Poll reveals what we already knew: Most teabaggers are racist

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Apr 8, 2010.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://depts.washington.edu/uwiser/racepolitics.html

In other breaking news, bears **** in the woods:
    bear-in-the-woods.jpg

2. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

3. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Newsflash:

0% of people with common sense believe teapartiers/teabaggers have a brain

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Huh? I always heard it was the Pope that $#**s in the woods.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The trouble with that BS is that the main gripes of the Tea Party people are about wasteful spending and about taxation policy. Sure, there's minor griping from other parts of the group about other issues, but those two are primary.

A Gallup poll of a few days ago described the group as a cross-section of the population as far as ages, education and incomes. That fits with what I know about those friends or acquaintances who have attended the various gatherings.

IQ? I've not attended, but I'm in sympathy with their complaints. I scored 1440 on the GRE. And you?

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Theres a problem with the way this survey was accomplished.. If I was handed a survey that had a question like "Do you think blacks are intelligent?" I would simply throw it away, as any sensible person would when asked such a idiotic question.

Also are there any sample questions from the survey? The administrator of the survey appears to be part of a few racially charged groups so it is likely these results are skewed to make a point.

I have emailed the lead of the survey for a copy.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That's interesting... you first state that there's "a problem the way this survey was accomplished" and then ask, "are there any sample questions from the survey".

How can you come to the first conclusion if you have no idea about the survey asked?

Do you always leap to such hasty conclusions?

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Because the results of the survey say that "xx% of whites think blacks are intelligent" If asked that particular question I would be done with the survey already. I want to know how they came to their conclusions even though I can already tell this survey was a crap fest.

I would personally be insulted to fill out a survey that lists races and asked me if I thought they were intelligent.

10. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

i'm a supporter of the tea party movement and I'm not racist at all, although I hate to see that some people are :( it brings us a bad name

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That may have been the result of the question, but neither your nor I know the wording of the question.

One can only hope it wasn't so simple (and stupid) as "Are blacks intelligent?"

I'd be curious to see how the questions were actually worded. Then I'd be happy to weigh in on the survey's value and validity.

12. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Alleged University of Washington political scientist, Christopher Parker, needs to learn how to spell the word "led" and not confuse it with the word "lead."

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

"Alleged" :rolleyes: University of Washington political scientist, Christopher Parker can be easily found by searching the UW's website.

14. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

The same findings might very well have been found among white democrats too, had they been surveyed. As I recall, a big chunk of the democrat party is made up of whites, which suggests that there is an element of racism in that party too. They also have the loin's share of black voters who almost certainly would be shown as having racist perceptions against whites if they were asked similar types of questions about whites, thus nudging the democrat party even farther into racism territory.

It is also possible that the whites surveyed would have given similar responses when ask the same questions about whites.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Cool. The Democratic Party is largely white but it is largely black. And on the evidence of total supposition, we're declaring the black portion to be just as bigoted as the teabaggers.

Yeah, I see. :rolleyes:

You might wanna cover that with a loin cloth.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Most surveys attempt to deal with "no response" and there's actually a sampling protocol to avoid this.

Good question. I'd like to see the original questions and their data as well, including sampling error, number of respondents, and sampling methodology.

It's possible, but I wouldn't throw out the survey just because of who the lead happens to be.

Let me know if you get some answers, I'm curious also.

17. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Are you not reading very closely, or are you just intentionally trying to distort what I said?

The democrat party is largely composed of whites. And I didn't say the democrat party is largely black, I said they have the lion's share of blacks, meaning that blacks have far greater representation in that party. What about these two statements do you find to be false?

I also didn't declare that blacks are just as bigoted as teabaggers, I said that they would almost certainly have racist perceptions against whites along similar lines tracked by the survey questions. Are you suggesting there is no racism among blacks?

18. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I would think a long term poll, with a large enough sample, would not find much different numbers for white people within the GOP. Thoughts?

But white Libertarians in the tea party movement are probably more likely to be socially liberal and somewhat less racist.

I would also think white Democrats in general to be the least racist of the three, but still far from a perfect example. Right?

I think you can make a survey of almost any white group or sample of people who are white (GOP members, teabaggers, Mercedes owners, college students at private universities, high school dropouts, elementary school children, Mac users, golfers, guitar players, etc) and find that race relations in America have a long ways to go.

At the same time, I think (as a minority myself), race relations have come a very, very long way. Look at our President, our former Secretary of State, or even the GOP leader. I think, at times, the relations between different minorities (Asians, Hispanics, Blacks, Arab Americans) have a much longer way to go, Eddie Murphy jokes aside. :)

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not at all. But let's go over it again.

First of all, your own prejudice is showing with that "democrat party" crap.

Second, explain how your sentence makes sense. The Democratic Party is far more diverse than the GOP or the Tea Party, and the home of the vast bulk of minorities. The fact that there are also a lot of whites indicates an element of racism?? Where does that come from?

That isn't even good weaseling.

Which brings me to my third point.

Got anything to grasp there besides air?

20. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

It's based on an assumption that racism also exists among white democrats and also among blacks. Do you have any evidence to refute this?

21. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

If you're claiming something exists, you are the one who must provide proof.

22. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I bet your teabaggers are more racist than white democrats - do you have any evidence to refute this?

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Of course not. I'm sure that racism exists.

I just can't make the leap, without any evidence, that it exists on a level similar to that of the UW survey.

The OP's link leads to a page in which there is no incorrect use of the word "lead". That page contains two links, one of which leads to four other pages, and in no case is the word "lead" used incorrectly. So what exactly are you talking about?

It follows, of course, that bears are Catholic. :D