Poll: Should new ATT switchers buy the iPhone 3g NOW?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcflirty99, Sep 5, 2008.

?

Buy iPhone now?

1. Yes, buy it now despite all the troubles people have my iPhone 3G is perfect

83.3%
  2. No, this iPhone is a shtload of bullcrap. I hate it and would not recommend it to anyone.

10.0%
  3. I love you mcflirty99

20.0%
  1. mcflirty99 macrumors member

Please vote. I want to see if I really should be spending this much based on the good qualities and bad qualities of the iPhone since all I'm hearing on the forum is bad complaints...

So is it that almost ALL iPhone 3G people have issues or just a fraction of the people who are having issues? (after all this is a support forum right? RIGHT?!)

2. icewing macrumors 6502

Go for it - I'm having very few issues and am very glad I got it.

3. ArmyMirage macrumors member

Coming up on my 30 days and I have had no issues with my phone other than sms keyboard lag, and that's fixable by closing and reopening the app. Everything else discussed on this forum is not applicable to my phone i.e. perfect wifi, 3g, syncing, no cracks, long battery life, even bezel.... I'm 110% satisfied with my purchase and with the added benefits (20% FAN, TSM4, CLL2, U200) is actually costing me less then my old phone.

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Very Satisfied.

I love my iPhone 3G. I have great connection, speed and most of all satisfaction. The one and only issue I have had is the Map App froze up on me when I was on the go. All I had to do was Reset one of the setting options under General --> Reset. Otherwise I'm more and more impressed with my 3G compared to my first generation iPhone. The reception is much improved, where I used to have no reception, I now do, and where I did before, it's now improved with more bars. The speeds I tend to see are almost always around 1.4 Mb/s on testmyiphone.com and this is actually better than when I tested the 3G at the Apple Store. Very Satisfied. Most seem to look around a help and rumor forum when looking to buy an iPhone. They are going to see mostly complaints and issues because they want them fixed. Where there are many unsatisfied probably around %1 (remember that the iPhone 3G sold 1 million devises in the first weekend). The few here are nothing compared to the people satisfied. Hope you have a good experience.:D

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I was one of those people who had major reception issues with my iphone 3G. However, somehow my reception has steadily improved in the NYC area--though its still not what I'd call satisfactory.

Ask the people you know in your area who already have a 3G what their experience has been and base your decision on that.

6. rwd hero macrumors 6502

To be 100% honest, yes you should buy the iPhone if you want it. Sure it has it's bugs, and downfalls, but it is seriously the smoothest operating system I have EVER used. Im not talking about on a cellphone, I'm talking about on anything. When you select something, it apears small I'm the center of the screen and grows to take over the whole screen, but on my windows mobile 8525, when you select something it just pops up. The phone is so easy to use it is rediculous. I absolutly love my 3g iPhone, and hope to use it for many years to come (or until another apple comes out with one that is somehow better than my current one). I recomend to everyone that is in the market for a "better than average" cellphone to look at the iPhone.

7. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I say buy it now.

But my opinion might be a bit biased since I <3 :apple:.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Chiming in, I'd say definitely buy it. Version 2.0 has its issues, but an update correcting them is supposed to be imminent. And after years of using other smartphone platforms, I wouldn't switch back even if this was as good as it got.

the bugs are pretty much slowness and crashes here and there. But unlike all the other smartphons I've had, I have never on an iPhone:

- Lost e-mails
    - Had my calendar ruined
    - Been in a situation where my data was lost or I was stuck unprepared.

Yet at least one of these things have happened to me on every WM, Palm, and Blackberry device I've owned. And I've always had each of them for a shorter time period than I've been using my iPhone.

9. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Wait

Don't buy it! I say this not because I think the 3G is a bad phone, but because the original has 90% or more of the functionality of the 3G and it is worth saving money for the next version.

The most important reason not to upgrade is because you will not be eligible for a subsidized upgrade when the next model is released next July. Waiting has many benefits and very few drawbacks. You will save $15 per month on not having a 3G data plan w/ texting, you won't have to shell out $200 now, AND you won't lose subsidizing pricing when the next model comes out. If your plan is less than $99.99 per month for a single phone line, AT&T's rules are that you have to wait at least 18 months before they will give you discounted pricing on a new phone. Secondly, 3G doesn't add a whole lot of functionality. 3G speeds are faster, of course, but anytime you can use WiFi completely negates that fact. The GPS isn't very useful just yet either. Of course I'm sure it will improve a lot before next July, but how many months will it be until it does? No one can be sure yet. Consider how useful GPS is to you anyways. Certainly you know by now how to get everywhere you go on a regular basis. How many times in the next 8 months will you literally need to be guided turn-by-turn to get some place new? I bet you could count it on one hand.

