Poll: Around the World in 140 Days

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Mar 15, 2018.

?

Could you ever see yourself going on this cruise

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
  1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

A new cruise was recently announced that will take 140 days, visit all seven continents (62 ports in 32 countries), and starting cost are $62000 / person double occupancy.

I can't see this being a success (with the length of time and the cost).

If you have ever been on a cruise, do you have any horror stories ?

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I enjoyed the one cruise I went on and would do that one in a heart beat if it didn't cost 62k

3. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I went on a cruise as a single guy before. It was awesome. I think I spent a total of 8 hours in my cabin (3 levels below the main deck) on a 3 days, 2 night Bahamas cruise. Spent most of my time on the ship eating (15 meals a dayo_O) and watching shows.
    Many, many years later, I went on a Disney cruise with the family including 2 toddlers. Awful experience. I spent most of my time taking the kids from place to place. The kids had fun, so it was worth it.
    Even if I were still single, I wouldn't spend $62K on a cruise.

4. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Sure why not? I read about a retired woman who lives in on a cruise year round. Besides, according to the article, the cruise goes back in time too so that's gotta be interesting.

5. 0007776 Suspended

It’s cheaper than an assisted living facility, and you have a lot of people that do cruises instead of that. So I’m sure it’ll work.

6. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

I wonder what the target audience is? I could see something like this geared towards the blue hairs who have lots of savings and no travel experience.

Count me out. I've traveled in well over 30 countries, but that's taken me a lifetime to do. The biggest lesson I've learnt on the way is that it is best to take your time and immerse yourself into the food, culture, history and surroundings.

A trip as rushed as this one would be my personal idea of travel hell.

7. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I enjoy cruises, but not that much. I can only stay on a vessel for so long. I also prefer trips where I have a bit more agency. I like to decide where to go and I like some spontaneity too. When my friends and I traveled Europe last summer and a lot of the trip was improvised, that was some of the most fun I've ever had.

8. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

I initially marked "no", but that was because I didn't read the article.

Now that I see it -

$62k to visit 62 ports around the world and come back a year before is worth the price. That's a cheap price to pay for time travelling on a cruise.

9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

We did a cruise for our Honeymoon and while it had some positives for sure Im not sure Id do it again. The all-inclusiveness part of it is nice. You eat like a slob anytime you want. But, going form port to port for a limited amount of time at each place made us feel rushed at times. We didnt spend as much time at each location as we wanted. This was a 7-day cruise too.

Maybe Id do one that just hit 1 or 2 total places so you had a lot more time at each port.

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I never really felt rushed because I never really planned to do a lot of sight seeing when off the boat, but yea if that was my intent I'd feel rushed too. Maybe a cruise company needs to a hop on hop off like those buses NYC/London the line always stops in the same ports.

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I've only been on one cruise and I went a little stir crazy in between ports. There was nothing wrong with the cruise, room, food, or the shows... But I don't gamble, I read fast, and the wifi sucked (and was super expensive). If it wasn't for the ex being there with me I would have slept a lot more of the day away.

12. Zenithal macrumors G3

I can think of four people off the bat who'd do this.

13. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I have a friend who did one similar to this. He and his wife loved it.

I love cruising, although I prefer riverboats. Yea, after I retire I could totally do that cruise.

14. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

I wonder how many intestinal viruses will spread through the ship on such a long voyage.

15. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Did a 14 day trip through the Panama Canal this past year. Was stir crazy by 10 days. So hell no.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

You say it like they sewage on board the ship long term. In international waters, no one is gonna stop them from flushing all that crap into the ocean.

17. cube macrumors P6

You can already spend 20K on a 50 day cruise.