Poll: How do _you_ rate Obama's performance in office?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, May 25, 2017.

?

What do _you_ think of Obama's performance in office?

1. Excellent

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Above Average

31 vote(s)
    44.9%
  3. Average

13 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Below Average

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Terrible

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, after looking at another poll that was just an attempt by one MacRumors member to trash the memory of Obama, I got to wondering; just how do folks here actually rate Obama's term in office? And, since I've never tried to create a poll before, well, why not? (Apologies if I mess up anything. ;) )

So I'm just going to ask for your overall view of how he did. Choose whatever yardsticks you personally feel comfortable with, and compare him against other past American presidents.

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I voted Average. Domestically, I'd give him a B+. I should note - that's important. Internationally, I give him a C+. He did do a bunch of good things, perhaps partially by his charisma...but the continuation of wars and drone strikes - demerit points. I will say, I at least always felt he was intelligent and knew what he was doing...

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'd say average, his inexperience cost him a lot at the beginning when he had strong Democratic majorities in Congress. He did good things domestically, and restored our standing with the rest of the world, but he did continue a lot of pointless wars. Once we got Bin Laden we should have called it good and pulled out of Afghanistan, and we had no business interfering in the Arab spring.

I think if he had stayed in the Senate a bit longer to get more experience he would have made a much better president in 2012 or 2016 depending on who won the 2008 election.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'd put him on par with Bush so I said average.

6. fedup flyer, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

bombed more countries than Bush and signed indefinite detention w/o trial into law, terrible compared to bush.

8. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

9. darksithpro macrumors regular

I don't really care for Obama per-se, but I think he had a lot on his plate when he got elected. President Bush had gotten us into two wars, Afghanistan and Iraq with trillions of dollars lost/spent, and thousands of our soldiers dead; then the housing bubble had burst, Freddie and Fannie went poof. Our economy in shambles with toxic debt and loans by the toxic creditors from the banks. I personally think Obama was in the era of economic recession and now Trump can capitalize on real numbers due to the recovery we have made today.

10. jerwin macrumors 65816

I'd give him a B, maybe a B+.

Speaking of legacies:
    https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2420

It would hardly be fair to judge a president with just a few days on the clock, thus the omission from the second question.

11. niploteksi macrumors regular

Watching Obama get voted in was surreal. I still can't believe he's an American.

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I seriously hope you are kidding.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This is a ****ing joke, right?

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Criminal, just like bush before him

15. niploteksi macrumors regular

Usually the American presidents are morons, so no I'm not kidding.

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Ah, I see where you are coming from now. Got it. ;)

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Above average for sure. But I'm only going off stats and his ability as a orator and his class and his humour and how the rest of the world viewed him in improving our opinion of the US.

18. zin macrumors 6502

Foreign policy - F
    Trade - F
    Domestic - Can't comment/ F (illegal spying, going after journalists, supporting Crooked, etc.)

Personality/marketing - A*

19. samcraig macrumors P6

Wow. That's pretty low for someone who was President for two terms and, if nothing else, saw the economy recover and thrive from some very dark days. I didn't love everything Obama did - but I don't think he deserves and "F" in anything.

20. zin macrumors 6502

'Thrive' is an interesting verb to describe the slowest recovery since just after World War II.

I think there were many individual actions he took that were good, but the thread is about Obama's overall job performance.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Average, we've been on the same corporate sponsored path since Carter.

22. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

And yet, we are talking recovery, not recession or depression or stagflation. Surely, he's got an advantage there over quite a few of his predecessors, right?

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Obama is tough for me. I like that he got much needed healthcare reform moving, but I wasn't a fan of how it was approved and the final product was a mess and is facing major issues. (C)

While he did inspire people, I think race relations went backwards under his watch. When all that BLM stuff was happening I wish Obama took a more active role in smoothing over the situation. (D)

In terms of the Middle East, what a disaster- particularly underestimating the rise and impact of ISIS- granted Bush equally has some responsibility there if you look back far enough. Obama's actions, or inaction, has severely affected that part of the world. (F)

I believe he did positively impact the economy during the recession, to what degree is somewhat debatable. But I commend him for turning things around and setting us in the right direction. (B+)

24. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Only one even close to as bad was Jimmy Carter...at least as far as presidents I have lived through.

25. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

It's very silly to judge a president by the sum of all their accomplishments and mistakes. To me, the simple question is, are we as a society better off in 2016/17 than we were in 2008/09? Overall, I would say we are. Though, I think time will tell.

The biggest mistake, I think, that Obama made was approving all the spying and patriot act stuff that was initiated by his predecessor. Before it was a one-party one-president thing, but now it's a bi-partisan two-president thing, and those are much much harder to get rid of.

The biggest accomplishments, I think, that Obama made were steering the country out of the way of an impending healthcare cost crisis (ACA haters will disagree, but it would have been way worse without it), and bringing down unemployment and stabilizing the economy. Again, some will complain he didn't do enough, and I'm sure Obama might even agree with that sentiment, but there is no doubt it took skill and great leadership to do.