Poll: Bush still blamed for economy

freeny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/02/12/poll-bush-still-blamed-for-economy/?fbid=9Xx5ijO2v0t

(CNN) - More than a year after President George W. Bush left office, more Americans continue to blame his administration over any other entity for the nation's economic woes, according to a new poll.

In a New York Times/CBS News survey out Friday, 31 percent of Americans said the Bush administration is at fault for the current state of the economy while only 7 percent pointed their finger at President Obama and his team.

An additional 23 percent said the fault lies with Wall Street institutions while 13 percent assign the blame to Congress. Nearly 10 percent said the blame lies with all of them.

In a CNN/Opinion Research poll released last November, the public appeared split on who should be blamed if economic conditions don't approve: 47 percent said Bush and congressional Republicans while 45 percent said Obama and congressional Democrats.

"The public still tends to blame the Republicans for current economic conditions," said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "But looking forward is another matter. Americans think the GOP is responsible for getting us into this mess, but they think both parties are responsible for getting us out of it."

The poll, conducted February 5-10, interviewed 1,084 Americans and carries a sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
Any information on where this poll was conducted? I would expect wall street to be much higher on the list.
as it says at the link;

The nationwide telephone poll of 1,084 adults was taken from Feb. 5 through 10 and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus three percentage points for all adults.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
The poll itself is fatally flawed. First of all, it's ridiculous to think that one person or entity is responsible for the current state of the economy. Second, it's ridiculous to believe that a worldwide economic recession can even be squarely attributed solely to one country. Where are the other options in the poll? People tend not to look beyond their front yards at stuff like this; in the meantime, just about every developed economy was going through much of the same economic heartache the U.S. is.

One person didn't cause this, and one person isn't gonna fix it. This is a problem that completely transcends political affiliation.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The poll itself is fatally flawed. First of all, it's ridiculous to think that one person or entity is responsible for the current state of the economy. Second, it's ridiculous to believe that a worldwide economic recession can even be squarely attributed solely to one country. Where are the other options in the poll? People tend not to look beyond their front yards at stuff like this; in the meantime, just about every developed economy was going through much of the same economic heartache the U.S. is.

One person didn't cause this, and one person isn't gonna fix it. This is a problem that completely transcends political affiliation.
We all know this, but that doesn't mean the (clueless) public blames more than one person. Its an opinion poll.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005

No poll is 100% accurate. What this poll shows is there is still a bad lingering taste left in the mouths of Americans from the last administration, even a year later.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

I don't know if it's flawed. The basis of it is flawed, but the result is still meaningful data.

It's like a poll asking whether you believe in evolution or creationism. Perhaps neither of the answers are right, but it's still meaningful to know what people believe, even if they're wrong. In this case, it's good news for Obama and the Democrats that they're not being blamed for the economy, even if you can't place the blame squarely on Bush.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Lets see Bush pissed away a trillion in Iraq and most of the attackers were Saudi and no WMD's were found in Iraq except the ones his Dad and Rumsfield gave them? Bin Laden is still making tapes. Trillion $$$ that we are paying for now.

Hell Yes I blame Bush & 6 years of total republican rule in the congress by a bunch of cowardly republican draft dodgers for our economy and helping their oil barons and wall street bankers and on and on. Washington is bought off and owned.

Ill give Obama 4 years to undo 8 years of Bush & Republicans, maybe more.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I don't think the damage can be undone at a 2:1 ratio, or even a 1:1 ratio. America is gonna be in trouble for a while.:(
Its why Im willing to give Obama more time but his democratic congressional prostitutes is another question, I say Kick out all of Congress and have a random draw out of the phone book or elect only independents.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
No poll is 100% accurate. What this poll shows is there is still a bad lingering taste left in the mouths of Americans from the last administration, even a year later.
I'm not questioning whether it's accurate, I'm questioning whether there's a bias in the results based on not allowing proper choices in the poll; see below.

