PolitiFact: Hillary most truthful of remaining candidates

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Robisan, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Robisan macrumors 6502

Read it an weep. Here's the PolitiFact scorecard for the five remaining candidates through March 18th.

[​IMG]

You have admire Trump's chutzpah - less than 10% of what he says is true. Of course, for the GOP base lying is a feature, not a bug and opinion (ahem) trumps truth. Poor TrusTed is being out-lied by the master.

(via)

Learn about the methodology here, and access dynamic scorecards here, which update automatically with new fact-checks.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually, Clinton and Sanders are pretty darn close. Add up "true", "mostly true" and "half truth", and she's only two points ahead of him, 72% to 70%.

What is surprising is that Kasich is so close behind them. I expected more less from a Republican.

Now Cruz and Trump...there's a couple of guys who know how to lie.

Somebody needs to learn to add, though. Trump's and Bernie's total numbers each add up to 101%. (Or is that some kind of odd rounding error?)

Trump: 3% true, 42% false, 19% pants on fire. LOL!

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

But she has a pant on fire so Bernie it is

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Only ONE pants on fire?:confused: Which one is it: the landing under sniper fire in Bosnia?:rolleyes: Benghazi?:mad: Something else?o_O

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I think they've collected all of them and put them in one..kind of like grading on curve ;)

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm weeping for sure.

8. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

"Hillary most truthful of remaining candidates"

Sad state of affairs you guys are enjoying down there.

9. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Gotta love Politifact for the contortions they go through to make their bias seem evenhanded:

Cruz said that Obama has "been presiding over our jobs going overseas for seven years." While the pattern has been occurring under Obama, it is hardly new or unique to Obama. We rate the statement. Mostly False.
    The truth? Obama has been presiding over our jobs going overseas for seven years! Whether it was going on before that is not the point. Obama didn't fix the problem.

Cruz's statement is Completely TRUE.

Most of the stuff Politfact calls false when it comes to Republicans is equally biased and wrong.

10. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

...adding, only a want-to-be dictator like Trump thinks the President can or should unilaterally preside over private sector decisions, because Freedom!

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Also true, Obama has been presiding over our sun falling down from the sky every evening for seven years.

Perhaps it's mostly false because the implication is that his policies have moved jobs overseas, while unemployment rates are approximately at a 10 year low level... that's pre 2008 ABCP crash.

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

So you are saying that no president has ever presided over the exodus of jobs from the US?

I'm pretty sure that the use of preside in that case was in reference to the verb form of President. Even the PolitiFact comment indicated that the statement was false because jobs have been leaving longer and didn't quibble with the word preside. I don't know if they are generally biased or cherry-picking, but they were pretty egregious in the cited example. Your issue with the statement was completely egregious.

Of course, you might be suggesting that Obama has failed to execute the office of the President for the last 7 years. That I would be tempted to agree with, but I can't. Like every president before him, I see someone who has tried to do the best for the country, as best as his vision will let him. I disagree with the vision, but I won't deny the effort.

13. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Really?:

pre·side
    (prĭ-zīd′)
    intr.v. pre·sid·ed, pre·sid·ing, pre·sides
    To hold the position of authority; act as chairperson or president
    I agree that Obama hasn't been much of a president, but even so, he fits the definition.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Obama has been presidenting really hard the last 7 years.

15. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Obama is President of the USA, not the solar system. Granted, the USA is the most important part of the solar system, but we don't have control of the sun, yet.

Truth is truth. What you infer from statements you think are implying something doesn't make said statements less than true.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2016 ---
    It's Politifact making the claim, so don't take what they say seriously.

16. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

And just how in Hades did Politifact get vetted as an unbiased arbiter of what is and isn't truth??

17. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

pre·side (prĭ-zīd′)
    intr.v. pre·sid·ed, pre·sid·ing, pre·sides
    1. To hold the position of authority; act as chairperson or president: presided over the department for a year.
    2. To possess or exercise authority or control: preside at a meeting.

Yes, a verb. An action word. Obama cannot (2) "exercise authority or control" over private sector job decisions. Nor does he (1) "hold the position of authority" to "act" on private sector job decisions.

18. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

He's been an awesome president. I would vote for him for another four years if I could. That doesn't mean he is perfect. No president is. But by and large I have been quite happy with him. Not only have I agreed with most of his policies, but he is quite personable as well. Great family man. Sings Good. Is funny. Everything that Trump (and Hillary) are not. Speaking of Hillary, even I think she is more untruthful than politifact does. But if you listen to her speech from yesterday, you will hear someone way more competent and professional that Donald Trump. Listening to him speak is painful. He is all over the map, very unfocused and scatterbrained. Absolutely the last thing you would want in a President. We are voting for commander in chief. Not a figurehead that constantly has to be steered and corrected by others because he doesn't know anything.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

YEAH, two more wars & signing indefinite detention w/o trial was awesome, Obama should be in jail but hey, he can sing and he's funny :rolleyes:

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Just like Snopes.com. If it supports your point-of-view, cite it. If it doesn't, find another site that does!

21. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

He does preside over the country and signs into law or approves policies that will impact the decision to move jobs or not. How may not be alone, and the legislature just as culpable, but the buck has to stop somewhere.

But Snopes has funny zingers at the end of each article.

22. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

snopes is leftist in its politics... and PolitiFact... the Tampa Bay Times... not known for being overtly centrist at all... Study Finds Fact Checkers Biased Against Republicans - …

23. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

The way Cruz meant it to be heard is that Obama had direct control over this, which makes what he meant by his words "mostly false."

...adding, it makes me laugh watching the apologists essentially arguing that it depends on 'what the meaning of "is" is.'

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Snopes might be leftist in its own personal politics, but they've never let that get in the way of reporting something as true or false, even when it gets in the way of their political leanings.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Although spin and lying seem to be relative terms, you definitely don't want blatant liars in charge of your country.