POLL: How many iPad 1 owners are upgrading/have upgraded to iPad 2 and why?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by netdog, Mar 25, 2011.

?

Did you upgrade?

1. Upgraded and love my new iPad 2. Very happy.

74 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. Upgraded and don't really find a difference. Meh.

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Planning to upgrade

21 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. Didn't upgrade after having checked out the iPad 2

29 vote(s)
    20.7%
  5. Haven't upgraded but haven't checked out the iPad 2 either

10 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Here I was justifying upgrading to the iPad 2 with 3G and relegating my iPad 1 to a life around the house as a media browser and remote control for the house-wide iTunes sound and video system.

But then I got to thinking that it would probably just be smarter to go down to Three and get myself a PAYG MiFi that will service any device I've got for a very reasonable cost.

For those who have upgraded from an iPad 1 to an iPad 2, was it worth it? Is the iPad 2 a much bette user experience for you?

For those how didn't upgrade, are you happy that you didn't? Have you played with an iPad 2?

2. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Love my 2. Gave the other to my s.o. and haven't looked back. The 2 is maybe what the 1 could've (should've) been.

The reason I upgraded? Apple nut. :) I've stopped trying convince myself that I have any self control when it comes to Apple stuff. Will probably just end up buying

3. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I upgraded because a couple of months ago, I decided that I really wanted 3G. I ordered on launch day because I felt that the upgrade was worth the $100 extra after the iPad1 price cuts... However, since that time prices have been cut again and now you can get the 64GB 3G from AT&T for 529!!

I decided to keep my iPad 2 order in and just received it yesterday. I don't think it is really worth the $300 difference but it is noticeably faster. I should save the money and return this and get the 529 one from AT&T but I won't. The extra features are cool. I wish I wasn't so impulsive lol.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Never a doubt on when or if I would update. Where is the iPhone 5?:p

5. 482214 macrumors 6502

If you're writing this thread then you want an ipad 2...

If you can afford it buy it.

If you can't afford it then save up and keep quiet.

6. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Likin my ipad2 quite a bit, but not lovin it like I thought I would. Apple still has some glaring holes to fill, especially in terms of iOS. iPad2 is a nice upgrade, much faster and the size is awesome, I just can't wait till iOS5.

7. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I am loving this, I got the White 64GB 3G, after lining up for about an hour, I was glad I didn't put it off getting to my local store (Charlestown NSW).

I also got the Red Leather smart cover, it is gorgeous, and suits the iPad so nicely.

8. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Keep quiet? Why?

9. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

lmao! Glad I am not the only one! Although I thought having the built in ca,era would sbe nice for Skype with the kids if I am not home, it wasn't my reason.. I just have NO self control with Apple products..

10. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Will upgrade because I have the cash, use iPad 1 every day, will feel the increased speed and the one-handed holdability. Like you am thinking of 3G for always-connected convenience, though I get on fine with a MiFi most of the time right now.

11. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Holding off a little to see how the light leakage sorts out. Pretty happy with my iPad 1, but have looked at the 2. It is tempting . . .

12. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Upgraded. Got it via US online store on launch hour.

Couldn't be happier with the 2. Makes the old one feel like an ugly, heavy dinosaur in comparison.

Got the new model and sold off the old one in January for nearly retail value. Did it because I'm a sucker for new products, and because the new form factor was too damn good to give up. If the iPad 2 had the same design as the original iPad and a speed bump, I probably wouldn't have bit. The design was THAT big a deal to me.

13. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

iPad 2 is about a million times better than I was expecting it to be. I was expecting an iPad 1 in white. It's not, it's a completely new device. I know on paper it looks really similar. Go and use one for a day, then go back to iPad 1. Then you'll understand just how much of a big change there is.

Before I used iPad2 I could quite happily recommend and iPad 1. Now though, I don't think I can.

14. auero macrumors 65816

With all the issues I had with the iPad 2 (screen, scratches, chips, etc...) I went back and bought a 64GB first gen 3G from AT&T for $529. Couldn't be happier.

It's only my preference but the cameras were too grainy for me and kind of useless. I actually prefered the styling of the first gen over the new one as well. Thinner and lighter is nice don't get me wrong but it's not a deal breaker.

I did hate to give up the speed but it's not much enough for me to notice it. Overall I'm happy. The iPad 2 just wasn't for me.

15. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I have checked out the new iPad but I didn't upgrade. Think I'll look into buying the third though or possibly the fourth depending what the next ones like.

16. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Upgraded and well worth it!

This iPad 2 is easier to hold and much lighter - I'm very happy!

17. misterc macrumors member

Why Not?

The iPad is an awesome device and the iPad 2 is that much better. Upgrade, you wont be disappointed.

Please donate to a great cause www.reddogfund.org

18. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

I sold my iPad 1 and used the funds from that to get the iPad 2. My main reason for getting it was the ability to FaceTime with friends & family. Overall I'd say I don't regret upgrading.

19. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

Nope I like my ipad 1st gen. The ipad 2 has had too many problems from what I see on the forum. I do like the fact that the ipad 2 is slightly thinner. I can't wait to see what ipad 3 looks like:p

20. bluebermuda macrumors regular

bluebermuda

I sold my iPad 1 64GB 3G for $800.00 to some patsy on eBay one month prior to the release of the iPad 2.

In addition, the iPad 2 is essentially free if you are smart. Simply purchase 3, flip 2 for a profit and the third iPad 3 is free.

21. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Bought the iPad 2 to reclaim the iPad 1 from my wife :) My wife loves the new one.

22. panzer06, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I have the wifi iPad 1 and intended to upgrade to the 3G iPad 2 3G, however that $529 64gb 3G iPad 1 deal from AT&T was too good to pass up. I'll pass on iPad 2. $829 is just too much when I can do most everything I need with this one. You're right that $300 is too much.

I'll wait for iPad 3 before considering an upgrade.

Cheers,

23. macDrewd macrumors newbie

Ordered my iPad 2 but it's going to be a long wait. To be exact, 4th May before I get my White iPad 2, 64 GB with 3G.

Main reasons for upgrading were, that 1. Wife wants my iPad 1 and 2. Can't resist my iToys :cool:

24. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

I am going to buy the 3, the 4, the 5, the 6, the 7, the 8, the 9...You get the picture.

Personally I never buy a first release of anything Apple makes, and quite honestly you could argue that even the second gen is too early. But I love my iPad2, even it could have been better. Great device, complete game changer.

25. Mrrikki macrumors regular

I upgraded for the simple reasons that it is thinner, lighter, faster and comes in white.