Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Macbook Pros should be even thinner.

• Total voters

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Apple Macbook Pros should be even thinner?
  • Keyboard travel smaller?
  • Tensile and torsion strength on the body higher?
  • Keys touching the screen leaving finger grease?
  • Heat from CPU/GPU melting the display in clamshell mode?

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
Stop this nonsense. Apple has a thin and light ultrabook, it is the MacBook. No need for another line of thin and underpowered laptops.

Make it thicker to accomodate:

- a bigger battery;
- more ram;
- better cooling therefore more powerful CPU and GPU;
- usable ports.

and bring back magsafe so no more 100W power limit.

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The laptop should be as thin and light as possible as long as it doesn't compromise its performance or structural integrity. The 2016/2017 MBP strikes a perfect balance here. Its thin and light, but it still fits same class hardware as any previous laptop Apple has ever made (so no compromise in performance here), it offers same battery life as any previous generation, its sturdy, its connectivity is among the best on the market.

I doubt that Apple can further reduce the volume of this machine without dropping down specs. Its already very impressive that they achieved this much without dropping the specs a bit, while every other manufacturer switches to 15W CPUs, even in premium computers...

P.S. This is why I think that the question is quite nonsensical. If we have new components and materials that enable great performance with smaller volumes, then sure, it should be thinner.

Last edited:
Reactions: rbrian and warden

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
No it should go as thin and light as it can when it can while keeping it's current perfect balance of performance and portability. Apple make exactly the laptops I want and need keep it up apple.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I do want them to get thinner, but at the same time, I want them to get thinner without the compromise. I hope by at least 2020, the MacBook Pro will be as thin as the 12 inch MacBook. But, can it be achieved with a better feeling keyboard thats not as delicate or prone to failure?

The following article details the woes users have been expressed by other users here on the forums:
https://theoutline.com/post/2402/the-new-macbook-keyboard-is-ruining-my-life

Apple really does want a wireless future and maybe Intel and AMD won't be able to deliver the powerful chips they want in a specific profile they desire.

What I suspect Apple might do for a variant of the MacBook Pro with a profile as thin as the 12 inch MacBook is switch to a A series SOC. With A11 Bionic rivaling the 13 inch MacBook Pro in some tests and Apples R&D at least 3 generations ahead; its not impossible to see a mighty powerful Hecta-Core A series device by 2020.

With Apples clout and power, they could do one of a few things:

- Have macOS recompiled - probably already have
- Pay Adobe, Microsoft, AutoDesk, Intuit to bring their desktop apps to macOS on ARM and optimize them
- Optimize 12 inch iPad versions of these apps - which are actually powerful enough for many users for mouse input
- Add an x86 SOC from Intel for x86 apps to help ease the transition.

With Apples GPU and SOC expertise, we could see such a device by 2020.

Its certainly doable. Apple could further push the envelope and switch to wireless charging and smart connector for charging; restoring something similar to magsafe.

Reactions: rbrian

vxh.viet

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Why anyone called them self pro want a thin laptop is beyond me. Lighter I can understand but thinner???
Heck it's a productivity device that meant to be stationary during work. It's not a fashion statement that you use to brag with your peers about.

I'm all fine with the 2015's thickness and I don't see the point to slim it down, certainly not at the cost of a sub-par keyboard.

With the vision of going port-less on laptop, soon we will have the next trendy trend of water proof laptop. Until then, have fun dissing out an absurd amount of cash if you accidentally spilled water on one because well, we need to "optimize" to achieve that brag-worthy slimness right?

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
No, thin at the cost of usability & reliability is pointless. The MBP is simply becoming an exercise in diminishing returns resulting in a compromised product for many, while only pandering to the crowd for the WOW factor. Only 15% of Mac users are now categorised as professional users of the platform, with Apple seemingly intent on driving that number ever lower. MBP is fast becoming a lifestyle product, produced by a phone company...

Professional users want stability, reliability, relevant ports, battery capacity, sensible keyboards performance in both CPU & dGPU, and dare I say expansion. What we don't need is gimmicky toys. No longer a professional user of the Mac as a direct result...

Q-6
[doublepost=1508483035][/doublepost]
hope this thread adds to the data "apple is collecting" on these issues

Apple wont care a jot, until they see a drop in revenue or feel the negativity is hurting their image. Until then Apple will keep churning out more of the same. IMHO Apple is now only reacting due to the much deserved hostility from it's professional users and the associated negative tech press, not any genuine concern...

