Poll: How many of you think the leaked iPhone pics were real?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Jun 23, 2012.

?

Do you think that the leaked iPhone 5 pics were the real deal?

1. Yes, I am convinced that the iPhone 5 will infact be the longPhone.

79 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. No, the longPhone was a plant. Apple will come out with a totally new iPhone 5 design.

81 vote(s)
    50.6%
  1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

We all saw these leaked pictures. But how convinced are you that come October, this will infact turn out to be the real iPhone 5? If this turns out to be the real one, will you disappointed or do you think the design will grow on you?

[​IMG]

2. applefanDrew, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I do.

The 16:9 1136 X 640 screen will be the easiest way to make a bigger screen work with the current ecosystem. All the math of that resolution adds up too. It's happening.

3. matttye macrumors 601

Seems to match the pics in today's sun...

[​IMG]

(borrowed from this thread)

Could be some truth to it. It's when the rumours all coincide with each other that they're usually onto something.

4. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Wheres the option for "No, the iPhone will retain its current size and form factor"? Because that is whats going to happen.

5. tpr007 macrumors regular

tpr007

It'll save me some money if this happens as It means I'll stick with the 4s!

6. Siggen macrumors 6502

Its not impossible, however it is unlikely. Reasons;

• Apple has always renewed the design every other turn or more often.
    • People has been unhappy with the back glass, even though the majority likes the look.
    • even though the most people likes the looks, it is outdated (and thats just becasue).
    • It has been rumored that Apple will update the looks of all products, by sales analysts.
    • The iPhone has really bad battery, one easy way to boost the battery is to make the phone bigger.
    • API's for relative screen resolutions has been added.
    • People are more acustomed to bigger phones now, and you have a significant amount of Apple users buying 4" phones.
    • Apple has patents now for interchangable lenses, I doubt that this comes in the next release, but its not stupid of them to acomidate this release to not be to different from an iPhone that might use this patent.
    • The next iPhone will probably have a better camera, BUT its likley they will still retain 8MP, and a lot of people will think it has not been upgraded (or not much). Making changes elsware to acomidate for lower expectations of camera.
    • Trends are going for slimmer phones.
    • Its cheaper to make bigger screens now, Apple does not have a finantial problem with upsizing the screen.
    • Laws in lots of contries have passed to require microUSB charging. Apple runs on loopholes. Its not extremely improbably to just use microUSB, but still unlikley. (This is just a very minor point)
    • The designers have a longer leash now that Steve Jobs is dead. They want to design, without new designs, they dont have a job.

If people want to discuss this, either for or against. Then please, discuss, don't. argue.

7. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I really think the 4 inch screen comes down to the math. A 16:9 4 inch screen is 1138 X 640. The rumored resolution is 1136 X 640. A 2 pixel difference is close enough that I'm sure Apple will call it 16:9. Take the fact that a row of home screen icons is 176 pixels tall. 960 (current height resolution) + 176 = 1136. Do Pythagorus on 1136 X 640 and you get a ~4.01 inch diagonal. Combine all that with the leaked parts and I think it's obvious the parts we've seen are it.

They go with a metal back while keeping the antennae band. They have to keep the glass strips on top and bottom to avoid attenuation when being held. Shrinking inner parts along with a shrunken 19 pin connector allows for more from for a battery to offset an LTE radio and bigger screen.

8. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

People were swearing the 4 and 4s would have bigger screens too and what happened? Apple clearly has no interest in making a bigger screen. If they had, they would have done it by now.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am undecided... I think they could be real, but not convinced. What's with the loaded polls lately?

10. Siggen macrumors 6502

Your points are good, but its still not guaranteed. I think its very likely that the leaked parts are real. But I wont be surprised if they are not, or if they are a scrapped design.

I do how ever think it as approaching impossible for them to keep the same look as iP4 and iP4S.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I don't think anyone can say this with any degree of certainty (except maybe lead designers/engineers at Apple). Anyway, certainly not you or I...

12. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

One fact is certain to be revealed, only Apple knows. They're getting awfully conservative in their old age.

My guess, based on Apple & their followers obsession with small phones, I'd be surprised if it's display is comparable in size & usefulness to the modern smartphone. That said, for light Internet use I'm sure it will be just fine. Besides it really doesn't matter, they'll sell all they can build anyway.

13. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Huh? Apple doesn't even make their own screens. So all their engineers and designers would have to do is make the internals fit in a larger space. If they can't figure that out, they are in much worse shape than we thought.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You stated that Apple clearly has no interest in giving us a bigger screen. I responded with "you don't know that". Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that they haven't already given us a bigger screen is hardly evidence of a lack of interest in doing so.

15. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

Those pictures were inconsistent as others had weird fonts. Probably some chinese fakes of iPhones that are coming, which also explains the front panel. I don't really think it's possible that tim cook said they have one size and ratio, and violate both straight up in one release. In fact, I think he was subliminally dismissing the claims. I call hoax on these.

16. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I would think they are not real. I could be wrong though.

17. HKPDW macrumors member

I believe the parts image leak is an accurate representation of the real deal (only because the parts image leak occured on the same day as the S3 making its world debut).

Seems someone :apple: was trying to steal someone else's thunder (and did a pretty good "job" of it).

18. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

This thread goes to show that I was right about how crappy longPhone would be.

19. Jarson macrumors regular

Jarson

I'm pretty sure leaked parts are real ones. Before we were witnesses of many other leaks (iPhone 4, new iPad) and especially that now we have confirmation of reliability from many websites. Some design sheets, 3d mockups - all of this around one design. It must be true.

20. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Here's my take:

iPhone 2G
    iPhone 3G (Close design as the 2G)
    iPhone 3GS (Same design as 3G)
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S (Same design as 4)

If they follow their lineup, the new iPhone is pretty possible to be a new one (and I hope it actually happens) :)

21. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I hope they're not real, because I consider the design a waste of time and an insult to Apple's talent pool. Stretching the screen only vertically is rediculous and keeping the same square 2 year old design? Why even bother? And that stretched screen will do virtually nothing to improve the users experience.

22. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Fake simple as that. IMHO.

Controlled leak, slight of the hand wow factor.

23. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

I think it's real, Too many leaked sources. But i'm not happy with the design, Still looks like the 4/4s just longer. This year i'm seriously thinking more about maybe getting a windows phone instead of the iphone. We'll see I guess.

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I don't know. No one outside of apple really knows the truth..

25. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

apple will come up with a total redesign of the iPhone i am sure and let's hope for a bigger and WIDER screen not only taller -.-