Poll: Are you a fan of iOS 11's Design?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by SumYoungGai, Jun 5, 2017.

?

Are you a fan of iOS 11's Geriartric Design? (Bolder fonts, more white space, de-densification)

Poll closed Jul 1, 2017.
  1. Yes

48.3%
  2. No

39.8%
  3. No preference

11.9%
  1. SumYoungGai, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017

SumYoungGai macrumors 6502a

I'm not a huge fan of what Apple is doing with the de-densification of the App Store and the large bold titles in apps such as messages. A sizeable portion of the Messages app is now dedicated to telling me that I just opened the messages app. This is seemingly a continuation of what Apple has done to Apple Music in iOS 10+, and it's clear that this is the general direction that Apple will be taking with iOS 11 even if it's a beta 1. So what are your guys' opinion?

iOS 11: https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/img_0899-png.702398/

iOS 10: http://cdn.iphonehacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ios-10-handwritten-messages-5.jpeg

A user from reddit sums it up very nicely: "I opened Messages. I know I'm in Messages. Why are you gonna waste space on my screen to tell me inside of the Messages app that I'm in Messages?"

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like the images are the same.

3. SumYoungGai thread starter macrumors 6502a

oops, updated

4. KALLT macrumors 601

I think it is awful. As stated, it serves no practical purposes and is at it worst a distraction and waste of space.

Note also these passages from Apple's interface guidelines:
    To me that's what this is: intrusive branding.

5. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

They’re trying to freshen up the design without redesigning it. iOS 7: Minimalistic and thin. iOS 11: big and bold.

Looking forward to any future design improvements. It feels like they’re wasting screen space. It’s weird that iOS 10 redesigned the NC and CC and they’ve already trashed both. Hope they find a clear direction soon and refine it.

6. SumYoungGai thread starter macrumors 6502a

I feel like the NC and CC are just more confusing and non-intuitive in iOS 11 beta 1. iOS 10 removed group-by-app for notifications and split the CC into two screens, but I've grown to personally get used to it and I think it works fine. It looks orderly and it's very easy to use.

Now they've combined the lockscreen and the NC so it takes two swipes to get to notifications (why???) and they've fragmented control center so there's no sense of order.

7. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I like it but it needs to be more consistent. So for example why does iTunes Store still not adhere to the new design?

8. KALLT macrumors 601

This crossed my mind too. They tweaked the animations multiple times throughout the lifecycle of iOS 10 and now they do it once more.

Not to mention that this must now be the 5th or 6th redesign of the calculator icon.

9. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

I agree, but CC at least has new toggles and is more convenient on one page, plus it’s customizable. At least there are improvements. iOS 10 basically just made both of them them less convenient, I can understand why they made another attempt but there’s definitely still plenty of room for improvement.

I don’t even understand what they’re trying to do with the NC, it’s just harder to open and close. What is the purpose... iPhone 8 I guess?

10. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Settled. Let's go back to iOS 6-style design so I can hop on the 'current software' bandwagon.

11. campyguy macrumors 68040

IMHO I really don't care. It's a beta, version 1, TBT - "To Be Tweaked" by Apple. Either create your new OS or get a life and move on. :rolleyes:

12. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Pretty sure it's the 7th (8th depending on how you look at it) time they've changed the Calculator icon.

13. SumYoungGai thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm fairly certain that I addressed this in the original post.

14. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

I, too, get the feeling that Apple software designers seem to be having mixed feelings about iOS's interface design these past few years. Control Center, after being introduced in iOS 7, was changed in iOS 8, iOS 10 and now iOS 11. Not a fan of the new iOS 11 design - it looks like a Tetris game with those jumbled, irregularly-shaped icons, though the new functionalities are good.

'Improving' the design is just a way of spinning things; the truth is they realised they shouldn't have changed it for the sake of changing it in the first place.

Also not a fan of the geriatric design with those big fonts and lots of empty white spaces. What's with those enormous, empty spaces at the top of some apps? They should've taken advantage of the screen real estate to allow more content to be seen at a given time, instead of putting a gigantic label there with empty white spaces around it.

15. Susurs macrumors 6502

Susurs

16. SumYoungGai thread starter macrumors 6502a

The interesting thing is, if you swipe up on the pane that contains the large label, it collapses & goes back to looking how iOS 10 currently looks - small label centered in the top bar. What's the point of the larger label?

17. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Good to know.

When you put a group of middle-aged people with degenerating eye-sight as part of the software design team, I guess this kind of thing tend to happen.

#BringBackScottForstall

18. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Don't like it esthetically, but that's a taste-thing. Functionally though it's just a huge waste of space, especially on smaller devices like the iPhone SE. They should really adjust this dynamically based on the available screen space.

19. ediks macrumors member

I kinda like the new design but i hate the new appstore... such a waste of space

20. Susurs macrumors 6502

Susurs

21. SumYoungGai thread starter macrumors 6502a

I probably will.. but it's kind of a jarring change :)

22. infernohellion macrumors 6502

I have massive problem with it. Worse this really is an effective way to convince me to Samsung.

The worst experience for me apart from the big and bold text is the App update page in the App Store. Like for real?

23. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I like what I've seen so far.

Probably because they want to update it together with the new iTunes.

24. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

The update page is a rather interesting design. I’m sure it’ll be tweaked though.

25. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Absolutely.