Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you crashed OS X lately?

• Within a month

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Not for a month

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Not for 2 months

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Not for 3 months or more

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Never

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • I don't have OS X

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I have Windows

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ponyboy

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
SLC UT/Italy
OSX has never crashed on me. I have been running it non-stop on my TiBook/500/512mb for three months now without a restart excepting software updates that require one.

I seriously never turn it off it blows all my windows friends away.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
crashes are rare

i, personally, have never crashed os x. apps have crashed but i have never needed to restart the computer after a crash. my dad, on the other hand, has managed to freeze os x by launching 6 or 7 major apps at once (lol!). i think the only problem was with available ram so im hoping to double or triple the ram asap. btw my computer is a 500mhz imac w/ 128mb ram.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I have not crashed OS X since I began running it the beginning of December. I have only had a program or two crash (mainly IE 5.1) or not respond and I just went and forced them to quit and re-opened and went on. I only have 128MB of RAM on my iMac and if you get too many programs open some become a little shaky...but on my iBook with 256MB everything works smooth, even lots of large programs open at the same time. Compared to MacOS9 where I had to re-boot at least twice to three times a week because of a locked up system this is great! Take that M$!

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I was going to choose "Within A Month" BUT it was due to HD failure so I have to say 3+ months because not since I moved to the X.1s

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
My computer has only done like 2 or 3 major crashes where they were like kernal panicks or whatever. But, I haven't had a kernal panick in a long time. I think the minor updates fix them. Sometimes with Classic open it crashes, but besides that, it's perfect!!!

Whenever I'm running OS 9, I feel insecure. I never want to do anything daring because I'm afraid it'll crash on me. With OS X, I can do whatever I want. I've also got 512 MB of ram so that helps so much with applications. I can have as many windows open in IE and it's usually fine.

Mac OS X is so much more stable than XP. My brother has XP, and it crashes and freezes and gives errors and junk all the time. It's a piece of junk.

I could never be without my OS X.

i_am_a_cow

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by ponyboy
OSX has never crashed on me. I have been running it non-stop on my TiBook/500/512mb for three months now without a restart excepting software updates that require one.

I seriously never turn it off it blows all my windows friends away.

Hey be careful, that's how you crash a hard drive!!!:(

-ein kuh

echo

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by kainjow
Mac OS X is so much more stable than XP. My brother has XP, and it crashes and freezes and gives errors and junk all the time. It's a piece of junk.

One person with an unstable XP machine doesn't make XP a piece of junk. A bad driver (written by Apple, Microsoft, or any third party hardware manufacturer) can take down OS X just as as it can XP. That doesn't make the OS itself "a piece of junk".

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
XP is junk..

My college has new Dells (how many Windoze users will admit Dells are 'junk?') running XP and they crash/freeze all the time. I'll leave the room and come back later in the day and find anywhere from 1 to 3 of 30 have crashed just running the screen blankers.. pretty lame. I had the same experience with two PCs here at the house. XP doesn't seem more reliable than 98. PC architecture? I think not. Windows? Sure bet.

As for my experiences with OS X, I haven't had a single kernal panic since installing 10.1.2. The only total freezes I recall involved the previous version of IE 5.1 whereup viewing certain flash sites like Planetoftheapes.com the audio would start rolling and it all locked up hard. Nothing like that has happened since the last IE update (changes to flash plugin?). I'm impressed with 10.1.2, it seems very stable. And like a previous user said, I too feel insecure if I work in OS 9... Since Photoshop runs fine under Classic, I just don't do it. I kissed 9 (and Windows) goodbye last year. :)

pcdoctor

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2002
Well, I work for the education market and we buy Dells.
We get bad ones all the time.
Monitors, motherboards, etc.
We have a batch of Dell Optiplex GX110s that just don't turn on for any reason.
The power supplies just die.
We think we got a bad batch of power supplies.
On some dual processor units, the combo 3.5/cdrom has gone bad twice and the motherboard has been replaced once.
We order so many I guess we would have a large number go bad.
I don't decide what my company buys I repair the pcs.
We have a few macs.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by pcdoctor
We have a few macs.
And how often do you get a "bad Apple"?

Aaah I crack myself up :D But it is a serious question.

Macmaniac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Classic

When ever I enter classic I feal insecure, I can't wait till all new programs are written for OS X. I love OS X, and my iMac has run flawlessly even when I'm printing, listing to music, downloading songs, and typing, all without a care in the world!(I have 512mb insalled)
As for Dells our school is filled with them(Except for our proud Mac lab, and all of the science comps are mac) The Dell's suck out loud. They were made bad and we always have a few disapering for repairs. (Not a single computer in the mac lab has broke)
I wish we would buy iMacs with OS X as the system and have them as every computer in the school!