A great reason to hold off is the next iPhone model is very likely to have important hardware upgrades that the original and the 3G will never have, like:

Better camera - that's just a no-brainer.

More RAM, better processor - technically the 3G processor is underclocked (i.e. "sandbagging") but what it boils down to is the next model will have better hardware to run more intensive apps.

More flash memory - obviously, but this is never a bad thing.

Stereo AD2P bluetooth - listen to music with bluetooth headphones with stereo sound, not just for phone conversations!

More external buttons? - an additional physical button can add a LOT of functionality. For example, it could be used as a shutter for the camera, to activate voice dialing, or maybe even programmed to run whatever app you want. Whether or not the new model does have something like this, it is certain that the 3G never will ;)

Video recording and MMS! - yeah, they can be added by software, but it has yet to happen, and I really doubt these features will come to the current iPhones before next summer. And how fun would it be to have a brand new phone when we get these features :)

And who knows what else!

I'm not saying to wait forever for better features and never buy a new one. But in my opinion, the 3G doesn't add enough to justify the money. You save on your monthly bill, you don't have to shell out $200 right now, AND you keep your subsidy so you can buy the new model next July for cheaper. If you upgrade now, then decide you like the new model enough to buy it then, you will have to pay out the full price to get it :( Just consider all things for yourself and see if you think it is worth it.

P.S. I voted "I love you."

10. mcflirty99 thread starter macrumors member

You know what? I think you're right...

Let me see if ATT will accept my cc right now and i'll get back to you shortly.

11. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I have had my phone for about six weeks now, and I am VERY happy with it. A slight "lag" in opening some programs may take 3 seconds, but that's a heck of a lot better than not having an iPhone at all ! I use the maps and internet on the phone all the time. The maps helps me find nearby businesses and restaurants when I don't know exactly where they are. The other day, I was shopping for an item at a specific store, and I entered the store name in, and 12 of them popped up on the map, along with the ability to click on their phone numbers. Having the internet in my pocket is priceless! Whenever I need to Google or Wikipedia something, I can anywhere, anytime. It makes my quality of life so much better!!! :)

12. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I know what you mean! I took a trip to with family this summer and was trying to figure out where I could buy a rash guard. I wasn't sure which stores even sold them considering I don't live near a beach. Used maps just like a phone book while running other errands, called around, and was back home with my rash guard in time for dinner.

Just an example of how the original can do virtually everything the 3G can.

13. mcflirty99 thread starter macrumors member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=559970

14. mcflirty99 thread starter macrumors member

ok why the **** does the ATT website say i'm ****ing not over 18 years of age even when my birthday passed yesterday?

I've been waiting and ****...

And now, I put the bday as 1988 and it works ... i don't even have any credit and it just let me pass through...

but i'm gong to call up att tomorrow and see whatsup or if their servers just update like at 4:00 AM today or something crazy like that

15. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

16. mcflirty99 thread starter macrumors member

lol no, i'm kinda scared of ATT like callingme up and putting me to jail

these MR ppl told me i'd face like 50 years in prison for faking a contract.

anyways, i guess i have to wait for servers to be updated or something and call ATT!

17. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Gotta have a rash guard ! :)

Where do you surf? I live in the area of Huntington Beach and Newport Beach.

18. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Here, let me check to see if you are elegible right now. I'll see if I can
    prequalify you. (half a second passes). Nope. It says you don't qualify.

Oh wait! Look here! It says you may be eligible for an iPod Touch!

19. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Rofl

haha Ok, well good luck tomorrow.

Sorry I didn't realize that you don't have the original. In that case I would say definitely buy it! I have never used a phone as much as I use the iPhone. I put all my homework assignments in it, class times, study sessions, and mettings, and wake up to the alarm. Timer is a breeze for staying on top of laundry too. Between classes I can surf the web on or off of wifi, listen to music, text, call, WHATEVER. It's just awesome.

20. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I don't, actually. Went to a vacation in Hawaii and I have a lot of embarrassing scars on my chest. Rash guard was a very stylish solution.

I lived in Huntington Beach until I was 7, actually! I went to Newport elementary school :p

21. mcflirty99 thread starter macrumors member

lol @ you lovebirds

i qualify for the iphone 3g without credit history

maybe uit's because i'm a student on a FAN account?

22. BVsmurfette macrumors member

edited cuz i found the answer to my own question :)

23. thaevster macrumors newbie

Buy it as a phone with ONE big caveat, make sure you have 3G coverage in your area!!!

I was about to buy the new 3G but didn't like the fact it was more expensive per month. So when I found the store in my area still had one or two first gen's left, I did some digging.

AT&T's 3g network is budding at best. There are many areas that don't get 3g coverage at all, so there will be no benefit from you having the 3g, PLUS you will have to pay the extra per month REGARDLESS of whether you have access to the 3g or not.

Needless to say, I bought the old one and love it...