Poll: Donald Trump always seems so serious....... Why so?

Why does Donald Trump come across so serious?

• He's a genius who knows he should be taken seriously.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • He has the weight of the USA's problems on his mind.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • It's just The Donald being Donald, and he's a great guy.

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Good negotiating strategy to not give anything away.

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Wants to seem smarter than he really is

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Got a bit to hide, so best to keep a poker face.

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • He's a pathological liar covering his dishonesty.

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • He's a buffon who doesn't want to be seen as a joke

Votes: 32 65.3%
  • Angry, bitter and unappreciated, he has nothing to smile about

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Worried his nearest and dearest might go to jail.

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

Micky Do

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
An island in the Andaman Sea.
From years ago until now, Donald Trump is always seen wearing a suit, always sounding so serious as he delivers needlessly wordy monologues in that boring deadpan voice. He seems desperate to be taken seriously, always wanting to impress with his importance......... There is never a light moment, never a joke, never a laugh. Why so?

Is it to belie the problem he frequently appears to have with the truth?

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
The suit thing is part of his image as an east coast billionaire. While companies like Facebook and Google and even Apple (and their founders) go for a more casual dress code, that doesn’t really pass in east coast culture. I’m not sure he wears a suit when he’s not in public, but it probably has to do with perpetuating the image of the Trump brand.

He’s definitely tries to associate himself with old school, east coast professionalism and elitism. That said the man possesses absolutely little to no class when it comes to his attitude and interpersonal skills, especially when conflict is involved. I’d also say his preferred architectural sense of style is nothing less than gaudy. Lastly, I think he just likes to hear himself talk.

He could definitely be considered the stereotype and embodiment of “neuvo riche”. Obnoxious in attitude and taste- and the belief that money is the be all, end all of existence.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
Ever watched a rally of his? He makes jokes throughout. And then everyone flips out about every non-serious thing he says.

In general, the idea of humor is quickly being suffocated from the larger societal conversations.

Reactions: npolly0212

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
He hosts events at the White House almost every day and there are always light moments.

This thread takes the cake when it comes to ‘How can we pile on Donald Trump today?’

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Because he's playing 4D chess with stupid Democrats, who think it's checkers.
Yes, because the polls where so accurate predicting Hillary would win by a landslide.:rolleyes:
]

A year later and you still don't seem to understand the polls and what they said.

Also - Trump can't even play regular chess. He wouldn't remotely have the patience for something that involved a long game. Trump's team might be playing some chess. Definitely not 4D.

Simply put - to play 4D chess in politics, you actually have to fully understand the issues and all maneuvers and their outcomes. Trump has proven time and again he does not.

Reactions: Eraserhead

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
This poll doesn’t offer my answer:

Trump is just a very angry, bitter man who gets some of his few jollies venting his anger and bitterness at other people.

Ever Google pictures of him? Five percent are smiling. Ten percent are dopey. And the other 85% look pissed off.

But hey, he’s a guy full of levity, right? According to his fans he’s Mr. Sunshine.

Oh, you mean the person who is now the President?
Well, he’s playing at being president. There’s more to the job than just the title.

(Edited for clarity.)

Last edited:

Micky Do

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
This poll doesn’t offer my answer:

Trump is just a very angry, bitter man who gets some of his few jollies venting his anger and bitterness at other people.

Ever Google pictures of him? Five percent are smiling. Ten percent are dopey. And the other 85% look pissed off.

But hey, he’s a guy full of levity, right? According to his fans he’s Mr. Sunshine.

Well, he’s playing at being president. There’s more to the job than just the title.

(Edited for clarity.)
A choice added to the poll, which might suit your feelings.

By the way, you are not limited to just one choice. Select as many as you feel are appropriate..
[doublepost=1517837002][/doublepost]
He hosts events at the White House almost every day and there are always light moments.

This thread takes the cake when it comes to ‘How can we pile on Donald Trump today?’
Yeah, like the Pocahontas joke about the native American Democrat lawmaker, when he hosted the Cherokee Code Talkers.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Trump jokes, but he's not really funny. His jokes are always mean-spirited put downs.
Yes. I think it's that the guy has no real sense of humor. No time to spare for it, too busy keeping all those compartments in his head air-tight. God forbid he should wake up some morning and find out who he really is. Most of us have self-deprecating moments or can see the humor in situations where we've messed up -- even if it can take quite awhile to get there sometimes. For some reason Trump seems unable to admit to himself at gut level that he's less than perfect; since we all make at least a few minor mistakes every day, the burden of denying them all must have got pretty heavy for a guy in his 70s. So it's less and less funny having to cart all that "I don't even want to know!" baggage around.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Yes. I think it's that the guy has no real sense of humor. No time to spare for it, too busy keeping all those compartments in his head air-tight. God forbid he should wake up some morning and find out who he really is. Most of us have self-deprecating moments or can see the humor in situations where we've messed up -- even if it can take quite awhile to get there sometimes. For some reason Trump seems unable to admit to himself at gut level that he's less than perfect; since we all make at least a few minor mistakes every day, the burden of denying them all must have got pretty heavy for a guy in his 70s. So it's less and less funny having to cart all that "I don't even want to know!" baggage around.
Further - Trump has likely spent the majority of his life getting pity laughs or laughs because he was the "boss." As to not offend. He likely (because of his narcissism) believes he's funny and that people love his sense of humor.

Reactions: LizKat and Micky Do

Micky Do

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
You just don't get it do you? He's of superior genetic stock and like a really smart guy, a genius in fact, who was an excellent student at the best schools.

(Never mind that he graduated from undergrad school with a mere BSc in Economics, without honours..... Guess the Wharton faculty was too dimwitted to recognise, The Donald's towering intellect)

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
I'm sorry, but isn't he more like a psychopath?
However characterized (and neither term is used in the DSM), I think he clearly has some form of antisocial personality disorder. And I was not kidding when I suggested that that is the reason he lacks a sense of humor. From a study published by NIH:

A series of studies have shown that humor is associated with close interpersonal relationships and effective in reducing stress, which in turn enhances empathy. Therefore, it was hypothesized that humor and empathic concern would be positively correlated. The Empathic Concern subscale of the Empathy Questionnaire, the Coping Humor Scale, the Multidimensional Sense of Humor Scale, and the Situational Humor Response Questionnaire were given to 124 subjects. Scores on the Empathic Concern subscale were significantly correlated with those on each of the humor scales. Types of humor may be an important variable in the relationship between empathic concern and humor. Both humor and empathic concern are associated for people with emotional intelligence who use these to interact effectively with other individuals. As such, it was suggested that exploration would yield a relation between humor and emotional self-awareness, which is also associated with emotional intelligence.
Trump lacks emotional intelligence and empathy, which is why he does not appear to have a genuine sense of humor. As I've said many time since the election, no one would believe a work of fiction if it included someone exactly like Donald Trump as president, because no one would believe that a human being that abhorrent could ever be elected president.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

Light moments at the expense of whom? It's like a daily round of let's pin the tail on a donkey only no one is blindfolded and Trump decides who's the donkey du jour. Where no one gets stuck with a pin only means for once he stayed on some script constructed for him, and he's not even good at that. Don't make me fish out the links for Theme Weeks where he managed to step on the week's theme before even finishing the announcement.

The guy is a bully. To note that he's an incompetent bully and our President is not exactly piling on, even if one is given reason by his Highness every day to note those facts anew. The details are often different. Every time the details are different he has belittled some new person, or at the very least as you put it he has "piled on" to some hapless reporter who printed something he didn't like having read, or "piled on" to some long suffering staffer (cabinet chief or clerk!) who must not have kowtowed enough that morning.

And once again if you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen. To feel more comfortable in PRSI you can always go back in the archives for 2008-early 2017 and find threads that rip Obama to shreds for having managed to become President while born in Hawaii... or someplace...