Politics and the media

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JG271, Sep 10, 2008.

1. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

In light of the ever increasing role that the media plays in politics - and indeed how it shapes our politics to some degree - i was interested to see what peoples opinions here are on media control, specifically political media control.

Here in the UK political advertising is illegal, and instead a 5 minute election campaign is broadcast on the public service channels for the major political parties (I think that is all the BBC channels and channel 4?)
    Political reports and news have to be non partisan and there is a regulatory board that people can complain to, about a wide variety of issues.

Your thoughts?

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

To anyone that is interested in this subject, I recommend Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media by Chomsky and Ed Herman.

It's a must read.

3. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

Our system of free speech works just fine....:D

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Free speech has not been "free" in some time.

What the OP doesn't grasp is the Americans love for political theatre, no matter at what cost, monetarily or in time wasted watching same.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I like the idea, JG271, but I would want to know more before saying I'd actually favor it. It also may not survive a constitutional challenge here.

6. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

Maybe where you come from, but it is very much alive and well within these United States....:)

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I'd tell you just how wrong you are, but my job working for a subsidiary of a media conglomerate has me under an NDA.

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Tell that to all of the innocent people arrested in Minnesota because they were suspected as potential protestors. Conspiracy to engage in free speech, alive and well? I do not think so. I suggest, free speech has become conditional.

9. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

The Constitution has been rendered moot by today's US politicians, from going to war without approval of Congress to the Patriot Act, and much more. Civil liberties are lost.

It would be great if there was a ban on political advertisements, but it is up to the voter's responsibility to know the reasons why he or she pulled that particular lever.

10. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

I suggest you are wrong...Nothing is absolute, you cant yell fire in a crowded movie theater and you cant walk hand in hand with those that commit crime(s) against property and persons and not expect to be held accountable....

11. JG271 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JG271

Yeah, it would have to create a fine balance between good reporting and being impartial.

I think at least it would be a good thing to some sort of time dedicated to an election broadcast in the US, a good 5 minute sum up of policy for each political party, to really give the voters a chance to know exactly what they would be voting for.

I suppose it depends to what extent it would be fair to control the media, in my opinion not too much in order to preserve free speech, but enough to provide voters with a slightly more smear-free and informed political choice, if that is possible!

12. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

What? Your point makes zero sense.

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2008/sep2008/minn-s11.shtml

bit of an alarmist article, but I put some snippets below: