Poll shows Americans fed up with Washington

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Here's a little something that backs up what a lot of us liberals have been saying here for a long time:

While people can be forgiven for thinking that both parties need to compromise more (the Dems have been doing all the compromising; the Republicans just say "no"), you can understand why they're frustrated with both parties.

You can also see that Scott Brown's election was hardly a ringing endorsement of conservatism; it was more like a desperation cry from the voters who, seeing no other way out, are wildly swinging from one party to the other, seeking to punish whoever is in power...or who would be electing more liberal candidates if they weren't sitting home in disgust.

And while (ahem!) certain conservative posters may delight in Obama's numbers, they should note his personal popularity. It doesn't take a lot of reading between the lines to realize that his low numbers stem from the fact that he is not liberal enough for a lot of us.

The Dems' big problem is that enthusiasm edge. They need to find some liberal, transformative candidates that will actually give their party enough control in Washington to do something, instead of wallowing around in this Republican-Blue Dog morass we're stuck in.

And now let's sit back and watch the teabaggers apply their spin.

2. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

:rolleyes:

Oh please... spinning the Revolution in Massachusetts to anything less than it most definitely is - a complete capitulation of Democrat Ted Kennedy's decades long seat of liberalism over to the conservative Republican Party by Massachusetts' voters - is way beneath Democrats. Learn from it. The Democrat Party ignored the voter gatherings this past summer, ignored the cental veritas of the town meetings, and ignored the voter wrath at Democrat spending and growth of federal government. The sons and daughters of liberty corrected the situation. Learn from it. Scott Brown brought true conservatism to the voters and they responded. Learn from it. Conservatism's gains in Governor seats in Virginia and New Jersey, and a decades-old Senate seat switching over to the GOP in Massachusetts, expresses the will of the center right majority who have had quite enough, thank you, of liberalism and are "fed up" with it. No more. Learn from it.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The voters need to take some responsibility, too. Electing monsters (actually, I don't think Brown is a monster, but I think the teabaggers are) as a reactionary move against perception of bad politicians is inexcusable -- it's cutting one's nose off to spite one's face.

When the voters clearly supported public-option healthcare, as a large number of them did, we should all have been much more vocal to our politicians for putting together a bill that did what we want. It's all fine and good for Obama to have been willing to accept a variety of solutions to healthcare from Congress, but it was not okay for us to let our representatives barter away the parts of the healthcare bill that we wanted in order to gain parts for which we did not ask.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

As I said on another forum about the Google-China issue.

The US government seems to be all talk these days, and much more so than other countries, so its not surprising people are fed up with Washington.

+1

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Uh, right, so what was the Democrat's picking up NY-23, a seat held by republicans since the Civil War era? Just a fluke? :rolleyes:

6. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Could you elaborate on the reasoning behind your perception of the Tea Party movement as "monsters" in any sense? I disagree but I'd like to hear your reasoning nontheless....

Interesting reply but I don't think NY-23 is equatable here as an example; as you recall, in that race, the Democratic candidate, Bill Owens won only because the alleged Republican in race, Dede Scozzafava, withdrew late in the campaign leaving her replacement, conservative Doug Hoffman, little time to organize even a basic campaign... The GOP was clearly at fault here... certainly this race did little to trumpet Democrats over Republicans in the larger sense.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Oh, bull****. If Americans truly did want to embrace conservatism or whatever, they would've voted for Hoffman. Voters in NY-23 knew who he was and his positions, the race was nationalized and all over the news. NY-23 voters knew him and still rejected him.

Besides, if bad campaigns are an excuse as you're claiming, then that's the only reason Brown won, because Coakley ran a terrible campaign.

8. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

(bold added by me)

To cut to the chase, are you saying the events of late (e.g. Brown election, Obama's numbers, focus on jobs, tightening spending, etc.) (1) don't have anything to do with voters desiring a more conservative path, but rather (2) have to do with voters desiring a more liberal path? Not putting words in your mouth; just trying to understand what exact point you are making.

9. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

The "true" conservative that was in the race was about as smart as a rug. It's amazing he did as well as he did.

10. djellison macrumors 68020

Us Brits are frankly bored stiff with our idiots in Westminster. This coming general election will have an epic epic low turnout - nobody gives a damn anymore.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed, they aren't particularly impressive. I'm finding it difficult to decide who to vote for in May, probably the Green party (who aren't a major party).

Though at least you can say the Labour party (and the Conservatives before them) achieved something positive when they were in power (the NHS improvements for the former and the national curriculum for the latter for example), which is difficult to say for the recent US politicians.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't understand how you could judge that democrats have compromised more then the Republicans, the democrats are holding all of the cards. It would be like me having 100 dollars and you having 0, I give you 2 bucks and then bitch you out for being greedy by not giving me any back. ;)

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's easy- we started out with a pretty good bill. Then the Republicans and Blue dogs cried till nothing liberal was left in the bill. The concessions all came from the left. And don't worry, we fault them as well.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You were appeasing the blue dogs (which are democrats) then, that is compromising with your own party. The republicans were not needed for this legislation (obviously from the vote counts at the end).

15. MotleyPete macrumors regular

Politicians fear being ignored way more than they fear being opposed. They need the attention to keep their tyrannical business in operation.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think they're motivated by rage, rather than by any desire to make this country a better place. I think this is clear by the utter lack of foresight shown by their proposals. Responding only to one's own rage is my very definition of monstrosity.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

While I don't associate myself with the tea-party goers, the time for civil discussion on these matters has long passed, its clear that the Republicans and Democrats do not listen to us, I am not for violence, but rage is well within reason at this point from both sides especially with the flopping of the health care bill. We need to clean house.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm fine with housecleaning by anyone whose fundamental goal is to make America a better place and to enable Americans to live better lives. As I said, I don't think the tea party people fit that description.

19. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Thank you for responding. While I disagree it is important to see how we are perceived by others. Might I suggest, if the opportunity arises, you visit one of these Tea Party protests; you might come away with a different perception. There are events scheduled throughout the nation all through 2010.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If you don't think Republicans had anything to do with that, you're kidding yourself.

Me neither. I've seen nothing hatred from those people. And their messages aren't even coherent.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The New American Tea Party is "a coalition of citizens and organizations concerned about the recent trend of fiscal recklessness in government...

This is about government forking over billions of dollars, OUR MONEY, to businesses that should have failed. This is about taking money from responsible people and handing it over to CEOs who squandered their own.

We are not opposing any specific legislation or politician. We are instead addressing the broader philosophical implications of a government that has grown too large and too distant from the very citizens it taxes."

http://newamericanteaparty.com/about/

The only thing is that there had been fiscal recklessness going on for quite a long time.

22. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

No need to actually go to a Tea Party, you can watch from home . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUPMjC9mq5Y

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The problem is your rallies have too much of an anti-obama feel to them, I can't get on board with people who simply hate the president, or hate democrats. The common American is for fiscal responsibility, the tea-party needs to weed out all the people who are there just to hate on Obama though.

24. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Then the tea-party wouldn't exist. Just like it didn't exist before Obama.

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

They're not my rallies, ZA. :) I'm not in with tea party movement, just fyi.