It's like a poll asking whether you believe in evolution or creationism. Perhaps neither of the answers are right, but it's still meaningful to know what people believe, even if they're wrong.
Again, I'm not talking about whether the poll answers are right or wrong; I'm talking about whether valid choices are given for responses.

To use your example, you could poll people as to whether they believe in evolution or creationism, and the results you get are far less meaningful than if you ask if they believe in evolution, creationism, some combination of both, neither, or something else altogether.

The poll in the original post seems to want the respondent to choose ONLY from a single source of blame from within the U.S. I don't recall seeing "all of the above," "other," etc. offered as possible responses. And like I said, this problem is worldwide; the U.S. is not the sole source of responsibility for either causing it, or for fixing it.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Second, it's ridiculous to believe that a worldwide economic recession can even be squarely attributed solely to one country. Where are the other options in the poll? People tend not to look beyond their front yards at stuff like this; in the meantime, just about every developed economy was going through much of the same economic heartache the U.S. is.
It was triggered in the US by moronically irresponsible lending for mortgages. There is no sense in pretending the root cause came from anywhere else. Had there been regulation in place to eliminate that sort of irresponsibility, we would not be where we are today.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
In fairness we deserve our share of the blame too.
Indeed we should blame the UK. Would you mind at all if we nuked your little island off the map for this indiscretion? LOLJK

Of course you are correct, it is not an individual nations fault for happening, burden to bear, or responsibility to repair.....I still think we should nuke somebody though we're long overdue--actually I was never that fond of Utah perhaps we'll deal with some internal issues:D

May 8, 2008
I guess this poll just shows how stupid most people are. The President has virtually no control over the economy.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
No surprise there, really.
I was shocked. What does Congress have to do with it? What does Wall Street have to do with it? I thought this whole thing was Obama's fault. OK, just kidding ;)

...but there are some out there who think this recession was "started" by Obama and I have a feeling some of them attend tea party rallies

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
So his decision to invade a few countries would have virtually no impact on the economy at all?
Seriously.

The economy of the US for the last 8 years has been based on, for lack of a better tagline, the Military Industrial Complex.

There is no argument you could make, no charts you could show, no amount of stats or polling you can conduct that would make even the smallest dent in the costs of running TWO WARS 24/7 for 8+years.

Mortgages, bailouts, who gives a crap, we spend more per minute in Iraq than most people make in a lifetime. (its called hyperbole, look it up before you ask for references)

And someone is going to try and tell the American population it wasnt "Bush's Fault" when HE PERSONALLY (using Presidential position not knowledge to do it) got us into these 2 wars !?

Where have you been?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
There is no argument you could make, no charts you could show, no amount of stats or polling you can conduct that would make even the smallest dent in the costs of running TWO WARS 24/7 for 8+years.
There is - healthcare reform. The two wars don't waste even $0.5 trillion/year.

I mean the military industrial complex ******** is bad, but healthcare is as big, if not a bigger problem.

Desertrat

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2003
Terlingua, Texas
Stipulate that the money spent on the Iraq war was wasted.

In the grand scheme of world monetary policy over these last twenty years which, overall, created this mess, the Iraq war costs are chump change.

Nations cannot monetize their debt without degrading the buying power of the currency. That means that governmental spending will always increase, and that deficits will always grow. That's a worldwide phenomenon, right now, with the possible exception of China. It's certainly true of the US, England and the Eurozone to name but a few.

You can holler regulation, Bush and war all you want. That's irrelevant to what's now going on, which is a continuation of monetizing debt. 180 degrees from solving our economic problems.

I said in mid-2008 that Obama would continue Bush's economic and monetary policies. He did and he is and as near as I can tell, he will continue to do so at an even greater rate than Bush.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Shocking! :eek:
Enter with a budget surplus and exit with record deficit/debt. While several factors come into play, of course the president will bear the brunt of the blame in the eyes of the populace (but on the other hand presidents also take the majority of the credit when things go well during their administration).