Q-6

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Apple wont care a jot, until they see a drop in revenue or feel the negativity is hurting their image.

Which is true for every business, not just Apple. Unless users start voting with their wallets, why would Apple change what they do?

Reactions: Queen6

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I do want them to get thinner, but at the same time, I want them to get thinner without the compromise.

This sums it up. It's not that they shouldn't get thinner - thinner laptops mean more mobility, lower weight. It's that they shouldn't compromise on performance and reliability. Of course, what is and what isn't a compromise comes down to personal needs and tastes.

Reactions: kazmac and ixxx69

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I want the MacBooks Pros to get a tapered design....it's so much easier to type on..this is the only thing I really miss about the MacBook Air....also....if it is as thin as the current model at the bottom and little thicker at the top it can accommodate a return to the SD card slot and Magsafe...but I don't expect this to occur.

The current size and weight is more than fine...similar to how the iPhones have finally stagnated in thinness.

I want thinner and lighter, but the choices of function for the Pro line also need to be considered...I don't remember to many issues with the size and weight of the 13 rMBP.

But again, the best way to achieve both is a wedge shape.

The recent models really took a hit to battery when pushed with harder tasks since the size was so reduced....not a great compromise there. This presumably will get better over time again (especially if some of the notebooks go with the A-Series chips), but I really want iPad like battery life in a MacBook Pro (only notebook to ever really achieve this was the MacBook Air, but thats getting very outdated).

Reactions: groove-agent

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
hope this thread adds to the data "apple is collecting" on these issues
It doesn't. Apple doesn't read these forums. As far as they're concerned, just a bunch of random internet dudes who display a general lack of understanding about technology, business, and people.

Could be an interesting discussion, but it will be mostly the same rhetoric from the same people who hate on Apple in every thread (see a couple of the replies above).

Seems like Apple tries to find a balance between portability and power that will appeal to the largest user base. There's no question Apple does not serve every niche of user. It's just so weird that the current MBP's have never been more powerful (that is objectively a fact, not an opinion), but some people (and it's almost always the same people) seem to seem to spin it that now MBP's performance is garbage.

There is literally only one "feature" change made to allow for a thinner design (compared to previous MBP models), and that was the keyboard. The vast, vast majority of users will like it, are indifferent, or will get used to it. And it sucks if you don't like it and plan to never like it, but there's lot of technology like that that just becomes ubiquitous (glossy screens anyone?), and you may have lots of other choices right now, but within a few years, 95% of laptops will have similar keyboard to MBP.

I saw it all before with the transition to chiclet keyboards. Anyone can learn to type just as fast on the butterfly keyboards... but you might have to adjust your learned typing style. The sound of the keys is more abrasive... it would be nice if they could get a gentler sound out of them. Durability - no one knows yet whether they'll have significantly more long-term issues than previous gen MBP's.

Reactions: leman

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Smaller volume + weight is always welcome, but big enough not to have thermal issues or poor battery life. Considering Microsoft have made a completely fanless 15w U series work in the surface pro and new surface book who knows how svelte the form factor could become while still packing good power in coming years.

Suspended
May 11, 2013
Apple are building two of the best laptops money can buy. Literally, the only other company who can even compare is Microsoft's own machines which in my eyes are just about equal. Nobody else comes close.

The MacBook Pro is thin, and light yes. Only you guys could find a reason to complain about that.

The quad-core in a 13" is more down to Intel. The port thing? Get over it (it's here to stay). Battery life gets me through more than a work day on the 13" model.. certainly don't get the complaints there. And anyone I know after the learning curve now prefers the new keyboard.

I also have to laugh at you guys blaming Tim Cook for the latest models... You do realise it's Jony Ive who heads the design team.. the same man who has since the late 90s. He knows what he's doing.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Apple are building two of the best laptops money can buy. Literally, the only other company who can even compare is Microsoft's own machines which in my eyes are just about equal. Nobody else comes close.

The MacBook Pro is thin, and light yes. Only you guys could find a reason to complain about that.

The quad-core in a 13" is more down to Intel. The port thing? Get over it (it's here to stay). Battery life gets me through more than a work day on the 13" model.. certainly don't get the complaints there. And anyone I know after the learning curve now prefers the new keyboard.

