[POLL] Are you going to upgrade to any of the new MacBook Pros [MERGED]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adoniteking, Oct 27, 2016.

?

Are you going to upgrade to any of the new MacBook Pros

1. Yes! Apple is still and will always be my chosen platform and company for personal computing

313 vote(s)
    20.4%
  2. Disgruntled but Yes. My love for Apple is being tested with these prices

280 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. No! I am done. This isn't the Apple I use to know and love.

147 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. No, I am still happy with my current gen.

141 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. Sadly No. I intended too but I have been priced out in this new gen. Will wait for depreciation

234 vote(s)
    15.3%
  6. No. The proposed value is lacking in features or the removal of them.

309 vote(s)
    20.1%
  7. Maybe. I want to read the reviews and/or try it out in store before making my decision.

110 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. adoniteking macrumors newbie

adoniteking

Since yesterday's event, there have been allot of comments regarding the MacBook Pros new line up and I think it will be interesting to see how the latest news on their features, prices and company direction have affected you as a consumer. Please choose the option that you feel applies to you

2. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

Going with disgruntled. This is actually going to be my first Mac. I grew up with Windows, and have only ever owned Windows computers. But with the direction Microsoft has been taking since Windows 7, I thought it was time for a change. My 2008 Sony VAIO Z running Windows Vista still runs great hardware-wise, but there's no longer any software support for the device or the OS; so it was time for an upgrade. I knew I was going to get the new MacBook Pro unless it was completely terrible. I was definitely impressed with what I saw in the announcement today (Touch Bar and new form factor stand out).

My only concern is that they were priced a bit more than I thought they would be. But I don't think the prices are unreasonable, compared to both Apple's older offerings as well as those from similar competitors. The thing is, Apple doesn't have many "similar" competitors, so they can charge that supposed Apple tax. My budget didn't allow for anything better than the base 13" with Touch Bar, but I think I will be happy with it.

3. sinanziric macrumors member

While touch bar looks great it's not worth that much money.

4. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I'm 99% sure I'd never use the Touch Bar after the first day or so, and everything else announced while nice isn't worth the price increase to me. So no, I'll keep what I have and see where I go in the future.

5. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I really wish they kept the price points the same. What annoys me is that most likely they will update in about 6 months to a year with slightly better specs and do a price drop. The main reason its expensive now is due to the economies of scale on the OLED touchbars. There will be a $200 to $300 price drop in the next year or two for sure.

6. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

Ultimately, the Touch Bar is just a piece of hardware. And these days, if you want the hardware to be any good, you need a killer app. Most of the stuff shown on the Touch Bar so far isn't anything you can't do onscreen or with the old Fn keys. But I think given time, we could see some cool stuff on it. It has the potential. I just hope it doesn't take as long as it did with the Apple Watch. To me, the Apple Watch is still more of a toy than a useful tool, but I hope the Touch Bar can move beyond that stage.

7. HellasLEAF macrumors member

HellasLEAF

I really want that space grey with touch bar 13 inch but it's just so expensive. It's 2,299 for us Canadians goodness. That's without 13% HST. Currently own an early 2015 version Macbook Pro 13 inch and love it so tough to justify. I really like it though I appreciate the cut weight and mass as personally want the lightest and thinnest but can't justify going with the 12 inch retina just yet.

8. Marhowl macrumors member

Marhowl

I am still trying to make up my mind. So, I have decided to believe in hard numbers.

Here are some reasons why I think the 12" Macbook and the Touch-Bar-Less 13" rMBP will receive a price cut in the near future. Let's say, the next 9 months, or at WWDC 2017

Remember the base Late 2008 Unibody Macbook 13"? Priced at $1,299
    • No Backlit Keyboard. Weak 2.0GHz CPU (History now repeats itself). Removable battery. Actually a worse a quality display compared to later models (I disassembled a few of them)
    • 8 months or so later, became the "Macbook Pro" priced at $1,199, Backlit keyboard in all models, received longer battery life thanks to non-removable battery, SD Card slot and a faster 2.26GHz CPU.

