Politico: ABC News/Washington Post Poll: Clinton just as unpopular as Trump with voters

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Jess13, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

I find this interesting.

Poll: Clinton just as unpopular as Trump with voters

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/poll-clinton-popularity-227578

Approximately 46 percent of registered voters said they had a favorable opinion of Clinton in early August, dropping eight points to 38 percent in the latest survey, with nearly six in 10 (59 percent) holding an unfavorable opinion of the former secretary of state, an increase of seven points from earlier in the month. Clinton's favorability among all women surveyed swung dramatically negative over the last month, going from a net positive 11 points (54 percent to 43 percent) to a net negative seven points (45 percent to 52 percent), while her standing among men also decreased to a lesser degree.​

2. 1458279 Suspended

She's weak. The thing about this is that it's easier for Trump to go up and expand support than it is for Hillary. Hillary's lies are solid, proven lies. Trump's issues are about being open to different groups. Trump's right on
    how different groups aren't doing well under Obama. Trump's right on the economy. Trump's the one for change.
    He's expanding his lead by maybe the greatest margin in a good while:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/

3. zin macrumors 6502

That's truly a tremendous feat. She hides from the public and her approval ratings continue to sink. Just wait until people actually see her in the debates.

Hillary is, without a doubt, the most unqualified, weakest, and incompetent candidate to ever run for office on the Democratic ticket. She is a huge liability and I am shocked that the sleaze bags at the DNC wanted to ensure Queen Hillary got her coronation.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Could say the same thing for Trump and the GOP.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I'll take (unpopular+sane) over (unpopular+whacko) any day of the week. Particularly when it comes to the football.

6. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I really have never understood why she seems so popular in certain circles of democrats. Even many people on this board who are going to vote for her don't really like her or think she is a flawed candidate. But there is a core group that made it clear she was the presumptive nominee 2 years before the first vote and no one of any stature bothered to challenge her. The are some dems that would have made good Presidents but chose not to run because they knew the DNC was in for Hillary.

Even as scandal after scandal hit they just doubled down on her. Some day I hope someone explains it to me.

7. Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

Psychopathy ≠ Sanity.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Name recognition scores votes. Hate the candidate, yeah... but who's that other guy? So the devil you heard of gets the nod. Fund raising prowess. Vote getting track record. Ability to attract endorsements (and money) from industry and finance.

We the voters are capable of being distracted by celebrity ever since a few years after the advent of television.

By now in politics if we've never heard of someone then they're of no account. We do not know who is Trudeau, much less Erdogan, unless we're immigrants from their respective turf. We haven't a clue who's our own state assemblyman (even though he's the sod who sold our wallet down river for a tax abatement to a factory that will put 400 workers out of a job in six years, not ten, and leave the tax base depleted as they struggle to meet their mortgages, never mind their own share of the property tax).

So back to what's with the Dems picking Clinton so early? Clinton fit that whole bill of celebrity and ability to raise money to get elected. Plus she was the bridesmaid in 2008 and "paid her dues" by being a good sport and taking SoS job (and all the non thanks that have come with that when you think about it). A SoS tries to implement the president's policy, does not create it...

The DNC is known for having big elbows when it comes to picking a favorite and putting the machine behind it. Although I cheered DWS's early resignation from DNC, I don't know that it was all that fair to lambaste her for boosting Clinton since the preponderance of the machine was in fact behind Clinton as nominee from the start. Consider the superdelegates in even the earliest polling. Clinton knowing that was what permitted the terrible optics of an entirely pragmatic decision to give DWS a consolation prize for stepping down early from the DNC chair.

Scandal... we are so jaded now that it's hard to get wound up over a scandal. When you think about it, the Obama adminstration has been amazingly free of scandal. I can only hope the same will be true for Clinton.

9. edk99 macrumors 6502a

No you can't!! The GOP did not want Trump. The DNC was in the bag for Hillary.

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It is interesting in a way as I am not sure what accounts for it. Are people really that fickle? There really isn't any new news that wasn't being talked about before. So was the convention just a glowing bump? Are people's memories really that short?

I also find it interesting that voters keep saying they find these two candidates unfavorable, and yet have put them in the position of being the respective party nominees and have for the most part ignored other alternatives out there like Stein or Johnson.

Voters definitely send mixed signals.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well he's the nominee so someone in the party wanted him.

12. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

If Trump is serious about winning the election, then he will discuss certain topics - which he's already brought up.

Just as it would be easy for her to use topics against him, which she has brought up.

Also, recalling various posts online from other news outlets I've read today, it's not a matter of likeability as some claim but how scripted they won't sound when trying to win people over (e.g. "likeability"). Did that make sense? Of course not. But what others said about likeability involved feeling as if they could be having a beer in a pub with said candidate were not only far more nonsensical, but they were also (unintentionally, hopefully) insulting of American voters as they were not capable of understanding any of the issues that affects their lives.

13. Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

And Trump received more primary votes than any other Republican in U.S. history.

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

But also more votes against him too, right? He brought out a lot of people out both for and against him. He's a polarizing figure. Which is why he'll never unite the country. Were he to win, he would only make the division worse.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

touché

16. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

This is a useless stat. He had the most against him taking the other 15(?) candidates into account. Combined those completely out weigh him and its most likely because the pool of voters absolute value was that high.