Politico: Weak early voter turnout among African-Americans hurts Clinton in Florida

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Jess13, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

I would like to think this may have to do with the fact that Hillary’s the only 2016 candidate who already has killed black men and women, but it probably only has to do with Hillary being such a fake human being.

Weak early voter turnout among African-Americans hurts Clinton in Florida

http://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2016/10/clinton-campaign-struggles-in-getting-african-americans-to-early-voting-polls-106931

African-Americans traditionally dominate early in-person voting. But they didn’t show in force this weekend. And Hastings said he wasn’t surprised. After Sunday night’s polls closed, black voters accounted for 16 percent of the in-person early vote ballots cast. And that included five previous days of in-person early voting.

But in 2012, in just two days of in-person early voting, blacks cast 25 percent of those early ballots, according to Dan Smith, a University of Florida political science professor who published some of the early voting data on his must-read Election Smith blog.

As of Monday morning about 3.7 million absentee and in-person early ballots had been cast, 40.5 percent of them by Republicans and 40.2 percent by Democrats.

More Republicans voting than Democrats, like the Florida primary.

2. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

Yeah she will usually make it up with the Latino Vote This Year. Lets up the latinos show up on Tuesday

3. Jess13, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016

Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

True, Hillary has strong latino support. That story includes detail about Hillary with 60% of latinos. But as of right now: More Repubs voting than Dems, and Hillary has far less [necessary] black support than Obama had in 2012.

4. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

And that group has nearly doubled their numbers among early voters compared to 2012. And Clinton will have higher percentages among women, college-educated and Asian voters compared to the race four years ago.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Kind of strange that blacks would vote for Obama and then allow his legacy and policies to slip away through a Trump presidency. Trump discriminated against them in housing. Not someone they should allow to take office based on that alone, yet all the other baggage he carries.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

and females.

7. Zenithal macrumors 68040

8. Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

9. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Archive.org takes a snapshot of pages when they're published. Usually on popular ones. The snap I linked you to displays the same data which your link shows. The link you posted was likely last updated in September as per its article date, and references data collected on March 15. The link I posted is a snapshot of March 17-19, showing the same data.

10. Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

Yes, if the data is the same what is your issue?

11. zin macrumors 6502

What legacy? Obamacare is going broke and people are facing premium increases of over 100%. More stupid wars. Wages are stagnant. Most jobs are poorly paid part-time. Median income for blacks is still lower than it was in 2009. More blacks in poverty than 2009. And not to mention his shameful endorsement of a flat-out crook.

12. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

I'm not sure of Florida, but in many places early voting isn't as flexible as it was in the past. So that may explain part of the lower numbers so far. I think part of it was a fear of voter suppression of Black voters with the race being tighter, even showing Romney leading for periods. I know many (not just Black voters) that still don't take the GOP candidate seriously.

13. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

if they don't stay home.

14. Zenithal macrumors 68040

How is nearly 8 month old data relevant today? It is not an "issue," it is a "point." Do learn the difference. Despite English being your first, native language and it being my fourth one, you manage to bastardize it left and right.

15. Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

If English were your first language, perhaps the point wouldn’t have flown right over your head. The point is: More Repubs voting than Dems, in both the primary and thus far in the presidential. As of right now, Trump is winning and Hillary is losing.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Wonder if she wishes she could back track this statement now.

[​IMG]

17. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Nothing flew. You're referencing 8 month old data. 8 months is a very, very long time in the political spectrum. 8 months ago, we didn't know a lot about what Clinton and Trump did. 8 months ago the opinion of Candidates was different. 8 months ago Bernie was still in the race. 8 months ago the DNC hadn't yet picked their candidate. 8 months ago Kaine wasn't even in the picture. 8 months ago no one knew of Trumps perversions. The average voter has trouble recalling political events from 4 weeks ago let alone 8 months ago.

The main focal point of the Republican party has been emails. Not discovered 8 months ago, but discovered over a year ago. Day in and day out, that's what's been referenced. And how dare I forget crooked Hillary's antics such as Benghazi. And how she loves the terrorists, as they say. And by they I mean radical right wingers such as yourself who took over my damn party. The Republican Party and made it the right old mess it is today.

It's rather funny. Because when I joined the Republican party, there was bipartisan work being done. We didn't give a flying crap about abortions or limiting the rights of women. We wanted actual small business. We didn't like intruding on others' rights. And we certainly didn't have fools like you pretending to be Republicans but aren't remotely close to what being a real Republican is.

And in case you still don't get the point, the snapshots show the same point leads and percentages at that time in March as they do now. The data on the NYT page references data collected in March, not September, not today.

18. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The article that you posted kind of says something different:

The moral of the story is that polls suck. We'll see what happens next Tuesday.

19. Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

It is completely relevant. In the Florida primary: Trump won more districts than Hillary did; Repubs had hundreds of thousands more in votes than the Dems. As of right now: More Repubs voting than Dems; Trump is winning and Hillary is losing. So yeah, the primary/presidential trend I obviously was pointing out went right over your head.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2016 ---
    40.5 Repubs; 40.2 Dems.

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

That's assuming they're voting down party lines 100%. I know plenty of Republicans (I live in Texas) that aren't voting for Trump (which doesn't necessarily mean they're voting for Hillary either). Including my own mother, who chose not to place a vote for President. :rolleyes:

1 week out and both sides are looking for positives. I get it. But why post something trying to prove a point if you're going to come to a different conclusion than the one it states?

Let's see what happens next Tuesday.

21. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Yes, and in the Primaries the Republican party held out long-held Republican portions of other states including mine, California. These have changed in the last eight months. We now have Republicans fighting their own people to remain in office in California and other such states.

While states have early voting, they don't count the votes until election day. The data that's coming out is based on PRIOR party affiliation. That means Dems could be going Indie, and Rep. could be going Dem. if they dislike Donald so much. They may also go green party for some oddball, borderline deranged reason. Or the independent vote which is laughable. For all we know, a historically blue nearing on battleground state could go majority red and red states may go blue or red during a close tossup.

Fact is, wait until election night before spreading this type of info. Which is what I keep repeating 8 months like a broken radio.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2016 ---
    Correct. Though I really can't imagine anyone in Texas who's even disgusted by Trump wanting to vote for Hillary. Deranged women included. The Clintons snubbed Texans during their eight years and people from Texas are quite proud of their state. People make fun of Texas, but it's a very interesting state.

22. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Absolutely interesting. And it's a place that can be won by the democrats with full voter participation IMHO (Texas is always at the bottom in terms of voter participation). The Hispanic vote will be huge, especially those that don't live in the big 4 counties (which lean Democratic anyway).

Texas continues to "import" a lot jobs from other states, including a lot of tech, which should also help even things out a little (maybe not this year, but moving towards 2020). The urban areas continue to expand further and further as these transplants continue to come in. I'm a New Yorker, and I can't believe the changes even in the ~12 years I've been here.

But, the major thing is that people actually have to show up and vote, which they seem to be doing in record numbers for early voting.

23. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Oh, yes. I've been to Austin several times on business and it's a joy. It's not a good representation of Texas, but it's a fascinating place to be. And, oh my God, as you know the food is incredible. I must have gained 10 lb during my last trip there.

24. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Brutal

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You don't see things objectively. For all your claims of being a left winger, you sound very much like a right winger all the time. As always, I will agree with you that he and Dems haven't done as much as they could for blacks, but what have Republicans ever done? Nothing. What will Trump do? Well let's see...the effort he has made to their community so far has included discrimination against them in housing and visiting a couple of black churches in September (after over a year of campaigning) after which for some reason came to a screeching halt. So based on that weak effort, I'm going to say he would do nothing for blacks as president either.

How are those Republicans voting though? If what I am hearing tonight is true, Trump is losing a significant amount of Republicans to Hillary in Florida. Lose Florida, he loses the election.