Poll: should the public know if the POTUS/SCOTUS/COTUS is under investigation?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Mar 21, 2017.

?

Should we know about a federal investigation on any one of the three branches?

1. Yes - Always (public should always be informed)

18 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. Maybe - Depending on the investigation (explain)

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. No - Never (unless investigation is over)

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yesterday Comey did something unprecedented, and released information about a current investigation because it was about the POTUS. Without going into the merits of THIS specific investigation, do you think that the public should be always informed if the POTUS, SCOTUS Justices, or members of Congress are under federal investigation?

go to hell midget will always be accepted as an answer.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

going with "no" & "got to hell midget", as it may hinder international relations to a degree.

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I voted yes. We are a government of the people supposedly. We should know if a current sitting member is under investigation.

I'd vote go to hell midget but @jkcerda is already behind enemy lines.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if anything it should be AFTER the investigation was over ,, and no worries, I am properly armed to be here :D

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The only problem I see with knowing while an investigation is ongoing is the court of public opinion. We already see how that goes with police shootings.

6. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

President works for us(the people) so we should know about it.

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I definitely think we need to know.

It's likely that some people voted for Trump because of the investigations into Hillary. The ironic thing for Trump voters, is they just might have voted for the only candidate under investigation as I believe the stuff with Hillary was done.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yes.

That way you know why certain investigators are getting fired. ;)

9. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Public acknowledgment or confirmation of the investigation would taint it. By both via the court of public opinion and allowing the investigated time to "cover up" or engender a "fix". We should have an investigation not a political media trial.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What prevents the official whom is in charge of an investigation from getting fired because of it then (Nixon years)?

11. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Not quite sure what you are asking...

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Didn't the Senate investigate Nixon? Currently the FBI director is appointed for a period of 10 years aren't they?

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Before I answer, let me ask these two questions, especially for those who were alive and not children at the time:

1. Did the people know that the POTUS was under investigation during Watergate?
    2. Did the people know that the POTUS and his administration were under investigation during Iran-Contra?
    I ask, because while I was alive then, I was under 2 during Watergate, and was too busy either playing with my Transformers or breakdancing on a flat-laid cardboard box to care about Iran-Contra.

BL.

14. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

FBI investigation <> Congress investigation
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2017 ---
    1) if I remember correctly the FBI released the information when the specific investigation was over, first about the break in, then after they verified the conspiracy

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Yeah I kinda blended in two thoughts into one. Congress/Senate investigations are their own beasts. He was question what happens if the investigator gets fired, my answer to that was the FBI director is appointed and is there for 10 years.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Nixon knew he was being investigated and tried to use the power of the office of the president to have the guy in charge of the investigation fired. Known as the "Monday night massacre" he tried to have the special prosecutor (therefore the discussion of the head of the FBI is moot) fired for the very act of investigating the president.

If the public isn't allowed to know about an investigation into the president, and the president fires the person leading it (essentially killing it), and that person legally can't disclose the cause for firing, then how would the public ever know that a president abused their powers to cover their own ass?

17. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

When he tried to kill the investigation he wasn't the one under investigation. Halderman was and convinced Nixon to cover up everything.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Thanks.

This leads me to believe that #2 would be the same, up until the hearings for it, because hearings would come after the evidence is able to be presented, which would come after the investigative process.

With that, seeing that the first two steps in any investigation are to:
    1. preserve the evidence, and
    2. do not let anything/anyone jeopardize the integrity of the investigation
    I'm leaning toward no. However:

This is a damn good counter to that argument. So here is a third question:

Does knowing that there is an investigation in general compromise or jeopardize the integrity of the investigation?

I ask that, because, for example, Trump's tweet during Comey's hearing certainly could have fallen under interfering/jeopardizing that investigation.

BL.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The principle stands. IF a president is under investigation, especially one as spiteful as this, what is to stop an abuse of power to squash it before it gets out? It already appears that the NY State attorney that got canned was in the middle of investigating Tom Price...which I'm sure his firing had nothing to do with. :rolleyes:

20. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

oh one note. It was the Saturday Night Massacre, not Monday. Kissinger was in a secret meeting with Brezhnev in Moscow and found himself in full power of all the foreign policy of the US because at that point Nixon could not even talk to him. Kissinger reported that he called Secretary Rogers and yelled at him; he mentioned that it was very unusual - not that he yelled but that he complained about having too much power.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Good god, I've mixed up the current nickname of the firing of US attorneys ("Monday Night Massacre") with the Nixon scandal, good eye.

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The NY attorney was fired because he was asked to resign and refused, which is common practice during Presidential transitions.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

24. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

That's not even an voting option. This abused midget should be under investigation.

25. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Of course the public should know. It's well within the public interest.