Now, I'm not saying we are getting and SD card slot again or any of these upgrades, but it serves as good example.

Here are some more:

Remember the Early 2009 17" Macbook Pro? Was priced at whopping $2,799.

• Had a weak 2.66GHz C2D CPU for some reason in the base configuration
    • 4-5 months later, received a $300 price cut and a 2.8GHz CPU that was finally up to par with the CTO 2.93GHz CPU from the Early 2009 model
    • Then, in 2010 there was a base i5 model for $2,299 but then again in 2011 became priced at $2,499. Whatever

Remember the 2008 Macbook Air? Priced at $1,799! You had to be crazy to buy one back then, unless you really didn't care. I call this computer the ultimate trap for "Early Adopters", or perhaps "Unpaid Apple Beta Testers"
    • 17 months later of its release, discounted at $1,499
    • Another 17 months later or something, in Late 2010, a 11" model gets released priced at just $999. However, still bad time to buy. Mid 2011 models were superior on all levels
    • Early 2014. Late but still, the 11" Macbook airs started at $899. Not bad
    One last minor, but quite recent example. There was a base 15" rMBP in Mid-2012 starting at 2,199. In late 2013 the base model was $1,999.

Therefore, based on this info and how apple puts price tags on its 1st generation products, (The most recent example could be the Apple Watch) only to discount that product later when it becomes the second generation or when they just put new hardware in the same damn thing, I HOPE for the following to happen:

--- The 13" rMBP base model will become priced at $1,299, or even at $1,199, becoming the true next Macbook Air 13" Replacement

--- Hopefully, the 12" Macbook will receive one Thunderbolt 3 port instead of just the USB-C, will start at $999, becoming the next true replacement of the 11" Macbook Air.

--- The 13" models with touch bar should also receive a price cut, matching the prices from before

Now, I don't know about the 15" Models, but I would very much like to see a base model for $1,999

So, that's my conclusion. That conclusion is also based on some feelings, so don't take my word for it. However, I am going to go ahead and listen to these feelings. I've seen too many people adopting too early. Don't forget this is basically a 1st gen product. Nobody paid you to test it. I hope there are enough reasonable people on this forum to not fall into this trap. Leave this "Beta Testing" job to clueless people.

I'm interested what you guys think, so I have created a small poll :)

9. fabriciom macrumors 6502

10. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Seems to me that people want to buy the new macbook pro, but simply can't because it's too expensive. I very much suspect that this will end up being an iphone 1 problem all over again where Apple realizes that they have overpriced it and will drop the price by $200 across the board within the first two months. Apple's really screwed up the pricing. Never anticipated that price would be a factor for those who'd been waiting for years for a new macbook pro. Except that those prices, at a $500 premium, are squarely in the ridiculous territory, affordable by only a select few. It's not a question of want or desire or will anymore. It's a question of basic math. It is not unlike a ferrari. Sure, why not? But I never consider it because it's way out of my price range. These computers are no longer in BMW territory. They are now in ferrari territory.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 28, 2016 ---
    Please don't buy the macbook pro and support this kind of behavior. Buy a used one.

11. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

12. Michael Anthony macrumors regular

None of Apple's new laptops really entice me, I've got a 15" 2011 MB Pro, being able to upgrade the hard drive to a 1TB SSD and 16GB of memory was nice and it feels as fast as anything Apple sells now.

13. VAGDesign macrumors 6502

VAGDesign

There must be a company to create a similar panel integrated on top case of old MacBook Pros.
    Replace this part, and you have this gimmick with all the expand-ability previous models have.
    Price it like $200-$250 and you're rich. :)

Just an idea of what Apple offers... a gimmick, not for Pros. These MacBook Pros are as Pro as the iPad Pro.
    Shame.

14. 0014 macrumors regular

I bought the top of the line 13" MacBook Pro in Sept and took advantage of the back to school offer so I got a free set of Beats Solo 2 Wireless headphones. Here in the U.K. They are £250.

