Political Polarization and Media Habits

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Oct 21, 2014.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Really interesting article it you have a chance to read it:

journalism.org

I've unfollowed a couple news feeds for sure. Anyone else?

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm not on any social networks. Have I unfriended someone in real life because of their politics? No, but if a person's views on something are so extreme I won't engage them on that subject anymore.

I do think it's sort of scary that NPR is viewed with such suspicion. And it scares the crap out of me that so many people get their news from a single source.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Some of my friends hold political views that are mostly opposite of mine. We get along just fine.

----------

Why? There is nothing sacrosanct about PBS/NPR. They have their biases just like anywhere else.

4. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I've unfriended people for expressing crazy (liberal AND conservative) political opinions and bombarding my newsfeed with their garbage

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

NPR/PBS is some of the most neutral and thorough reporting out there. I often wonder if the right wing hatred of them isn't due to the lack of angry, insane people shouting at each other all the time.nthat certainly seems to be a hallmark of the media the right seems so find of. In other words it's the spectacle that matters, not the content.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

As liberal as I am, I have friends who are the complete political opposite of me, and we get along fine as well. However, it is the phlegmatic in me that wants to keep the peace; so I just don't bring up the topic of politics. Friendships mean more to me than political ideologies, and because of such ideologies, friendships are that much more rare.

I wouldn't say that NPR is biased; they actually are more balanced than any other outlet in the MSM. The BBC doesn't even have a dog in this show to care, so it helps to get news about what's going on here from outside of the country.

And as far as not getting everything from a single source, there was a quote made by a certain POTUS that is pretty much close to deity status among conservatives:

I find it rather funny and ironic that conservatives praise him so, but don't put his words to use.

BL.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

He was way too far to the left for modern RWs. Hell, he was even leader of a union.

8. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Nothing really surprised me in the article. Really just made me giggle a bit and remember why I tend to be annoyed with almost every super political person, even if i agree with them on a lot of things.

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

I've had quite a few friends and acquaintances in my 40 years. And I wasn't even interested in politics or the discussion of them until I found PRSI a few years ago. So much of my opinion on people I met was based on other qualities than their political leanings.

But, I've found something over the years. All of the people that I was friends with, but never really liked all that much (or turned out to dislike) for reasons ranging from conceitedness to just general annoyance, have turned out to be the harder-core conservatives. It wasn't based on their political beliefs, just their personality.

It should also be noted that as a pretty liberal person, probably 90% of my 307 Facebook friends are more liberal as well. You would think that there would be a large number of liberal political postings that come across my newsfeed. However, the vast majority of political postings, mostly angry and often unfounded, come from the same bunch of conservatives. I see very few liberal news items posted. It's weird.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Political ideology is one thing, but if someone expresses hateful and crazy views, they get hit with the ban-hammer.

This is unsurprising. Liberals tend to have healthier news diets, while conservatives tend toward eating the journalistic equivalent of Cheetos. And, this seems to have increased in the past decade.

The other thing that worries me is how people can operate in such a echo chamber in conservative circles—Washington Times to Breitbart to National Review Online to Judicial Watch—readers may feel that they're getting news from different sources when each is just regurgitating stories from the others.

Yeah, I've been de-friended for calling people out on posting nutty articles and I'm willing to do the same. I am friends with a number of conservatives online, but I don't want my Facebook newsfeed filled up with nonsense.

On the other hand, I love the emails from the National Review Online, SOS, the Media Research Center (hah!), and the Washington Times.

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

I haven't de-friended anyone over political stuff yet (yet!), but I have experienced the same backlash when I point out that an article someone posts is blatantly misleading or outright lying. It seems the more they "want" to believe it, the more they will defend it, even if it's proven to be incorrect. It's like, "Never admit you are wrong...always double down."

12. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I rarely defriend people and prefer to troll their ignorant political notions and see how ******** they get.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, if you would just stop spraying everyone you meet, maybe you might have friends.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

16. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Don't let Mrs Skunk hear you say that, 'cause she may tell your mother in law.

KGB

17. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

This doesn't surprise me either. I know this is a blanket statement and it's not correct of me to do so, but conservatives just tend to be bitter people from what I've seen. They're always on edge ready to rant about something.

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

I will not associate anyone who expresses a sexist or racist view of any description..... which basically means hard righters in real life or on the internet.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you refuse to associate with them, how will you persuade them of the error of their ways?

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

Not associating with someone doesn't mean I can't challenge them. It means I don't want to be in the same circles as them.

21. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I can count the number of friends that I've "unfriended" on one hand. My unfriending tends to come as a result of things they post that appear on my wall that I wouldn't want my mother or my daughter to see. It's a pretty easy test because both are on my friends list.

One is a friend from back in my college days. A great person but she's very pro-life. Unfortunately, she posted very graphic pictures that I really didn't want to have appear on my wall. Another used to post all those "If you are really my friend you will repost this..." crap. And the only other one that I can think of uses language in just about every post that would make a sailor blush... He is a marine, so I guess that explains it.

The people on my friends list are a diverse group. Some left, some right and some that I have no clue what their political leaning is. Some are religious, some are not. There are some times that it is appropriate to repost all that stuff and other times it isn't.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Last night I listened to Dana Loesch, a conservative talk show host (The Blaze) on The Ed Schultz show refuse to answer a single question, instead she either answered with a question, talked about something else or asked herself her own questions. Then later that evening I listened to a Republican Congressman do basically the same thing in an interview. I also remember Grimes running for US Senator against McConnel in Kentucky refusing to say who she supported in the last Presidential election and it seems this is today's political modus operandi.

It strikes me as deceitful and an obstacle to democracy when people in positions of authority or candidates for such authority are allowed to use misdirection in an attempt to obscure their views or avoid discussing topics that place their views/positions in an unfavorable light. If we ever have a hope of recovering as a country we must insist on honesty in politics.

23. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I am not a big facebook or twitter user, my account is mostly use to keep in touch with my granddaughters.

I have never had to destroy a friendship over politics either online or in real life. I did four years as a city councilman in the late 80’s early 90’s, my best friend for more than 50 years was in the opposition. We would argue our points of view sometimes quite strongly, but each knew were to draw the line. Afterwards we would have a meal or a drink, without any rancour.

I have only once ever dropped an old acquaintance, that was for remarks that he and his wife made about my third wife. I actually lost all control and hit him, more than once, it was not my finest hour.