POLL: Do You Think Betsy DeVos Will Get Confirmed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 7, 2017.

?

Do You Think Betsy DeVos Will Get Confirmed

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Not Sure

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Don't Care

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. samcraig macrumors P6

It's going to come down to the wire... What do you think? After voting, feel free to comment on whether or not you think she's qualified (or not).

2. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

3. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I don’t get why people are so obsessed with preserving our crappy education system as is. It’s not like more qualified people in the position have improved it. She’ll just bring her own box of off brand band aides to the table.

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

That's no reason to confirm someone that can and likely will make it much worse. The objective of any appointee should be to get the most qualified person to fill the role. DeVos is not that person. My .02.

5. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

She wants to privatize education to Corporations?

Yeah just like our Social Security System, Why don't we privatize it and sell it off to wall street? also? :)

6. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Well if one thing is for sure, it's that government can do anything better than private industry. - Said no one ever

7. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I said yes, and that scares me.

And it's not that I want more of the "same" as always, just education and Devos should never be used in the same sentence yet alone thought.

8. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

9. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

In general, Presidents get their cabinets confirmed. Especially new Presidents. Very especially new Presidents whose party has such an overwhelming lock over the Congress.

Usually, new Presidents and new Congressmen want to start off on the right foot with each other. Trump has well and truly poisoned any relationship he may have had with any Democrats, but I don't think the Republicans want to give up on him yet, especially as this is the first time in a very long time that they might control both Congress and the White House. The quality of the candidate herself is, I think, not the true issue in this case; it'll be whether any Republican Senator really wants to go down the path of exile once they catch Trumps eye. (Because, man, everybody knows that Trump keeps an enemies list, and tries to make life painful for those on it.)

10. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

She could be the sacrificial lamb of this administration - lose her but get the others confirmed.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Of course she'll get confirmed. The GOP's "principles" these days consist of putting incredibly wealthy people in charge of departments they don't think should exist in the first place.

This is a continuation of their tactic of underfunding services to the point where they can't function properly, point to that disfunction as a reason why THEY should be elected to "fix" it, and then work to dismantle the service out of existence or to the point where it gets nothing but a bad rap from the public.

Watch the EPA.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I hope not.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2017 ---
    yeah, that's what I was thinking...

13. MaulRx Suspended

I don't think she will. More than likely she will be scared into pulling out. Like the army sec did

14. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Tell that Enron's stockholders.

15. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

How much worse can it get? We spend WAY more per student than anywhere in the universe by a huge margin yet we keep turning out moron after moron for the most part. Our kids under-peform against some nations/countries that barely have running water. WTF is that?

I know what the big problem is: Its those obnoxious unions and their neber ending demands for more and more cash. Yet, the cash ends up NOT making it to the students and instead gets sucked up into the unions vortex of pay, benefits, and "administrative" garbage. So lets see what this new person can do.

16. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Usually when someone says something like how much worse can it get fails to realize - a LOT. Not a gambler with my kid's education. Thanks.
    Well that sucks.

17. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Oops. The Senate just confirmed her, with Pence breaking the tie.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....what reality are you living in? Every teacher I've ever met or discussed the profession with has been giving up pay (pay freezes while natural inflation occurs) and losing benefits, while paying out of their own pockets for school supplies. Where in the hell is this never ending demand for more pay happening? Because they sure as **** aren't getting that extra pay.

19. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

great, more fairy tales in school

20. samiwas macrumors 65816

It's essentially like saying "Well, I've had a leak in my basement for a few years, and the last three plumbers I hired didn't fix it correctly. So, I've decided to hire a dry cleaner to take care of it."

In the end, I think she will be confirmed simply because the Republican mantra these days is "Just do whatever pisses off liberals".

Edit: And while i was typing this, we saw the news that she was confirmed. Say goodbye to education as we know it. And if you think this dim-witted idiot is going to improve things, you are braindead.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

No God... ;)

22. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Exactly.

Apparently lack of knowledge and/or experience is only relevant when we're talking about gun legislation. Then we have to hear all about how people who know nothing about guns shouldn't create policy.

But our kids' education? Meh, no worries.

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

There are numerous things that are simply not viable for privatization. Private industry cannot do everything better unless government is paying them to do it.

Ask the people who keep slashing their budgets and their ability to teach.

What is alternate reality like? I've heard about it, but since you come from there, maybe you can explain.
    Couldn't have come up with a better analogy.

24. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

wonder if we will see Amway selling classes now? like this person knows anything about schools. but he wishes are granted every day right. Thank you trump supporters its on your head s now.

25. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

I really hope not, but I voted yes. There aren't enough voices in Congress to ensure a definite no.