Political/Social Ramifications of the Virginia Tech Shootings (Thread Split)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Note from the moderators: This thread is a split of the Killing spree at VA Tech... thread.

This sounds very, very bad...no word yet on the ID of the shooter?

:confused: :confused:

What?

2. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yep, bet they are happy that one of their madmen is on the loose again.

3. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That's just...inflammatory.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Just a tad..

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Give it a rest. :rolleyes:

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

great...

yet, another reason for the rest of the world to hate US....

7. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

the saddest thing is that this tragedy was preventable. :(

8. Xyl macrumors regular

CNN is reporting 31 now too, including gunman.

I don't hate the US, but I'd never live there even if it means a better pay, less taxes, etc. Just too many people with too many guns.

9. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah, there's not much use for money if you're already dead.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmmm.. I'm sorry, but this statement is preposterous. It's not like the wild west.

Everyone I know has managed to make it through life without getting shot. Even the ROTC guys I went to college with who went to Iraq. You're still more likely to die in a car crash than a shooting.

Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Yeah.. the video is less than useful. It's pure sensationalism by CNN in posting it.

11. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah, of course the media probably relishes such events to boost their website hits and sales. Very sad advantage-taking by far :(

Wild west? Yeah, interesting that I haven't seen this happen in Japan...

12. Xyl macrumors regular

Compared to other developed countries I could live in, shootings in U.S are definitely worse. And obviously I don't dislike the U.S for the sole reason that "I'm worried I'll get shot there" :rolleyes: It's more like the crime rate and the crap laws that allow people to carry guns with them. The fact that this is allowed says something about the effectiveness of the laws that are supposed to protect us.

13. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Not surprised there... as I recall Cheney (nearly shot a Texan lawyer at a ranch down there) wasn't too good during hunting season.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

think before posting. this is not a political issue... yet

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Its happened in Germany. Be advised, "bad" things happen is Japan as well, it just doesn't always make international news.

16. Queso macrumors G4

Dunblane, Scotland

17. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Nope, last time I checked Japan only permits the police and "army" to own guns. They have problems with violence but nothing on the scale of what happened here.

And yes, I read news from the newspaper in the UK, Russia, and Japan. So there.

18. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, I was in Scotland at the time of this. The interesting thing is, how long did it take the British people and government to ban handguns after Dunblane, pretty darn quickly if I recall.

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

But if the US can't make an amendment out of defining marriage, how can you expect them to remove the 2nd amendment? It's not just some crazy right-wing conspiracy.

20. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I wonder if the Founding Fathers ever envisioned stuff like this happening here in the modern-day States.

21. Queso macrumors G4

It was already on the cards thanks to what had happened at Hungerford a few years earlier. The fact that small children were killed just revolted everybody. Guns had to go.

Not that it's perfect here now. Those too young to remember seem to think a gun is a status symbol in case they get "disrespected" :rolleyes:

22. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I wasn't claiming it was a conspiracy of any kind, and I'm not blaming purely the right-wingers or purely the left-wingers.

Simply saying that the old adage that "those who fail to learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them" How many of this incidence have to happen before the people and/or the government of the US decide to do something about it.

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

They envisioned as much as they could. I'm sure a lot more has changed than just gun-related mayhem.

Oh, that wasn't aimed at you.. more at the NRA crack earlier.

Well you never know when we might be illegally invaded by a forgein people! Oh wait...

24. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah, I think that another type of "gun" is better at procreating life than taking it away. :p

25. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I think it's fair enough to say that the US isn't the only place where horrible shootings like this happen.

We had a shooting like this in Canada last year, and we can't carry guns on our person either. And after columbine we even had a "copy cat" shooting which I believe took 1 or 2 lives in a rural school.

I think the real issue comes down to how these events are reported in the US media. When it happens in the US you've got the 24 hour news machine spitting out "reports" as fast as you can hit reload. They provide days/weeks of coverage on an event like this and so EVERYONE hears about it.

Yet a suicide bomber in Iraq killing 30 people is simply a 30 snippet during the regular 1 hour newcast.

This reporting style creates the image that everyone is a gun toting cowboy and everyone's gonna shoot you if you look at em the wrong way.

So I don't think the finger of blame lays in the gun laws, because I can only assume strapping explosives to yourself is illegal in Iraq as well.