I paid £1204.40 for the top 13" with 500gb SSD, 8Gb 1866mhz Ram & 2.9 Ghz processor.

The identical spec 13" with the Touchbar is £550 more expensive!!!!!!

Yes I know it has faster Ram, faster SSD (you will never see that in the real world as the current one is running at around 1200MB/s read & write) and the fancy Thunderbolt 3 ports.

But I don't see how they're justifying such a price hike. I was expecting around £200-250.

I'm still studying the pics and specs trying to find how you get a daily blow job from it at those prices! :p

15. Essel macrumors newbie

Essel

Just before the keynote I was ready to order the new MBP....

That all changed when the store reopened. First shock is the price, £1749...too much. Second is the spec, less "practical" connectivity. This for me is the deal breaker, the ability to connect different monitors, USB's and SD cards without a bag full of adaptors is a bonus. Thirdly, smaller battery, I get an easy full days work out of this one including recharging my iPhone.

Spec wise, the 2015 is actually more desirable.

Essel

16. Kimcha macrumors regular

Sure, you are of course right. The prices will go down eventually, but your examples are not "a little big longer".

You have some some good examples such as the 2008 macbook and 2009 17" mbp

17 months is a LONG wait and then 3 years. You are also comparing 13" with 11", which I don't think is reasonable.

Yes, but they also dropped the dGPU in the base model, which is why it was cheaper. What are they going to drop this time?

I agree with you, the prices will fall eventually and it could be "soonish" (6-12 months), but it could also take a lot longer (4 years).

I wouldn't wait.

*Edit*
    I think one valid reason to wait could be kaby lake as you would get h265 support, which would significantly future proof your laptop in my opinion.

17. Hadron macrumors regular

My current one is reaching the age at which I'd generally consider an upgrade, and could use more storage/RAM. But it's not essential yet, and I've seen nothing that convinces me I need to jump (and some extra hassle with the port changes etc, which we knew about before the keynote). So even though it's a work machine (so not out of my pocket) I'm going to hold off for this year, unless something happens to this one.

Anyway, it's a first generation product in some senses, so I'd never pre-order. Always let someone else pay to do the beta testing.

18. bob24 macrumors 6502

Price will drop with the second or third generation. They always do that with laptops.

19. clangers23 macrumors member

There will probably be reconditioned MBP's on eBay for substantially less in a couple of months. That's how I've picked up my last couple of Macbooks without any issues doing so.

20. fabriciom macrumors 6502

and a price drop of $100 is going to make you want to buy an item overpriced by at least $500? Not even talking about the high end machines which have seen an over price of like $1.000.

21. 0014 macrumors regular

Don't you mean $1,000? If it was just $1.000 I would have ordered already. :p

22. fabriciom macrumors 6502

Sorry friend, in Spain we use different separators. (your , is our .).

23. bob24 macrumors 6502

The drop will be more than 100.

See the 13" retina:
    - Originally the entry-level 1rst gen was 1699 (only 100 less than the touch-bar 13 pricing today): http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/3542996/apple-13-inch-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-announced
    - A few month later the entry-level 2nd gen was 1499: http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/13/3983962/apple-lowers-13-inch-macbook-pro-retina-price-1499
    - And within less than 2 years the entry-level 3rd gen was 1299: http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/29/5...tina-display-processor-ram-upgrade-price-drop

24. Easttime, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016

Easttime macrumors 6502

You left out the option for "Disgruntled and now undecided about whether to continue with MacOS or switch to Windows". That's where I find myself this morning.

UPDATE: ... and I bought a 13" MBP-TB. Really liking it. No buyers remorse but still uneasy about the dollars I spent. And hope it lasts at least 5 years. Couldn't bear to leave the convenient Apple ecosystem.

25. fabriciom macrumors 6502

Good luck with that.

I'm still waiting for a price drop on the mac pro...:rolleyes: