Politicians and twitter/facebook.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I was speaking with one of my local representatives who had just gotten back from DC, apparently twitter and facebook are suddenly a must have item (welcome to 3 years ago) among aging politicians and the sign of what is apparently being coined a "hip" politician.

The way it was explained made it sound more like a ploy politicians are trying to get in on rather than a genuine attempt to reach out to the public.

Do you follow any politicians on social networks and does it effect how you would vote? To me it seems about on par with your grandma adding you to facebook. :eek: I could see benefits if they actually used it to hear from the people they represent, but anymore I am skeptical of politicians motivations, do I really want to know that Sarah Palin is on a road trip with her kids? :(

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Im following Obama, and to be honest, I skip right over his tweets. I thought I might learn things, but I really havent learned anything.

3. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Bias alert: I have little use or interest in Twitter. It seems superfluous to me--all productive functionality already exists in Facebook IMO.

With that said, I don't really care if a politician wants to Twitter, be on Facebook, etc...I read several news sources every day anyways (WSJ, NYT, Seattle Times), and if it didn't make one of those three, it's probably not a high enough priority for me to care. I'm aware that I'm missing out on some potentially useful/interesting info, but I don't mind not being -totally- connected to politics. I find that I'm much happier when I'm not constantly enveloped in it, anyways :p

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You really think that the puppet actually writes anything himself?

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ugh, I have absolutely no desire to follow politicians on facebook or twitter.

6. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Im aware he doesnt but I figured I'd learn something from his twitter account, whoever is updating it.

7. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Thats another issue that bugs me, much like the veil of websites/form emails what good does it do if its not a direct link to the politician him/herself? This is kind of the feeling I got when talking about it. It was more of a "hey me too" instead of a genuine attempt at reaching out.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's like driving a Prius to an airstrip so you can board your learjet while smoking cigarettes the entire way. You may look all eco-friendly but your tobacco smoking jet flying footprint says otherwise.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If it was Obama himself tweeting, you would probably be complaining that he's spending too much time on Twitter. But he has aides do it, and you're complaining that it's not him doing it. :rolleyes:

10. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Be nice to Gore. He really is trying to make you sacrifice to improve the environment and his wallet and that takes a lot of work.

11. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its disingenuous no matter which politician does it, either don't do it at all or do it yourself.

12. djellison macrumors 68020

I've had a few exchanges with Lord Drayson, a BIS minister - and it's been very good. He asked for more info about what I was asking, interacts with people, I ended up getting an email from a governmental dept. that was involved in the issue I was discussing. It's interesting to hear what he gets up to. I'd like to see my MP do it as well.

I even said at one point something like "@lorddrayon comes across as a nice guy, I keep forgetting he's a politician. Is that wrong?"

However, both my MP, and Lord Drayson, are from the Labour Party - and they're not getting my vote.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

what? you have something against hearing all about Sarah???

seriously though, if "she" tweets anything interesting, you're going to hear about it on Glenn Beck :D

or CNN, or somewhere

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think its dangerous.

Remember the congressman who got in a crapload of trouble for tweeting about a top secret operation location in one of the wars?