Poll: Should Drug Testing be Mandatory in High School ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Feb 19, 2018.

?

Poll: Should High Schools Have Mandatory Drug Testing

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    90.5%
  1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

A private high school will have mandatory drug testing as part of it's curriculum. I'm not sure if we could ever do it in public schools but, do you think it's a good idea ?

I think that all schools should offer it but I can't see it being mandatory (i.e. it would need parents permission).

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Drug testing is somewhat of a sham since the only thing(notice I didnt call it a drug since its a plant) is cannabis. Its the only thng that stays in your system long enough to really be detected any length of time. So a drug test is a weed test and just toke or two off a dobie can cause a positive test result which is a joke. Im not going to get into the other drug test issues here but there are a bunch of them.

Then.... the cost. Whos picking up that tab? We already pay WAY too much for school taxes and the public school system is bloated beyond belief as it is.

I mean, I have daughters and one is a sophomore in High School. I dont want her doing hard drugs but the schools testing for it isnt the answer.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

This may look familiar to some folks.

Is there mere fact that one is a student at a public high school constitute probable cause to grant authorities the right to subject people to invasive searches of their persons?

I think in most cases the answer to this has to be: No.

What would constitute probable cause? Evidence that the student was impaired, the discovery of drug paraphernalia or other physical evidence, or reliable witness statements.

Unless the authorities have good reason to believe a student was using illicit narcotics, school authorities have no reasonable right to demand blanket drug testing of students at public high schools.

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I think parents should decide for themsleves if they want to drug test their children. I think it’s an invasion of privacy as some prescription drugs can interfere with the results and then have to be clarified with a doctor.

Drug use is something I believe professionals should handle, especially with kids, not a school that probably knows little about treating drug use.

It says this school plans on hair testing which would show drug use for the past 3 months.

Uribe testing I would say is not secure enough for school testing. As you alluded to, with urine tests have a limited detection time depending on the substance. They also can be cheated fairly easily. And the best results come from a lab which can get expensive. It also brings up privacy concerns if they want to “supervise”. Hair testing though expensive is probably cheaper in the long run.

5. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Cost vs. Benefit. Then there is the generally automatically applied stigma for a false positive.
    I don’t see it excluding some few exceptions like organized sports.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It depends on whether you are testing the students or the teachers. :p

7. 0007776 Suspended

Testing everyone is a waste of money. If our schools were fully funded and we had money left over I think it would be a good way to catch kids early and deal with drug abuse before it becomes much of a problem, but we don’t have the money for it.

8. Tech198 macrumors G5

You go to school to lean to to be a criminal for test guinea-pig. However students should be trusted as well..

(That's not gonna happen either), so in another way,, yea, drug testing in "selective" schools where kids won't behave. Save this drugs stuff for out of school hours. No parents permission required....

Your on their field... You abide by their rules.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Unless we raise taxes. Priorities.

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

11. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

No, simply because I think it will cost a fortune, potentially undermine already strained levels of trust, be something that a drug abuser can easily get around, and lead to little or no real-world benefit. Besides, most teen drug abuse seems to be declining.

12. 0007776 Suspended

Or redirect the money we already have from the military.

13. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Private schools are different. If public schools want to drug test, then there needs to be a path for recovery, not just suspension, or expulsion. Ruining a kids life just because he/she experimented with weed is really cruel. Getting them a counselor and teaching them about the consequences of doing drugs is far more effective than just throwing the book at them.

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's a private school, their funding is their problem.

With that said, say they identify a few kids. Now what? Because teenagers are receptive to reason, especially when it comes from their parents and teachers.

15. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

My goodness..."no" - absolutely not.

Sometimes you see a story like this and you wonder just exactly what kind of society would some of these people create if they could do anything they would like.

16. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I have no issue with random drug testing. I did it for 3 decades as an airline pilot.

Don’t most employee drug tests focus on illegal drugs? I imagine the same would be the same for students maybe adding in known abused over the counter drugs.

17. 0007776 Suspended

I really don’t care if a private school wants to do it. But I would hope they have enough funds for everything else the students need before they spend money on this.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well that's the joy of private. The parents and the school can decide that for themselves.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

THIS!!!

Unless they take blood or hair samples, drug tests are easily manipulated. Furthermore, there are plenty of drugs that are undetectable using normal drug testing or near impossible to detect just hours after usage.

Then you have to deal with the inevitable: Specific students being targeted for testing due to race, nationality, and class. This will cause controversy, law suits, and etc That's if you're talking about random testing.

Now if they test every one at the same time frame, then it will be known in advance, and users will temporary lay off usage until after the the drug test.

Basically ... IT WON'T WORK!!!!

20. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Especially in Georgia...
    I'd be very worried about that turning into a racial issue

21. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Sure can. My daughter gets nailed almost every time (our school system drug tests all athletes) by the mouth swab. Seems her Asthma inhaler flags it. I think they gave up testing her since she hasn't been chosen this year.

22. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I would have never passed a drug test in high school. Nor would I pass one today. Ahhh the joys of self employment.

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Historically employers only tested for illegal drugs- though there is still a chance of cross reactivity and false positives (ex Adderall would show up as Amphetamines, as it is an amphetamine). With the opioid issue lingering around a lot of employers are doing expanded opioid testing to test beyond the standard opioid panel (heroin/morphine/codiene) to test for things like oxycodone and hydrocodone.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Further Orwellian nonsense from the neighborhood authoritarians. I can see some edge cases where drug testing makes some sense, but as a policy for the entire student body, hell no.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 19, 2018 ---
    Me at 15:

"Does this test for beer?"
    "No."
    "Haha. I'll piss in five cups, then!"

25. Herdfan macrumors 6502

And living in a legal state.