Poll ... do you use your thumbs to type on the keyboard, or just one finger, or ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rybold, Sep 28, 2008.

?

How do you type on your iPhone's keyboard?

1. With two thumbs

180 vote(s)
    72.6%
  2. With one finger

52 vote(s)
    21.0%
  3. (other)

16 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Some of my friends can hold their phone and type really fast with just their two thumbs. It's never worked for me! The accuracy just isn't there. If I try to type with my thumbs, it never registers the key that I intend to touch. So, I just use my pointer finger instead. I can type faster that way.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS if you know a way to help me out here! I am NOT a large person, with fat thumbs. I am very much average size. Is this one of those things, like when we first learned how to type on a computer, that is awkward and tedious at first, but is much more efficient once we get in the habit of it? Is anyone else struggling with this problem?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The thumbs of the person in the right photo look UNUSUALLY skinny. (compare shape of your right thumb).

2. iblastoff macrumors 6502

i couldnt imagine typing with one finger. that seems way too slow. i use the double thumb method with no real accuracy issues. autocorrection lets you get away with fast typing most of the time.

3. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

The keyboard gets better the more you use it. I imagine if you use it a lot with your thumbs, it would get better with time and you would get used to it. It seems like it would be incredibly slow using just one finger.

4. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

I'm sorry, but typing with one finger is more inaccurate than using two thumbs! Plus you get less control over where you are placing your own finger.. and it looks pretty stupid.

5. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

both. depends on what im doing.
    i probably lean more towards the one finger though with the phone laying on a table.

6. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

7. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

8. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Okay, I think I just learned something. Just now, I opened a new notepad file and just started typing a whole bunch of stuff really fast. As I was typing, the letters that I was intending to press were NOT the letters that registered about 30% of the time, BUT, INCREDIBLY, when I went back to look at what I had typed, software figured out what words I was attempting to type. Impressive! However, there were still a few mistakes - which I had to go back and fix. Still though, nice. :)

So, in conclusion, if I want to type fast and then have to go back and make corrections, two thumbs is the way to go. But if I don't mind typing a little slower, but then not having to go back and make corrections, then one finger is the route to go.

9. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

That's what I do, when someone wants to know how good the keyboard is.
    I tell them to quickly type the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog without looking at the text field, only the keyboard and they're always amazed at how good it works, even if they know they've typed the wrong keys.

10. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

ditto

11. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

In my case, I used my two thumb's. Now, I use none. Why? My screen went kaputz.

12. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

LMAO, I just went to notes and tryed typing that in, and i got "The quick brown fox humps over the lazy dog."

but i use two thumbs.

13. Doju macrumors 68000

One toe.

Okay, I lie, but there *was* this one time. Anyway, two thumbs, wicked fast.

14. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

two thumbs. one finger though when on safari.

15. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

The keyboard gets better the more you use it. I imagine if you use it a lot with your thumbs, it would get better with time and you would get used to it. It seems like it would be incredibly slow using just one finger.

16. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I just typed it, and although I clearly know many of keys pressed were not the
    correct keys, at the end I looked to see what it had typed and it was perfect. Those are all simple, mainstream words though. When you start typing more specific words, names, and data (like URLs, emails), and stuff that is IMPORTANT, more errors are not corrected (or sometimes, you typed what you had wanted, but it "corrected" it to something else), and sometimes the "important" stuff can have MAJOR ramifications! What if you are replying to a business client, and it changes one word, which changes the whole meaning of the sentence!

17. Amt macrumors regular

I use my thumbs. Much easier in my opinion. And WAY faster.

18. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

19. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Usually I type with 2 thumbs on landscape mode and 1 thumb on portrait mode.

20. Eric. macrumors regular

Maybe try reading what you typed? :confused:

21. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

One or two thumbs, depends on what else I'm doing.

22. PittAir macrumors regular

Believe it or not...my middle finger works best for me. I guess I'm giving it to Jobs and Apple every time I type!

23. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

24. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

You're flipping them off for making the most advanced phone out there?

25. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Depending on the situation..

Two thumbs

Or left thumb and right index finger