Poll: Heaven and Hell

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Mar 29, 2018.

?

Is there a heaven and hell

1. There is both a heaven and hell.

19 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. There is only a heaven.

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. There is only a hell.

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  4. There is neither a heaven or hell.

70 vote(s)
    76.1%
  1. Plutonius, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018

Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

In an interview with Pope Francis (I found it interesting), he seemed to indicate that there was a heaven but no hell.

One of the tenants of the Catholic church was the existence of both heaven and hell so do you think it's a major change for the Catholic Church (the Catholic Church tried to walk back his comments after the interview) ?

What do you believe are the probable outcomes after you die ?

2. ThisBougieLife, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018

ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I've never held much of a belief in an afterlife and the question of whether there is one has little bearing on my day-to-day life. That said, I do grant the possibility of one, but I consider it unlikely that there is any kind of eternal punishment for people who happen to believe the wrong thing and follow the wrong religion (nor do I find the idea of moral behavior motivated by fear of damnation or hope of salvation particularly appealing). The Old Testament has precious little to say about hell; the language of Gehenna and fire came about in the New Testament, perhaps influenced by the Greek view of the afterlife (a single underworld where every soul goes, divided into paradise, punishment, and aimless wandering depending on the merits of your life)--this only being enhanced by the lurid fantasies of Dante.

Catholics themselves believe in purgatory, which has little Biblical support, so a change in dogma is not out of the question (Catholics do not believe that the Bible is the only source of spiritual truth as many Protestants do), but I doubt Francis' statements will have any effect on the official Catholic position on the afterlife. Francis seems to have no shortage of statements that challenge centuries of dogma and this is just the latest (even though I usually end up agreeing with those "wacky" comments of his).

3. samcraig macrumors P6

The fact there's a highway to hell and only a stairway to heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Of course there is both a Heaven and Hell! Have you lot never heard of Black Sabbath: The Dio Years? :p

BL.

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Well said.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Dude.. didn't you know that Heaven is a place on earth? ;)

We can go at this all day! :D :p

BL.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Is there a carrot and a stick to make people behave?

8. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Still people asking these questions in plain 2018? Of course there's hell and heaven and only the chosen ones from the Flying Spaghetti Monster will be there.

9. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

The Bible says only humans have souls so that means none of your pets will be in heaven(or hell)

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That's ********!

My miniature schnauzer and our yellow lab guide dog better be there, otherwise we're raising Hell!

Again, we can do this all day! :D

BL.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That immediately disproves the existence of heaven. You're telling me that my darling dogs aren't in heaven, but some portion of the collective of asshats I'm surrounded by might be?

Nope. That breaks all logic.

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I saw an animated film a while ago that totally disproves this theory.

13. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Express Elevator to Hell. :cool:
    • No stops.
    • No sightseeing.
    • No in transit entertainment.

Did you know there is a Trump Hotel in Heaven? :D

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

There's just people. They do enough to create heaven and hell here in our mortal lives.

15. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

4,200 religions in the world. What's the chances that the one any of us has is the "True religion"?

Just do good, treat each other with respect, be generous and don't worry about the after.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Hell still exists. Until the Pope invokes his powers of Papal Infallibility to will Hell out of existence, it will still be there.:D Norwegians would be pissed if he *poofed* Hell out of existence. It's a nice tourist spot.

17. A.Goldberg, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Despite what my Jewish education told me, personally I think when we die, we die. The end. Just as our consciousness can be temporarily affected or suspended by drugs or trauma- physiological changes, how would it make sense that the mind can survive without the body?

Not a particularly exiciting view, but I guess there is some solice in knowing life will reemerge from my the decomposition of my body... (ignore the rotting flesh part, skip to the flowers and trees and butterflies). Reincarnation is a cool thought, but it doesn’t really make sense (along with every other afterlife idea).

If there is a Heaven, I’d go with the more mainstream Jewish belief. Heaven, plus maybe some sort of “purgatory” (Gehinnom in Judaism). If there is a God and God is benevolent, I think he would eventually forgive all those who have sinned, even the worst.

The Christians seem to talk a lot about “eternal life”. To be honest, I’m not sure I’d want to live forever, even in heaven. It seems like eventually you would get bored.

18. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Which branch did you grow up in? Even the Lubovitch teach that there is no afterlife, which is why you must do mitzvoth while here on earth.

19. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

20. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Jack Gilbert's your man, then... just be in your life to the very hilt until it can be no more and there's an end to the thing. From the January 10, 2005 New Yorker:

poem - Refusing Heaven - Jack Gilbert - New Yorker 2005 Jan 10.jpg

21. 0007776 Suspended

I’m impressed this thread has made it this long without turning into a general bashing religion thread. As far as the main topic the Bible does not support the traditional view of Hell being a place where people are tourtured forever, it just teaches that evil will be destroyed. If you want to call that process of it being destroyed hell then yes it is a real place, otherwise no. As for Heaven yes, it is real.

assuming your 4,200 Number is correct then the chances would be 1 out of 4,200.

22. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

The First Cleric certainly hoped so.

Would be hilarious if we are actually in some simulation of an experimental universe.

23. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

I've never really been the religious type. As a snotty teenager, and for a while after that that I'm not that proud of, I was the exact opposite. At least it seemed like that at the time, but now I can see that it was the same type of zealotry I abhored in others, just flipped. If that makes sense.

Anyway, still not religious, not by a long shot, but much more mellow in how I conduct myself when confronted with the subject of belief, what it means to individual people, how I shape my world view and so forth. Having said that, I strongly think that, while the body dies, there's some leftover energy that's still around after a person dies. But even more importantly, we live on the minds of those whose lives we have impacted during our time here. Which is more than I could ever hope to do.

This all obviously means, that after I'm gone and all of my loved ones are gone that's it. I'll never get to see them again, and obviously that on occasion makes me sad but is something I have to deal with. Which is why I try to make an effort to spend time with the ones closest to me every chance I get.

EDIT: For the record, I chose the fourth option on the poll.