Not all who wander are lost.

djhack1639

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2002
X rocks

I crashed X last night when I attempted to get a little more speed out of my Beige G3-300 PowerLogix G4 450 with 576ram. I had it at 500mhz at 44c and thought 533 would be worth a try. No dice. Two freezes and one kernel panic later I switched back to 500 without any problems.

Never had a program take the system down. Had games crap out in full screen mode and couldn't get back to the desktop, but that's what TelNet is for.

A buddy was over one night. He is a BSD nut and currently has a box fan mounted to the side if his PeeCee for cooling. I was showing X off for him a bit.

He asked many questions about the *nix underside of X. I had him watch while I used TinkerTool to enable viewing of all files and folders, Killed the Finder, and browsed /bin. Then I launched IE and he couldn't help but blurt out "I want IE 5 on BSD!!"

HaHa my OS is SOOOOO much cooler than yours.

macndn

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2002
New Haven-Connecticut
NEVER,NEVER,NEVER!
I have a G4 SilverBullet733 640ram running 10.1.2 24 hours... no shutdowns... crashed internet expolorer (hey its a microsuck product!) once and illustrator 10 once. had to force quit netscape 6.2 numerous times... i dumped netscape for Opera beta... like how it gets rid of MSN banner b.s. on ESPN!
I dont like classic! If i need photoshop i just reboot in 9.2
Overall i am 101% completely satisfied with 10.1.2 and love to show it to my pc dork friends when they come over, oh the jealousy they have when they see the dock on the left with 25 osx apps and the folders and hardrive in the dock!u gotta love pc dorks when their mouths drop from a genie effect after u "minimize" a window!
OK im straying.. OS 10 forever!

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
I crashed it on my iBook when the 10.1.2 update was released... To make it crash do the following... Start up the Installer, make it start installing (by going through all the steps), then launch itunes, select a song and do full screen visualizations. When the installer finishes you will have a kernel panic. But not to worry, when I reboot I had no probs, no probs at all!

On my Quicksilver I've had no probs...

Since it crashed while updating the system and while managing iTunes, I don't think it would be so fair calling that a crash...

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Originally posted by echo

One person with an unstable XP machine doesn't make XP a piece of junk. A bad driver (written by Apple, Microsoft, or any third party hardware manufacturer) can take down OS X just as as it can XP. That doesn't make the OS itself "a piece of junk".

Fact: XP is junk...
Face reality man!

And your third party exuse can not take down OS X... OS X has apps crash but it can relaunch them flawlessly and you can continue working... The only OS on Peecee's that is stable and I think will be the only M$ OS that will continue to be stable is DOS... Dos has never crashed on me! :cool:

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Which PC OS doesn't crash?

DOS never crashes.. hehe you crack me up man..
Actually I believe that OS 2 was the only 'real' OS on the PC that didn't crash..
Curious: Does Linux have crashing problems? I tried Redhat Linux 6 on my old PC and it crashed a few times.. Then I turned my attention to the Mac.. and didn't look back.

echo

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by dantec
Fact: XP is junk...
Face reality man!

And your third party exuse can not take down OS X... OS X has apps crash but it can relaunch them flawlessly and you can continue working... The only OS on Peecee's that is stable and I think will be the only M$ OS that will continue to be stable is DOS... Dos has never crashed on me! :cool:

Okay. Fine. Will you be my reality guide. Please.

As for third party, I was refering to drivers that run code inside the protected kernel space. And yes, bad drivers can take down OS X. I wasn't talking about applications running at the user level. The same is true for XP and Linux.

pcdoctor

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2002
We have two support teams, one for PCs and the other for macs.
I played with an iMac last week and it did lock up on me.
Since I'm not a mac person they only thing I did was unplug the power cord.

Microsoft_Windows_Hater

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2001
Crashes

I have constant crashes, only over one thing. I put my iBook to sleep when it is connected to the internet and the screen goes blank. I know why, the iBook is continuing to talk to the internet and ignores the shutdown command. That means another restart, quite annoying.

Otherwise it is as solid as anything. In fact, Windows in VPC crashes more...LOL.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by dantec
The only OS on Peecee's that is stable and I think will be the only M$ OS that will continue to be stable is DOS... Dos has never crashed on me! :cool:

Yeah, but the original design for DOS was never made by Microsoft, was it. Does that say anything?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.