[Poll] Once you have an iPhone X in hand, do you plan to show it off?

What kind of mentality do you have surrounding networking with others when you have the iPhone X?

• Proudly use phone in public, tell people you have iPhone X, show it off to others

Votes: 37 23.0%
  • Show off only to family, hide as much as possible from public sight.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Show off only to family closest friends, hide as much as possible from public sight.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Hide the phone from public sight as much as possible.

Votes: 21 13.0%
  • [Bad Choice] Me? I will be the one who tries to steal an iPhone X if I had the opportunity.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Just going to use it normally as a phone. People see it, people see it.

Votes: 81 50.3%

• Total voters

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Just checking on the mentality of people who are buying the iPhone X. Given the limited release, chances are it's going to be a high demand for a while, a long while. There might be a lot of theft going on and crime related to the release of this phone. What do you think of when you get that iPhone X in hand when it comes to networking with others?

Assume for all options you "Use it as a phone cause it is a phone." (except for the bad choice, which assumes you don't plan to have an iPhone X because of cost, availability, or any other reasons)

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
Where’s the option, I don’t buy a phone to show off I buy it because I want it and couldn’t care less what others think? It’s not about showing off at all. Whether you have an iPhone X or an iPhone 5C it doesn’t make you any better of a person! Just my 2 pennies worth.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Will be business as normal for me.

If someone is sharp enough to notice and ask about it we will converse, otherwise I'll just mind my own business.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'm taping mine to my forehead and going to walk around underprivileged areas and show 'em who's the boss.
I'm going to buy 50, put them in a big bag and have myself a good ol' fashioned sack-beating day.

Though that wasn't an option on the poll, so I didn't vote.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Totally! I got a great lanyard to attach it to and will be wearing it around my neck (Apple logo facing out, DUH), and I pulled U.S. Census reports for my city to see what areas have lower income residents - that way I'll know where exactly to go to walk around aimlessly and impress the peasants with my phone.

Reactions: AppleZombie

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
I plan on zip locking it, wearing gloves when I takes it out of the bag. I am hoping Apple comes out with iphone specific telephone booths so I can I take my X out in private. You know how it is, everyone is always looking at what phone you are making calls from and judge you from there. Do you think maybe I should handcuff the phone to my hand?

BeefSupreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Showing off a phone died after the iphone 1.

I remember a couple of days after release all the employees of a chinese buffet crowdi g around my table to look.

Until holographic projection phones come out, no one cares anymore. Thats good.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
I plan to use it like every other iPhone I’ve ever had
For me, a friend of mine took a subway playing Candy Crush in the first 2 weeks of the iPhone 6 release get their phone swiped out of her hands just as the door was open for enough time that when the their did that and ran out, the door immediate closed and she lost her phone forever and could not pursue. She never used her phone for games in public now when she can avoid it.

Maybe it’s just that people don’t have any thought or care to this, but this is a $1,000+ iPhone in limited supply.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Gen 2 of x- people will be looking down at you........ "Oh..it's only a first gen..."
"generational" discrimination.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Assume in all cases you "Use it as a phone cause it is a phone." except for the bad choice, which assumes you don't have an iPhone X.

I am going to use it like a phone. I have things that cost way more (and are nicer) to be flashy with if I so desire than a mass-produced phone that anyone who can't even afford buys.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
In reality, I'm not the showy type. I work around a region with people who drives $100,000+ cars and live in $2-$5M homes. They could care less what phone I'm using and $1100+ is chump change.

I get tipped $20 like it's $2 to them. I go to Del Mar to watch Arrogate lose and I hear people saying they won $10,000 the day before or lost $5,000. These people are multi-millionaires chillin' out.

People like iJustine and MKBHD are rich too. MKBHD is only 25-years old and is worth $2M. Flaunt until they want it? That's not really me. We're all dust in the wind. Rewatch Groundhog Day. Hedonism is a temporary ego trip.

Reactions: eVolcre