Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the S4 worth burning an upgrade if you've got the S3?

• Yes

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 63.0%

• Total voters

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Just what the title says. I've currently got the S3 (that I love) and I'm coming up on my upgrade eligibility date, so I'm trying to decide if the S4 is worth burning an upgrade for. What say you? :D

I'm going to start by only including 2 options...yes and no...but feel free to expound on your reasoning for either by posting below. If anyone feels this poll could use some other options, let me know and I'll add them.

Thank you.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Just what the title says. I've currently got the S3 (that I love) and I'm coming up on my upgrade eligibility date, so I'm trying to decide if the S4 is worth burning an upgrade for. What say you? :D

I'm going to start by only including 2 options...yes and no...but feel free to expound on your reasoning for either by posting below. If anyone feels this poll could use some other options, let me know and I'll add them.

Thank you.

As someone who has had the S3 in the past, I am not the least bit tempted by the GS4, as I don't see it having enough significant differences that would make the experience much different than I had on the S3.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
I would wait for the Note 3 at IFA (expected there, at least) in September. Even if it's too big for you, wait to see what Samsung is able to do. I expect some type of new design...

Another reason to wait is to see what Google/Motorola brings to the table as well. Nexus 5/Motorola X could be something great...

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If it was me, I don't see the S4 being such a significant improvement to warrant upgrading. I felt the that way about my iPhone 4 when the iPhone 5 came out.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Remember that many of the new software features will be included in the S3 at somepoint... that being said if you have an S3 and are happy with it I don't see why you'd spend the money for a device that is only an evolutionary upgrade.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
For me it's worth it.

Bigger screen with higher resolution in a slightly smaller frame than the S3 and infra red blaster is something I want. Also using the S4 for simple things with gloves would mean a lot for me as I ride my motorbike frequently.

Might not seem like much, but I can still sell my mint garnet red S3 for $300+. I'm not interested in the Note 3 as it will most likely be too big for my taste. If I stick with the S3, 9 to 12 months from now it will only be about $150 to $200. I'm better off selling it now for around $300 and getting the S4, then 9 to 12 months later I can sell the S4 for a good price(probably more than what the S3 is going for now).

I bought my mom a Note 2 off contract last x-mas. I'm going to use her upgrade this round(cause I'm not upgrade ready yet) to get the S4, then use my upgrade next time.

gaiao

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
I don't think so. I had the chance to test one at Best buy, and comparing with my S3, there is not much difference... Its just a small upgrade with lots of bloatware IMO...

appletoandroid

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
If it was me, I don't see the S4 being such a significant improvement to warrant upgrading. I felt the that way about my iPhone 4 when the iPhone 5 came out.

I voted yes. The GS4 is a bigger upgrade than the 5 was. The 5 only moved in one dimension, and the GS4 captures actually more content by increasing in both.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I voted yes. The GS4 is a bigger upgrade than the 5 was. The 5 only moved in one dimension, and the GS4 captures actually more content by increasing in both.

What does the OP's question have to do with the 5 at all? I fail to see how that has anything to do with what he asked. :confused:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The Pro Apple press would have one think otherwise, as they've gone out of their way to pronounce some of the S4 features as "gimmicks" a word they would never associate with Apple for any reason, even if true. Personally I do find some of the new changes in the S4 a bit gimmicky and do not hesitate to say it. No different than how I feel about Siri.

There's an underlying current of Samsung hating / Apple loving dialog, in the various "reviews" that is so bias it's not funny.

Of great importance is for me to post my usual Disclaimer: "I am NOT advocating for either company". If you've read a reasonable number of my other posts, you know I use and enjoy both iOS and Android, each for their strengths and variety compared to the others. I happen to be very passionate and involved in Apple products, year after year for far longer than most that only came on board with the advent of the iPod, iPhone, then iPad.

That said, I always enjoy a good _discussion_... not to be confused with some of the vague and irrational bashing of Android or any other competitor that goes on here, out of nothing more than negative hatred.

If one is serious, they don't "burn" an upgrade for any phone. They _use_ their upgrade wisely. So if the OP is unsure, the best solution is to stay put, use what you have until Apple comes out with a new model. Otherwise it will be burning an upgrade, only to return on MacRumors to explain just how bad the phone you bought performed, even though you were biased against it from the beginning.

Nothing beats resisting an impulse purchase, doing some research, and thinking before you order. Then once you've taken delivery, spending some time and effort to learn how to use it appropriately, not just trying out the obvious functions.

If more took this approach, no matter what brand was chosen, there would be far fewer disappointed buyers.

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
If you have an upgrade ready, you are essentially wasting money not using it.

Buy the S4 or whatever will net the best profit and sell it brand new. Now you've got the money on hand and your next upgrade on its way. If another phone strikes ur fancy, use the cash u made on the S4.

I voted No btw

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Guys, this is great feedback! I really appreciate all the responses. Keep them coming, as this may help someone else that's on the fence.

maxosx, wonderful post! You really made some great points that made me think. To be clear, I've been using Android since my S2 (with 5-7 other Android phones in there), so I know my way around the platform pretty darn well. But hearing opinions is exactly what I wanted and you came out with your guns blazing.

I'm now seriously thinking of just sitting on my upgrade for the next few months. My S3 is great and I can always flash some AOSP goodness if I need a change. And I've got my iPhone 5 to fall back on when I get bored. Plus, this LGOG I picked up on the cheap has really surprised me with how underrated it is.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
From what I've heard the Optimus G is the best Android phone that most people haven't heard about. What did you pay for it?

