinton loses the general election, which is quite likely, then I doubt they will turn into any sort of a political dynasty. I guess Chelsea could try to run for something, but I think she would try to start too high and would fail due to no experience.

5. Robisan macrumors 6502

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

There are familial dynasties in all sorts of American endeavors. The Manning brothers are the sons of the great Archie. I forget how many generation of Pettys have driven in NASCAR. Generations of du Ponts and Rockefellers and Fords have led great industrial businesses. Jakob Dylan; Ziggy Marley; and Miley Cyrus are the children of well known (!) musicians. We've had acting dynasties (the Baldwins and the Barrymores) and artistic ones: the Peales and Wyeths. We've had a host of military family dynasties: the MacArthurs; the Eisenhowers; the Pullers. We've even had daredevil dynasties: The Knievels: Evel and Robbie. And political ones too, including a lot that weren't named Kennedy, Bush, or Clinton: The Cabots, the Lodges, the Daleys.

The New York Times did an article on nepotism in American life a while back. It compared the odds of a "boomer" son matching his father's position - with that of a typical Baby-boom age American man. Interesting reading:

7. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I was voting on Friday and definitely switched up my voting preference based (partially) on the candidate being in a dynasty

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

**** that. Not just no but hell no. No political dynasties. I don't vote incumbent most of the time.