Poll - Democrat or Republican, Liberal or Conservative

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Sep 18, 2012.

1. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I thought it would be interesting to see what the demographic is for the Mac users.

Are you a Democrat or a Republican?

Sorry if there is a way to make a poll and I didn't see it.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

It's not this black and white. The terms liberal and conservative no longer apply to either of these parties.

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

4. TSE, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

TSE macrumors 68030

Not a good thread. Conservative isn't conservative anymore.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Troll fail

And you can add to that list Party fail and Romney fail while you are at it.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Don't you mean the GOP is not conservative anymore? ;) There are conservatives and neocons floating around, although if forced they will vote for bad GOP candidates if it means keeping a Democrat out of office.

7. TSE macrumors 68030

Yeah, should say neo-conservatives call themselves conservatives nowadays therefore the term has lost it's meaning.

8. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Fiscally conservative and Socially moderate/liberal.

What do I win.

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

A disappointing candidate for 2012. :p

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

A ticket to the Democratic Party.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

There are two ways to view "conservative". It's lets keep things traditional. Or lets keep the system so it benefits me. That depends on how much of a cynic you are. ;)

12. TSE macrumors 68030

Not at all.

13. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Social liberal, fiscal conservative, foreign policy very conservative. I almost always vote Libertarian.

14. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I hear this a lot. "social liberal, but fiscal conservative". I have no issue with that at all, but do have a question on how they can coexist? If you are socially liberal but fiscally conservative then where does all the money come from. It takes a lot of money to to be socially liberal, and therefore, makes it hard to be fiscally conservative. I could be wrong here and welcome any feedback on how they coexist.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

IMO, being fiscally conservative means operating within one's means. It doesn't mean you have to constrain yourself to the smallest and most meager existence, whether in the public or private sector. Being fiscally conservative means understanding that expenditures should match revenue, and that waste, fraud and inefficiency should always be minimized. Government should be as small as possible, so long as it meets the needs and will of the people. I see no problem combining those fiscal principles with being socially liberal.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You're going by the assumption here that being conservative means not spending very much money. I'd argue that. You can still be conservative and spend money, just as long as you aren't spending more money than you have.

Bill Clinton put it quite simply:

[​IMG]

;):D

17. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Very well said. The problem seems to be these days....that the government over spends much in part because of the social programs it supports. It is not willing to say "No" to a program even if they do not have money to spend.

I agree with you. I am all for some social programs as log as it doesn't lead to overspending. I can't do it, so why does the government get to?