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
From what I've heard the Optimus G is the best Android phone that most people haven't heard about. What did you pay for it?

I got it for $275. Believe me, it's completely worth it. It's a solid device, really fast, and the camera is better than reviews give it credit for. I'm very happy with it.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I got it for $275. Believe me, it's completely worth it. It's a solid device, really fast, and the camera is better than reviews give it credit for. I'm very happy with it.

After reading your post I added a few eBay auctions to my watch list. I've been wanting to try it out for awhile. Do you know if it'll recognize a 64gb micro sd card?

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Yep, it does. I'm using one in mine right now.

Awesome thanks for the info. Also I voted no on the poll. I had this discussion with my brother today at lunch. If I was in your position I would wait and see what Samsung does with the Note 3 or I would preorder the next iPhone and sell it at an absurd profit and use that money on a phone that caught my eye later.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
sell the gs3 for 350-400 on craigslist and use the upgrade,the note 3 or any other flagship wont be out for months and the gs3 will lose value as the weeks pass.

You wont be able to buy a note 3 for at least 5-7 months and that's the problem with android as every 6-7 months there will be newer phones out but if you can get an octo version a15 powered gs4 you will be set for a while

the octo gs4 is a whole generation ahead of everyone in cpu arch and not even the snapdragon 800 that is not due out till winter is a true a15 soc like the octo gs4

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Awesome thanks for the info. Also I voted no on the poll. I had this discussion with my brother today at lunch. If I was in your position I would wait and see what Samsung does with the Note 3 or I would preorder the next iPhone and sell it at an absurd profit and use that money on a phone that caught my eye later.

No problem! Glad I could help.

I believe I'm going to do exactly what you suggested and wait a while. In fact, the idea of waiting for the next iPhone and using the upgrade on it then selling it at a large profit is exactly what I'm thinking about doing. I've already got the 5 so my iOS needs are covered. Plus, the OG is really fitting the bill right now, so I'm not as tempted by the S4.

sell the gs3 for 350-400 on craigslist and use the upgrade,the note 3 or any other flagship wont be out for months and the gs3 will lose value as the weeks pass.

You wont be able to buy a note 3 for at least 5-7 months and that's the problem with android as every 6-7 months there will be newer phones out but if you can get an octo version a15 powered gs4 you will be set for a while

the octo gs4 is a whole generation ahead of everyone in cpu arch and not even the snapdragon 800 that is not due out till winter is a true a15 soc like the octo gs4

Yeah, I think I'm going to go ahead and list the S3 in the next few days. Like I said, the OG is holding me over nicely, so it's not that big of a deal to go ahead and let the S3 go. I'll probably just hang on to the upgrade for now (although I do feel like I'm wasting it a little bit), but there's really nothing out there right now that's causing me to want to use it.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Personally I do find some of the new changes in the S4 a bit gimmicky and do not hesitate to say it. No different than how I feel about Siri.

See, it's always about how a consumer uses these features. For me I found Siri to be quite awesome and incredibly useful, MUCH more so than the atrocity that is Google now, or S-voice, etc. Siri actually helped me with typical functions that someone using a phone might need.

A lot of the S4 features to ME are gimmicks, I can flick the screen up and down with a finger much more efficiently than using my eyes, and that's even if the S4 didn't keep losing my eyes which is what it seems to do in the video reviews I've seen. I do think it might be good for web browsing while driving on the highway though ;) (just kidding there!). But the S4 does, of course, have non gimmick improvements you can't argue with, screen resolution, hardware, camera, etc. and if those are important to you then yes it's worth it over the S3. For me I just sell my phone every year and get the newer one, I'm committed to spending the couple hundred dollar difference once a year.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Do you use a contract or are you off contract?

I use a contract pricing and I always sell or trade in my phones to pay for my newer phones. It is the only reason why I say upgrading earlier is better because the resell value of your phone goes down quicker when a new phone is released.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Do you use a contract or are you off contract?

I use a contract pricing and I always sell or trade in my phones to pay for my newer phones. It is the only reason why I say upgrading earlier is better because the resell value of your phone goes down quicker when a new phone is released.

This would be using a contract upgrade, although I think I've decided to just wait it out since my Optimus G is filling the void nicely. Then again, knowing me, I'll change my mind tomorrow. :D

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
See, it's always about how a consumer uses these features. For me I found Siri to be quite awesome and incredibly useful, MUCH more so than the atrocity that is Google now, or S-voice, etc. Siri actually helped me with typical functions that someone using a phone might need.
However you'll notice I didn't bash Siri, I simply said it was a gimmick from my perspective. Nor did I advocate for Google Now, as I have no interest in either of those two.

For you to like one over the other, but fail to say why Google Now is an atrocity, is proof that you have no specific problems with it, or you've never used it.

Had you said you like this and that about Siri, as opposed to whatever it is that Google Now fails to do for you, then your credibility as a commentator would have been solid.

That's why so many fights break out, people just bash products without talking about the specifics. Thus it's very suspicious.

Someone like myself that has both can talk about the pros and cons, would enjoy an intelligent conversation, but is turned off by juvenile mud slinging. That comment is NOT directed at you, but rather at the group of people that have no clue what it means to have a discussion as opposed to throwing a tantrum.

I just have no use for "talking" to any phone. Nor do I want one talking to me. Simple. :D

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
If all the iPhone boys here can justify going from the 4 -> 4S or 5 -> 5S, then the S3 to S4 is worth an upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.