Poll: By age group (17-, 18+), Is your iPhone still okay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Oct 3, 2007.

?

Have you damaged (cracked, bricked, or broken) your iPhone in any way?

1. I am UNDER 18 and have NOT damaged my iPhone.

24 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. I am UNDER 18 and HAVE damaged my iPhone.

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  3. I am OVER 18 and have NOT damaged my iPhone.

130 vote(s)
    78.3%
  4. I am OVER 18 and HAVE damaged my iPhone.

10 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Of all of the threads mentioning or involving teenagers owning an iPhone (two of mine causng quite a lot of commotion leading to an article in iphonematters.com), most peoples' opinion is that kids should not own an iPhone, and many also say that kids should not have a cell phone at all because they are either TOTALLY spoiled, even they are paying for it,or because they have no responsibility at all. It has been over three months since the iPhone has been released and I've had it since day one. Now, I find it strange how even though most people on this forum know that I am SO irresponsible, that my iPhone is in near perfect condition. I am creating this poll to see who has damaged more iPhones, kids or adults.

EDIT: Sorry, in the poll, I meant to say "18 and older."

2. DopestGingah macrumors regular

It doesn't matter what age you are. I have been EXTREMELY careful since every electronic I have had. I am just like that. It is in a person's DNA whether or not they are careful with valuables.

3. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

the iPhone is really delicate I have to take a lot of care while using it. I don't really think that age would play a part in this since accidents can happen with anyone regardless of their age.

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

^
    no,
    The iPhone is very durable.
    I have dropped it several times, and it is almost perfects (other than a scuffed up bezel, but I think that is from my pocket.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

My phone is still looking good. I have a scratch or two on the back, but other than that, it's great! I'm 27.

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Now that the cost has dropped, I don't see the big difference between the iPhone and the iPod Touch for teenagers. If the iPod Touch is OK, why not the iPhone (assuming they already have a phone...)?

7. atarin macrumors regular

I agree (and not just because I spoil my niece and nephew). Most kids have to have cell phones (because both parents work, etc.), and most kids have iPods. What's the difference if they are one in the same gadget? Not to mention that a lot of kids will save their allowance, gift money, or their own hard earned money from jobs to buy things for themselves (including paying their own phone bills). I know my niece and nephew have offered to pay their own part of my family plan, but I won't let them because they both put most of their allowance, gift money, and odd-job money into savings accounts they hope to use to pay for college (and all that entails). They are both responsible honor students who work hard at their chores and odd jobs, and they are always willing to help others. I'm so proud of them, and since I can afford to do this for them, it is my pleasure to do so.

If kids are mature enough to take care of their things and appreciate the value of money (and the hard work it takes to get money), then why not let them have nice things? I think it matters most whether or not their parents have raised them properly to have these values. Not all children simply expect things to be handed to them and don't take proper care of their things. Sure, there are those who do, but that is more a reflection on the quality of parenting that they receive, IMHO.

8. earthsick macrumors regular

Should kids have iPhones? Probably not...but people need to get over it. The iPhone is becoming/is a status symbol and the hip thing to have. Just like the razor was, just like the iPod, just like Jordan sneakers, or Coach bags. Fads come and go, parents are stupid and let their bratty irresponsible kid have one, they mess it up just in time for it to be replaced by the new hot item. Yes, the kids in the mall that go on and on about how awesome that new Rhianna song is are going to have the same phone as you. Oh well.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The poll results don't look anything like the number of people wailing on MacRumors about their iPhone being bricked or having some sort of physical damage. Perhaps, most of them have gotten replacements.

It's always surprising to me that people don't take care of expensive items, such as those people who sat down on their 1st generation iPod nanos.

10. Ill Mitch macrumors member

Ill Mitch

what if you're 18? there's no category in the poll for me... :p

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

And what about 17 year olds (it's "<17, 18+")?

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

People wonder why software is so buggy and then, situations like this appear. :D

13. err404 macrumors 68020

I am over 18 and posted damaged since the screen lost touch sensitivity and needed to be replaced. However the phone's body was flawless.
    Sometimes damage is out of your hands.

14. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I always forget whether I must put </> in my java for loops >_< I use process of elimination though, if the one doesnt work use teh other!

15. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

I'm only 18 years old, I bought an iPhone for $800 and got it unlocked, because I'm in the UK - I use my iPod Video case as the iPhone case, and all seems to be good!

16. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I edited the original post last night saying I meant to say "18 or older." Sorry about that.

17. BENNYBLANCO macrumors newbie

Question for bousozoku...

I saw a post from some time age entitled "Gun law triggers at least 13 shootings "

I was wondering how you were able to get quotes from the officers taped testimony? I would like to research it myself. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

18. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

25 here and I got some smaller scratches AND dropped it a few times but it is still in fine shape and works great

19. ben5959 macrumors regular

im 22 and i have dropped my phone ttwice on rough cement. It was a fluke accident both times, I am SOOOOOO careful with my phone at all times and am upset that i now have a few scratches on the back casing. A word of advice to all people with scratched bezles, if you take a scotch brite pad and buff the bezle, it will give it a brushed metal look and take out all the scratches. Also seeing as the mirror finish is now gone, it will prevent future scratches. It looks WAY cooler now that I've done this. you wont be dissappointed!!!!!!

20. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

So far...

Damaged their phone:

Under 18 - 11.8%
    Over 18 - 8.5%

The poll is too small to be conclusive but most kids tend to go through a klutz phase so it would stand to reason that iPhones in the hands of kids are more likely to be broken.

21. Encanto macrumors regular

I am always careful with electronics as well. However, I bought my iphone earl January and unfortunatelly I had issues and had the phone replace once last week and again this week. So I am on my third Iphone. Hopefully this time I wont have any issued. :D

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Right. What matters is if you paid for it or someone bought it for you. If you know you'll just be given another, it's a lot harder to care about what happens to it!

Please note that I count Christmas presents as "you paid for it." In that case it counts as something you earned. You "gave up" some other Christmas present to get this one. Moreso, it won't be replaced if you break it, which is the real key.