Poll: Should President Obama Pardon Hillary Clinton

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Nov 12, 2016.

?

Should Hillary be Pardoned

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    81.8%
  1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Do you think that Hillary should be pardoned by president Obama before he leaves office ?

As much as I would like to see Hillary held accountable, I hope she is pardoned. I think four more years or more of investigations / trials will be counter productive for everyone.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

its over let her die. that money is better spent on investigating trump.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Since a pardon implies guilt I doubt that Hillary would accept one (can you accept/refuse a pardon?)

In any event, Obama isn't going to pardon Hillary and Trump isn't going to indict Hillary. In a year, they'll all be gathered in Mar-a-Lago clinking champagne glasses.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Pardoned for what?

I was just reading a Wikipedia article on Nixon, which said Nixon had to be persuaded to accept a pardon, and that accepting the pardon meant he admitted guilt. I don't know how accurate that is, but at least the editors at Wikipedia think you can accept/refuse pardons, and accepting means you admit guilt.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You should have included a second poll do you think Dubya and Cheney should have been pardoned? :)

I don't believe Hillary will ever be charged, but if will end the seemingly endless vindictive efforts on behalf of Congressional GOP members, it would serve to turn the page and move on for god's sake.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Depends if the left is planning on bringing her out again in 2020, if Obama pardons her she basically can't run for office ever again.

Not really sure if losing at a presidential election twice and coming back for a third run is even a thing though or if she's commented on it. Personally believe she should just fade into irrelevance quietly.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Pardon Clinton for what, breathing while being a politician?

Let's not pardon the new Prez-elect Trump for that one in advance of his inauguration, that's all I ask.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You have no worries in this regard, her presidential aspirations are finished.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 12, 2016 ---
    Lol. He may need a pardon, but can he give himself one? :)

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

On the topic at hand, Trump should come out and basically say "we have work to do, we aren't going to be distracted by things that don't matter (Hillary)"

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I remember reading a piece where he sorta said that but I should fish up the citation in case he forgets.

12. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Why not? It would be yet another gift from Obama to the Republicans.

13. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

There's no admission of guilt in a pardon like this. It would be for crimes she committed or might have committed. The language of this pardon would be interesting. Would it only pertain to her time as SoS or include past deeds of the Foundation if any were found?

Thus ending the need to drag or bog down federal departments and divide the country. As much as I hate Clinton a pardon is tolerable to end the madness.

14. 1458279 Suspended

We brought Ford in front of congress over his pardons.

Bill Clinton pardoned convicted terrorist that didn't even ask for a pardon.
    Bill Clinton pardoned Mark Rich.

It's pretty clear that 1/2 this nation does NOT want to be a nation of laws. They will always Pray to their Gods, Hillary and Obama... Hillary and Obama will always look down on the "little people" while doing nothing for them.

This "no frontal lobe" sheep need to find a nation that has no laws. The US needs to become a nation of laws and stop Praying to these false Gods.

15. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

There is no admission of guilt but she would have to accept the pardon.

16. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

My guess is that this would be handled behind closed doors. If pardoned it would be done with prior knowledge she would accept. The wording of the pardon would be so that it was legally defensible and her public response would be well prepared in advance.

17. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

He will pardon her, and Bill, for any and all crimes committed, intentionally or unintentionally, while she served as Secretary of State or Senator. What will be more interesting is if the Justice Department appoints a special prosecutor anyway to look into the Clinton Foundation. Obama won't pardon the entire staff, and some of them were clearly involved in selling access to foreign governments. That's treason.

18. jerwin macrumors 65816

If Obama doesn't pardon Clinton-- Trump will.

Seriously, the underlying activity does not amount to a crime, much less a crime that can be proven in Court. If Trump pardons Clinton, he enjoys the appearance of magnanimity,and manages to smear Clinton one last time with the implication that the scandals do have some basis in reality. If he actually presses with his revanchism, it could prove politically costly.

19. 1458279 Suspended

The pardon would have to be for a lot more than just Hillary. Everyone involved with the Clinton Foundation would have to be pardoned.

Every person that got an email would have to be pardoned. This whole web goes very, very deep. The reason it's important is that we came within a few percentage points of electing the most corrupt person in government history to the White House.

Not only that, but nearly 1/2 the nation is blindly praying to God Hillary that they can't see that she too needs to obey the law.

If there's no consequence to breaking the law, what do we need laws for?

We either enforce the laws for everyone equally or we have no laws. Either way, just pick one.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 12, 2016 ---
    This is the important part. IDK if Obama will pardon or not. The very fact that we are discussing this should be enough proof that something illegal happened.

If Obama does pardon, that would admit that she did something illegal. I imagine he would have to word it as "we need to put this silliness behind us" This will be a cover for "we all know she's corrupt"

It's not enough to let her just lose the election and be done with it. We need to hold everyone to the same laws. She was never supposed to be above the law.

Notice also, how anyone here that says "let her go" doesn't talk about being above the law.

20. jerwin macrumors 65816

A recent article in the New York Review of Books puts it this way.
    Why you won't get your day in Court.

Now, Hillary Clinton can well afford a legal team. It might be good enough to defend against an extremely well motivated prosecutor. But there's still an element of uncertainty associated with these things. A pardon versus the non-negligable risk of serving as the nation's most high profile political prisoner? I wouldn't presume to make that choice for her.

21. CE3 macrumors 6502a

No, they wouldn't have to be pardoned. I agree with those who've said that Hillary doesn't want a pardon and would likely not accept one. A Trump administration pursuing this investigation would be a horrible move on their part. Trump's already changing his tune and playing nice with the Clintons again.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I remember reading somewhere that Nixon considered pardoning himself.

What, where there is smoke, there is fire? My dad was once cooking fish and it was giving off a lot of smoke, so a neighbor thought our apartment was on fire and called the fire department. Ok, there was fire, on the stove, but not the kind of fire that needed the fire department.

23. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

As much as I would like to see her prosecuted, I think this is a better outcome for the country. Hillary needs to just go give some speeches and be a full time grandmother. Her time in politics is over.

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

God willing and the creek don't rise. There's a season for everything... Ecclesiastes said so :) so it must be true as true could be at the time, but the same book offers some other and less well known wisdoms, here's one I try to keep in mind

Ecclesiastes 6:12 KJV

For who knoweth what is good for man in this life, all the days of his
    vain life which he spendeth as a shadow? for who can tell a man what
    shall be after him under the sun?
    The investigations into Clinton are already legendary in their duration. No one could be faulted for not having tried to bring her to justice or ruin, however one cares to view it. Time to move on.