Poll: 69% of Americans want to outlaw super PACs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So do 69% of the people, then, want to stifle free speech? ;)

Or are they just smarter than most of the Supreme Court? :D

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If you weight the poll results by total personal wealth, I bet "most people" would be in favor of them.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

"Some of my best friends have Super PACs."

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Precisely.:cool:

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Probably even more than that. Free speech is rarely popular with the public. Think flag burning, marching Nazis, etc. The public tends to like the concept, but hate the specific applications.

I don't think anyone, including the majority in Citizens United didn't see this happening. Money and politics have always gone hand-in-hand. I doubt anyone likes $1 billion elections and carpet bombs of negative advertising, but that doesn't necessarily mean we can stop it legally. I mean, I personally loathe neo-Nazis, and I bet 99% of the public agrees, but it wouldn't make me any smarter than the court that intervenes and protects the rights of neo-Nazis.

6. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

ftfw

7. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Hysterical.

Haven't had a chance to read the article, but I find it suspect that a random sampling of Americans could find that 69% even know what a Super PAC is.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

but what can be done at the very least is tighten the restriction on coronation. Lets face it who really believe their is none. When you have former ads and campaign leaders leading the respective pro PACs you know there is something fishy going on.

I would say there needs to be a very very clear seperation. That means ZERO comunication of any kind between each other and no former employees of a campaign.
    We can kill them off legally with out the courts being able to stop it.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Eh, I'm not very bothered by "coordination" between SuperPACs and their candidates. Quite frankly, I expect it to happen and I think everyone else does too. No matter how many rules you make up, money is always going to find a way to get what it wants.

I'd much rather know who was providing the money and how much. I don't think there should be any secrecy as the tax code currently permits.

Eventually, even unlimited SuperPACs will hit their saturation point of effectiveness. We'll settle into a new equilibrium of campaign finance.

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

"We need to have more elections to stimulate the economy!"

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think if we have any more elections, the economy might very well hyperventilate.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The real irony in today's Super PACs is that without them, Romney would have locked up the nomination weeks ago.

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Glad you liked it.
    I'd agree with that.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

true but I fear the super PAC give the GOP an insane amount of power because they tend to represent the mega rich who have the money to blow on crap like this. This just gives them much much deeper pockets.

It will make Obama's spending last year look like chump change. We need massive reform.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just wait until the general election, you with have all sides spending billions.

16. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...while complaining about how large the debt is.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yes and all of Obama's funding is coming from starving families giving away their last 5 dollars.

18. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Or their last $35000. At least they got a meal out of it.

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

While both sides may use them, they won't use tools that are no longer there. Taking away super PACs wouldn't fix campaign financing though. Campaign financing law is an issue where I wish I had better overall comprehension.

I liked the ad that called Mitt Romney a serial killer :D. That at least made me laugh.

20. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

Thanks to Wikipedia I guess I sort of know what a PAC is but it doesn't really seem like a bad thing. It doesn't even seem like a really important thing other than it's an organization that does a lot of advertising.

21. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

A Super PAC is a baby-eating monster built by the GOP and brought to life by the neo-con-tea-party-anti-Woodstock Supreme Court.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You forgot the nuclear fire-breathing.

23. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Fixed that for you:

[​IMG]

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Good or bad as the results may be, I don't think you can fault the intellectual consistency of the Supreme Court in the "Citizens United" case, which has led to the SuperPacs.

I think that, if you are going to allow them on "free speech", First Amendment grounds, you ought really to have some requirement that the people funding them publicly identify themselves. That rather than hearing "Americans for Prosperity" or "Winning our Future", people should know that the message is being paid for the Koch brothers or Sheldon Adelson. And quite frankly, if anybody - rich or poor - wants to stand up and exercise his or her "free speech" rights, then they ought also to have the courage to take responsibility for what they say. Rather than hiding behind an innocuous-sounding "organization."

Surely it would be possible to pass a law, requiring that political ads from SuperPacs, ALSO include a link to a website with a list of named contributors, as well as how much they paid.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

On behalf of our esteemed Supreme Court, super PACs are subverting the democratic process. Money wielded by billionaires subverts the process. If not for the concept, Gingrich would be long gone... I hope this gives Republicans a moment to pause.