Poll: How Many Use Oem As To Retail Versions Of Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ildondeigiocchi, Jan 6, 2010.

1. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Just a quick poll to see how many of you's are using OEM versions of Windows over Retail ones on your Macs. When I say Windows I mean XP, Vista and 7. :D

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Someone posted earlier that OEM violates microsoft's Eula for OEM / system builder software. They implied we can't use such versions on our macs.

Cheers,

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I've previously used Vista OEM on my MacBook, but I all of my Windows 7 licenses are retail and I do not recommend OEM anymore.

Probably me, but I think you misinterpret what I have consistently said.

Microsoft doesn't license OEM to end-users, and has recently (Since Vista SP1) made efforts to clarify that language in the System Builder's License, but that doesn't mean it can't technically/physically be used. http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?PageID=563841

I've recently made an effort in this forum to make sure that folks who choose to use OEM do so with the knowledge that such use is beyond the scope of the license under which it is sold.

If being properly licensed matters to you, get the retail version, if not go ahead and get the OEM. Just don't fool yourself into thinking you are properly licensed if you, as an end-user, opt to use OEM.

Here are some blog posts by Windows evangelists around this topic
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1561
    http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/oem.asp

B

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have two retail licenses that I got dirt cheap ages ago. I only use OEM at home now though.

6. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Microsoft should at least be happy we're buying their OS.:p The problem with MS is that there's always been TOO many versions of an OS to choose from and thus most users are confused with which version would best suit their needs. Apple makes it much easier. One OS version and that's all. Probably one of the reasons I made the switch 2 years ago! :D

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed,
    OEM, retail, corporate, home premium, professional, ultimate.

8. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

That certainly is not true for Germany and probably other European countries as well, where courts have decided that this business model of Microsoft was illegal. Since then, every end user can purchase Systembuilder/OEM licenses of Microsoft products and install them on any computer. Furthermore, those licenses can also legally be resold and transferred to other computers.

For german speakers, here is the ruling:

http://www.jurpc.de/rechtspr/20000220.htm

The only difference between OEM and retail versions are the included support from Microsoft and that the retail version has 32-Bit and 64-Bit installation media while the OEM version only has one DVD (but the other can be obtained directly from Microsoft for ~20 Euros handling fee).

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

IANAL and my German is admittedly very rusty, but I'm really not sure this 10 year old ruling is really as broad as you think it is. Regardless of what is going on in practice today.

It used to be that OEM sales, even of unused product, had to be accompanied with hardware per the license. This meant that places like NewEgg sold you a power cable with the OEM license so you could have that be the hardware the license was tied to. (This was because the license was vague as to the definition of "hardware," it just had to be essential to the function of the machine hence the power cable.).

Microsoft has revised their licenses at least twice since 2000.

EDIT: Before the last revision, it seemed like many of the restrictions on use of the OEM version kicked in only upon resale of the system, and thus home use was fine, because system integration only took place upon resale. /EDIT

The current System Builder's license does not require sale of unused copies to be accompanied with hardware. However, it requires that use of the license is contingent on the system builder integrating the OEM software with a system and reselling the system to a non-related third party.

At least in the US these new licenses would have to be ruled on separately in order to be ignored. The language in the license and the business practice have changed so the ruling no longer applies.

There is another significant difference, in the US at least, OEM product keys do not let you perform an in-place upgrade from a previous install, only clean installs.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. Use OEM if you choose to, but it is far from black and white.

B

10. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Is it the same in Canada... i.e. is Microsoft's OEM EULA also valid in Canada or is it not valid like in Germany.

11. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

i havent bought a standalone copy of windows (always came preinstalled) but i would probably buy the oem if im building a computer.

12. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

By the looks of the poll, more people seem to be running OEM than Retail... but it's not fair to call that yet! We'll wait a bit more. Let's hope more ppl vote! :D

13. mslide macrumors 6502a

Of course more people are going to run OEM. A) it's a heck of a lot cheaper, B) the people who read these types of forums don't need MS support, C) most people couldn't care less about what the EULA states. as long as it will activate, they are happy. D) the MS police aren't exactly going to come knocking if you choose to use an OEM copy in a way they don't feel appropriate. heck, they will usually let you reactivate a previously activated OEM copy on completely different hardware if you are polite when you call them up (assuming that you don't use it on the previous hardware anymore and only use it on a single machine).

14. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

All my retail editions are free from MSDN AA, but I suppose I pay for that when I attend college.
    I do have some OEM versions though too. I have never paid directly for either though.

15. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Lucky you! :)

16. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Many of the stores that I go to that sell OEM copies will only do so if you buy a qualifying hardware upgrade to go with it. According to the licensing they can do this if they sell hardware with the OEM copy. The hardware that I have seen has been motherboards, CPU's, or (maybe only for XP) HD's and Memory. So if you're upgrading any part of your system, you can qualify for the OEM license and not be violating the EULA.

17. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

I agree.

I bought a retail version when I made the switch a year and a half ago (and haven't looked back), thinking I'd still use it a lot since that's what I'm used to; but I must say that if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have wasted my money. I have yet to find anything that the Mac OS can't do but Windows can, or that Windows does better. I so rarely use the Windows partition - I usually just boot it to keep XP current on the updates (which they have like 6 a day!)

So yeah, retail here.

18. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I also have a retail version of XP but that was bought 2 years ago when I purchased my 2008 Mac Pro. But after paying 319$ CAD for it, I swore I'd never buy another Retail version again. The included MS support was terrible. So such for having to pay extra money for it.

19. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Ooh the Poll is at 50 to 50... seems it's a close race.