I also have to laugh at you guys blaming Tim Cook for the latest models... You do realise it's Jony Ive who heads the design team.. the same man who has since the late 90s. He knows what he's doing.
Jony Ive just makes the things look pretty, he’s not an engineer, he’s an industrial designer.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

Suspended
May 11, 2013
Jony Ive just makes the things look pretty, he’s not an engineer, he’s an industrial designer.

That's really not how Apple do things. Don't forget, anyone who knows design will tell you that it's not just how something looks, but how it works.. I'm sure Jony Ive was quoted as saying that himself too. If you think the Unibody was crafted just for looks, then you should watch the promo videos for the 2008 MacBook Redesign.. Jony seems to be talking a lot about the actual function of the design there..

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
That's really not how Apple do things. Don't forget, anyone who knows design will tell you that it's not just how something looks, but how it works.. I'm sure Jony Ive was quoted as saying that himself too. If you think the Unibody was crafted just for looks, then you should watch the promo videos for the 2008 MacBook Redesign.. Jony seems to be talking a lot about the actual function of the design there..
Well of course he works closely with the engineering team by necessity, and through that probably has an understanding of what and how and why, but ultimately he works with the parameters the engineers set for him. If they say we can only make something 15mm thin because of thermal and battery requirements, and it needs X internal volume, then he will create his design to that.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
There is literally only one "feature" change made to allow for a thinner design (compared to previous MBP models), and that was the keyboard. The vast, vast majority of users will like it, are indifferent, or will get used to it. And it sucks if you don't like it and plan to never like it, but there's lot of technology like that that just becomes ubiquitous (glossy screens anyone?), and you may have lots of other choices right now, but within a few years, 95% of laptops will have similar keyboard to MBP.
I'm still holding out hope for Apple fixing the current design at some point (or jump the shark by getting rid of mechanical buttons for the keys). The keyboard used to be something you simply didn't have to worry about. Now it makes me not want to touch the current MacBook Pro's with a ten-foot pole.

Suspended
May 11, 2013
Well of course he works closely with the engineering team by necessity, and through that probably has an understanding of what and how and why, but ultimately he works with the parameters the engineers set for him. If they say we can only make something 15mm thin because of thermal and battery requirements, and it needs X internal volume, then he will create his design to that.

Well, if it keeps you happy, Dan Riccio - also been there since the late 90s - was right next to Ive and the team when they designed the latest MBP...

https://www.apple.com/uk/leadership/dan-riccio/

So again, I can say with confidence the same team knows what it's doing.
[doublepost=1508628659][/doublepost]
I'm still holding out hope for Apple fixing the current design at some point (or jump the shark by getting rid of mechanical buttons for the keys). The keyboard used to be something you simply didn't have to worry about. Now it makes me not want to touch the current MacBook Pro's with a ten-foot pole.

If you use it for a few days you'll find that it's actually faster, more precise and easier to type on. Any experience far from that, and you're almost certainly an exceptional case. Changes to the keyboard aren't made lightly, and when a company like Apple goes with a new design like this you can bet it's been well tested and received by groups of people who came to the conclusion that yes, it was better more times than it was voted 'not'.

Personally though, why don't you buy a Lenovo? Their keyboards still use older, more familiar technology and I'm sure there's lots of other forums that agree with you though?

Reactions: ixxx69

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Well, if it keeps you happy, Dan Riccio - also been there since the late 90s - was right next to Ive and the team when they designed the latest MBP...

https://www.apple.com/uk/leadership/dan-riccio/

So again, I can say with confidence the same team knows what it's doing.
[doublepost=1508628659][/doublepost]

If you use it for a few days you'll find that it's actually faster, more precise and easier to type on. Any experience far from that, and you're almost certainly an exceptional case. Changes to the keyboard aren't made lightly, and when a company like Apple goes with a new design like this you can bet it's been well tested and received by groups of people who came to the conclusion that yes, it was better more times than it was voted 'not'.

Personally though, why don't you buy a Lenovo? Their keyboards still use older, more familiar technology and I'm sure there's lots of other forums that agree with you though?
I don't want to use Windows (or Linux, really), I love MacOS. Used to love and still love many aspects of the MacBook Pro as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.